Giants Stadium Drum Corps Memories

I said:

"I finally got my only chance to perform there with the Cabs Alumni in exhibition at the Cadets' contest, 1999, I believe."

Fran replied:

"1999 it was . . . you guys really rocked the place that day. That was the last drum corps show I announced there until the final one last year.

Fran"

Thanks for the kind remarks, Fran. After we helped opened the show in exhibition that evening, I remember stopping by the Santa Clara Vanguard souvenir table during the contest, wearing my Alumni Corps jacket. An 'older' gentleman working the table could hardly contain himself telling me how much he had enjoyed our performance. He remarked about the Off the Line from the corner, a 'real concert number' and a number of other things that he enjoyed seeing and hearing that reminded him of his marching days. It surprised (and pleased) the heck out of me to hear that from a top DCI corps support staff person.

Some have compared losing Giants Stadium to losing Roosevelt Stadium, site of the Dream, the Preview of Champions, the First World Open and the 1966 VFW Nationals. While I understand, I still think losing Roosevelt has left a bigger 'hole' in our collective drum corps memories.

But consider this: Within the space of two years, we have now lost Shea Stadium, Yankee Stadium and Giants Stadium. (My first time ever in Shea was for the NY Daily News Junior/Senior Contest in 1964!) I have marched in all three, doing several Jets and Giants football game halftimes, and playing between games of Sunday or holiday double headers for the Mets and Yankees. July 4, 1966, my first year in Hawthorne we played Yankee Stadium between games (and between several parades too!). And -- I'm sure many of us still lament the loss of Baltimore's old Municipal Stadium as well, site of the Yankee Rebels' yearly contest.

Sorry for the slight off-topic digression!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kyle asked:

"You are a graduate of Bergenfield too?"

No. Sorry, Kyle. What I meant was that the Bergenfield Band was the halftime exhibition at the one Jets game I attended in Giants Stadium. I don't remember the year, but I went with a friend who had season tickets, and we sat right over the entrance to the 'tunnel' where the band came out for halftime. That's one reason I recall so clearly that they were the halftime show. Didn't mean to mislead.

I don't remember the year, but I went with a friend who had season tickets, and we sat right over the entrance to the 'tunnel' where the band came out for halftime.

So you were the guys throwing beer on them. :tongue:

Fran

1984 Gran Prix ....The FIRST time I saw the Marine Drum Corps...My dad introduced me to Captain (at the time) TRUMAN CRAWFORD. I shook his hand and said I'd march in his corps one day...I reminded him of this conversation my FIRST day at 8th and I....HE REMEMBERED.

All my other memories of that stadium are ACTUALLY just echoes from past performances still whipping around that field...Hearing things on my LEFT that are happening on my RIGHT....and

SAINT FRANCIS PREP's MARCHING BAND COMING IN 17th AND WINNING DRUMS....this could only happen in that god-forsaken place....May that bowl rest in pieces....SOMEONE GET ME A SEAT!!!

Hey Gene! Aren't you being just a little too hard on the place? It wasn't all that bad. I can think of a few other venues I marched in that weren't so great, ones that made Giants Stadium look really good. The Yale Bowl immediately comes to mind for starters.

Stay warm and dry and away from the snow!

Fran -

A belayed thanks for your comment about our show (Cabs Alumni) in Giants Stadium in 1999. That year we played an arrangement of the Muchacho's "Maryann". I'm not sure how many people remember this, but we had a "guest" soloist, Jeff Kievet(sp?). He recreated his performance, down to his original uniform! I don't think too many people realized that he was there. When we finished the show, he was grinning ear to ear and commented that he had a wonderful time bringing back some old memories.

Some of the competing corps also commented on our performance - perhaps a bit shocked that "old timers" could still march and play a bit. There were quite a number of people commenting on the volume of sound that we produced (particularly from the competing corps).

And yes, I remember the show in 1979. I swear you could cook an egg on the field that day. For some unknown reason, I vaguely remember someone mention a temp of 105 degrees, on the field. The first aid squad was kept very busy that day, having to take care of several corps members after each performance.

Frank Zuber

Cabs competing 1972 - 1980

Cabs Alumni 1998 - 201?

I said:

"I finally got my only chance to perform there with the Cabs Alumni in exhibition at the Cadets' contest, 1999, I believe."

Fran replied:

"1999 it was . . . you guys really rocked the place that day. That was the last drum corps show I announced there until the final one last year.

Fran"

Thanks for the kind remarks, Fran. After we helped opened the show in exhibition that evening, I remember stopping by the Santa Clara Vanguard souvenir table during the contest, wearing my Alumni Corps jacket. An 'older' gentleman working the table could hardly contain himself telling me how much he had enjoyed our performance. He remarked about the Off the Line from the corner, a 'real concert number' and a number of other things that he enjoyed seeing and hearing that reminded him of his marching days. It surprised (and pleased) the heck out of me to hear that from a top DCI corps support staff person.

Some have compared losing Giants Stadium to losing Roosevelt Stadium, site of the Dream, the Preview of Champions, the First World Open and the 1966 VFW Nationals. While I understand, I still think losing Roosevelt has left a bigger 'hole' in our collective drum corps memories.

But consider this: Within the space of two years, we have now lost Shea Stadium, Yankee Stadium and Giants Stadium. (My first time ever in Shea was for the NY Daily News Junior/Senior Contest in 1964!) I have marched in all three, doing several Jets and Giants football game halftimes, and playing between games of Sunday or holiday double headers for the Mets and Yankees. July 4, 1966, my first year in Hawthorne we played Yankee Stadium between games (and between several parades too!). And -- I'm sure many of us still lament the loss of Baltimore's old Municipal Stadium as well, site of the Yankee Rebels' yearly contest.

Sorry for the slight off-topic digression!

John, that was Memorial Stadium in Baltimore. I was there in 67 and 68 with Sun. I also marched in that Daily News show in Shea Stadiuim in 64 with Selden. We were horrible that day. I recall it being very hot for May.

1984 Gran Prix ....The FIRST time I saw the Marine Drum Corps...My dad introduced me to Captain (at the time) TRUMAN CRAWFORD. I shook his hand and said I'd march in his corps one day...I reminded him of this conversation my FIRST day at 8th and I....HE REMEMBERED.

All my other memories of that stadium are ACTUALLY just echoes from past performances still whipping around that field...Hearing things on my LEFT that are happening on my RIGHT....and

SAINT FRANCIS PREP's MARCHING BAND COMING IN 17th AND WINNING DRUMS....this could only happen in that god-forsaken place....May that bowl rest in pieces....SOMEONE GET ME A SEAT!!!

Hey Gene....I bet you remember your birthday in 1978....120 people singing to you.

Tim

John, that was Memorial Stadium in Baltimore. I was there in 67 and 68 with Sun. I also marched in that Daily News show in Shea Stadiuim in 64 with Selden. We were horrible that day. I recall it being very hot for May.

Selden sounded good to me that day.....I always liked that show.........I was in BS at the time , yeah we won.. Do you remember that Dusseldorf Fanfaren Corp from Germany that did the exhibition? What the hell were they all about......???? LOL

Selden sounded good to me that day.....I always liked that show.........I was in BS at the time .. Do you remember that Dusseldorf Fanfaren Corp from Germany that did the exhibition? What the hell were they all about......???? LOL

BTW Selden at the World Open......wow excellent horn job. Ask Bob Murphy what I said about that show!

Edited by Fossil50