WGI Regional Reviews?

BAPiTgrl

I Have A Quickie:

Emanon - Trumbull - Mineola (im biased) - Sac - Highlights of the day for me!

that's not a review. it's a list of 4 guards.

Edited by ATXguard

Well I was there for Finals. I tend to reveiew more on the Scholasic programs snse that's my roots. That being said, I should mention a few in Independent that strood out to me...

Blessed Sac - one of their more "deep" shows with some very intricate saber work (as usual) and some good flag moments. The show seemed to be about wanting to speak out on issues and being supressed..... or at least that was my interpretation. They had this interesting concept whereby a performer was on a small rotating platform, silent and still, and they seemed almost like a mannequin. It was a really interesting show and I look forward to how it will progress.

Both Blessed Sac and St Brendans Independent A were a HOOT to watch. Neither were conceptual per say but they were outrageous perfromers with DIVA SABERS. I'd much prefer to watch a hundred of them than most of the Scholastic A Class. Speaking of which -

I really enjoyed three of the SA programs.... Mineola won the class. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure they did their entire program integrated with chairs, making their show one of the more memorable ones of the day. Newtown HIgh School was chasing shooting stars. I expect them to continue to get stronger and stronger. THey have a lot of great moments in their show and it was one of the more clean, emotional programs, at least for me. I also kind of liked Bethel, who did a show about sailing. It started off with three really strong sabers. Then the rest of the guard joined in, who weren't nearly as strong in terms of talent but I couldn't help but appreciate what they were doing because those kids looked like they were 10 years old. Smooth show, cute kids... good for them.

In Scholastic Open was one of my favorite guards of the day - Norwalk. Crystal clean, polished and lovely. High tosses that were flawlessly executed - it was nice to see after a day of early-season messiness. It was a well deserved win in the SO Class and I expect this group to do very well this year. THey already looked like it was the end of March!

Shenendehowah was another nice group to watch. If not for the dropsey run, it would have been a more exciting show because at least it was a show with memorable moments and some complexity to it. I expect nothing less from a guard coming down from World Class. WIth some attention to detail and better hands, I expect to see this group again in Dayton. They were on one of their infamous velvet floors again, but this time with a pathway from one end to the other. I heard through the rumor mill that Jon Vanderkof designed this show so no wonder I liked the complexities of it, and no wonder this group felt "back".

Bunell (Bunnell?) is a little tougher to review on because I think I may have witnessed just a very rough run. Kids had trouble executing the show which was compact with high tosses and major GE moments that couldn't complete themselves. They did the show "Ghost" which was a cool concept but nerves must have just gotten in the way. STick with it. The music was Unchained Melody of course with overlays of Ghost.

In Scholastic World was my favorite of the day..... out comes Trumbull High School in their military greens and black war-time faces. One after another after another another - there had to be 30 of them. From the minute they walked out on to the floor you just knew, THIS was a different Trumbull than year's past. The show starts with two girls holding a hand stand for 20 seconds while the rest of the guard is silent and still..... chills..... as SILENT NIGHT rang out. The rest of the show does not disappoint. Look for them to be top 6 this year at Dayton. Trumbull has ARRIVED. They will be compared to the top groups this year because their show is extremely complex and the performers look like they were stolen out of Flanagan's war show of long ago (in a great way!). For me, this was the highlight of the day and the only time I stood up out of my seat and put down the popcorn.

South Brunswick did a show called Reflections and it looked like they had pictures of their former shows and performers on the floor. Not a bad little show for their first year in the World Class. Some strong saber moments combined with strong performers was the difference between open and world class for this group. It was tough to have their only competition be Trumbull. I think if they stay the course and continue to build the show every week, it's going to be fun and exciting to watch. It's only February after all!

The Troy Regional reviews are posted on WGI.org

I didn't get a chance to see that many groups besides my own. However, Troy is a much better facility than where it was held before, so hopefully more out-of-state guards will come next year!

My own reviews:

State of Art is off the hook innovative and fun to watch. The girls really work it out on the floor with amazing movement and weapon work. It's definitely an edgier production and it's just an exhilirating ride.

Interplay A is solid and pushing A class, they should do well this year.

Interplay World has beautiful flags and are very clean - I'm looking forward to the surprises I'm sure they're going to add as the season progresses!

Walled Lake Central Open is strong again this year and are using another piece from the movie ONCE. Their weapon work is strong, innovative and expressive. These kids do not perform like high school kids and really draw you in from the moment they take the floor.

I heard great things about Lincoln-Way and Reeths-Puffer in Sch A, but didn't get a chance to see them. BUT, the Fan Network folks say the shows should be up today and tomorrow! Woohoo!

WAS ALTER EGO THERE?

Blessed Sac - one of their more "deep" shows with some very intricate saber work (as usual) and some good flag moments. The show seemed to be about wanting to speak out on issues and being supressed..... or at least that was my interpretation. They had this interesting concept whereby a performer was on a small rotating platform, silent and still, and they seemed almost like a mannequin. It was a really interesting show and I look forward to how it will progress.

Edited by colorguardbear

Yep - the show's on Fan Network.

Much more mature look than last year with pleasant earth tones and a full cast.

WAS ALTER EGO THERE?