video'$

dugg

what are your thoughts on your guard being video taped and those images then sold for a profit on color guard websites?

who owns your intellectual property and who controls the rights to disseminate or broadcast said property? :smile:

what are your thoughts on your guard being video taped and those images then sold for a profit on color guard websites?

who owns your intellectual property and who controls the rights to disseminate or broadcast said property? :smile:

I'm pretty sure that unless that website has worked out all of the licensing and sync issues with the copyright holders, and more than likely paying royalties, then they are probably breaking copyright law. Think about it. This is a HUGE issue that involves a lot of time and money to work through for BOA, DCI, and WGI. If it's a challenge and $$$ for those organizations, I can't see anyone else being able to play that game. But I could be wrong.

Either way, unless you signed some contract saying that web site can record you and put it up, then you have every right that they not record you and that they remove any previous recordings.

Unless there is a waiver of copyright for the show and the music (both of them, those designers are working artists) then it seems extremely wrong if not illegal to ohhhh sayyyy, make money off of the performances on a subscription based website.

I am not even sure I like how WGI does it, but at least they are non-profit and do a whole ton for the community.

Hmmmmm, what if you are part of a circuit whose board members have made a backroom deal with said company who produces this media?

Let's see. . .You get no credit for your intellectual property, someone else profits off of your creativity, If you try to opt out, you are threatened by the circuit board members who have made the deal. . .Yay. . that sounds just peach-y. :smile: It would definitely not put me in a sunshine-y kind of state. :smile:

Edited by PrfctTimeOfDay

Hmmmmm, what if you are part of a circuit whose board members have made a backroom deal with said company who produces this media?

Let's see. . .You get no credit for your intellectual property, someone else profits off of your creativity, If you try to opt out, you are threatened by the circuit board members who have made the deal. . .Yay. . that sounds just peach-y. :smile: It would definitely not put me in a sunshine-y kind of state. :smile:

Hahaha...I love your "peachy" and "sunshine". IMHO, I don't think these circuit board members should have made these deals...especially without giving the directors the right of refusal. In the "real world", this would never fly...copyright infringement and just poor decision making on the part of board members.

Hahaha...I love your "peachy" and "sunshine". IMHO, I don't think these circuit board members should have made these deals...especially without giving the directors the right of refusal. In the "real world", this would never fly...copyright infringement and just poor decision making on the part of board members.

I think you hit on some key points. Points that would probably make any contract lawyer giddy about taking a pro bono case from say. . .oh I don't know. . disenfranchised guard directors and designers? :smile:

Edited by PrfctTimeOfDay

Okay....let's try this again....

**First, everything I say on here has been said directly to the executive board of our circuit.**

Our circuit signed a contract for this service within the last couple of weeks. Directors were not given input, and were not given any right of refusal for their shows being posted. I personally voiced my displeasure, especially considering that our 2010 Policy Manual says, "There will be no videotaping for sale to the general public at any SAPA regular season competition." At that point, I was told that it is the same as WGI and their Fan Network.

• WGI gets permission when you register for regionals for groups to be recorded for later use on their website......our circuit did not.
  • WGI makes it well known that all regionals will be recorded and groups plan their production and performance schedules accordingly.......our circuit announced this one week prior to the first recording.

. One of the more disturbing parts of the whole thing was that the "release" we had to sign consisted of one paragraph, embedded in the middle of the Damage Waiver for the local show last weekend. If you don't sign the damage waiver, you don't get to compete. No director is going to stand at the check in table and say, "Sorry kids, we can't compete today because they put something I don't agree with in the middle of a standard form."

Let me be very upfront and say that I'm sure the quality of the recordings is of a very professional quality and my gripes are not at all with the company providing the service itself. I have not seen our video, as directors were not given access to see our shows as we were originally told by our circuit we would be able to do.

The concern over intellectual property rights is a very valid one. While copyright paperwork was turned in for the music, that does not extend to the creative work that is displayed with each show. Though lawyer friends tell me it would be very do-able, I seriously doubt anyone would really sue for distributing our shows without permission. That said, it has given many of us a distinct feeling of distrust toward those who should be working on behalf of our member units.

If nothing else, it should make for a very interesting meeting in June.... :doh:

Edited by justgin

i would be more than happy to pay for a cinema verite view at what transpires during a critique! :worthy:

all the screaming,attacks and denouncing.....now that's entertainment! :worthy:

I don't really care about all the controversy, but I'll tell you it was great to watch guards from all over the place, the video played great, much faster than some other similar sites for corps. (which I still can't live without). I even watched a few drumlines. Drums in Florida is really great, they are really world class, amazing. can't wait I see on that network site that boston and fort lauderdale groups are even going to be on there. they should have a coming on next section. Not a fan of the ratings. that's bound to upset people.