Phantom Regiment 2008

Hi, Sorry if what I can't find is pretty obvious, but what happened during the second half of Phantoms show in 2008? The one drum major in the blue stabs the girl, the girls "lover" freaked out and looked like his army tried to attack "spartacus" (the corps) and then the one guy ends up dieing with a sword through him. Then they randomly do some kind of ceremony, the blue drum major stabs the main drum major and starts conducting. I don't get it?

Thanks!

Btw...amazing show :thumbup: :thumbup:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, Sorry if what I can't find is pretty obvious, but what happened during the second half of Phantoms show in 2008? The one drum major in the blue stabs the girl, the girls "lover" freaked out and looked like his army tried to attack "spartacus" (the corps) and then the one guy ends up dieing with a sword through him. Then they randomly do some kind of ceremony, the blue drum major stabs the main drum major and starts conducting. I don't get it?

Thanks!

Btw...amazing show :thumbup: :thumbup:

The Roman consul Crassus returns to Rome from his latest conquests in a triumphal procession. Among his captives are the Thracian king Spartacus and his wife Phrygia. Spartacus laments his captivity and bids a bitter farewell to Phrygia, who is taken off to join Crassus’ harem of concubines. To entertain Crassus and his entourage, Spartacus is sent into the gladiatorial ring and is forced to kill a close friend. Horrified at his deed, Spartacus incites his fellow captives to rebellion.

The escaped captives celebrate their freedom. Meanwhile, Crassus entertains the Roman patricians with a lavish entertainment, including fights between blindfolded gladiators. The seductive Aegina incites a sexual orgy. Spartacus and his men disrupt the orgy and rescue the slave women, including Phrygia. The insulted Aegina insists that Crassus pursue the slave army immediately. The lovers celebrate their escape to the familiar “Adagio of Spartacus and Phrygia.”

Aegina discovers Spartacus’s camp and observes the lovers emerging from their tent the next morning. Aegina sends word to Crassus, who sends his army in pursuit. Internecine struggles break out among Spartacus’s forces. Finally, Crassus’s forces discover Spartacus and impale him upon their spears. Spartacus’s closest followers recover his body and carry it off while Phrygia mourns her loss.

The Roman consul Crassus returns to Rome from his latest conquests in a triumphal procession. Among his captives are the Thracian king Spartacus and his wife Phrygia. Spartacus laments his captivity and bids a bitter farewell to Phrygia, who is taken off to join Crassus’ harem of concubines. To entertain Crassus and his entourage, Spartacus is sent into the gladiatorial ring and is forced to kill a close friend. Horrified at his deed, Spartacus incites his fellow captives to rebellion.

The escaped captives celebrate their freedom. Meanwhile, Crassus entertains the Roman patricians with a lavish entertainment, including fights between blindfolded gladiators. The seductive Aegina incites a sexual orgy. Spartacus and his men disrupt the orgy and rescue the slave women, including Phrygia. The insulted Aegina insists that Crassus pursue the slave army immediately. The lovers celebrate their escape to the familiar “Adagio of Spartacus and Phrygia.”

Aegina discovers Spartacus’s camp and observes the lovers emerging from their tent the next morning. Aegina sends word to Crassus, who sends his army in pursuit. Internecine struggles break out among Spartacus’s forces. Finally, Crassus’s forces discover Spartacus and impale him upon their spears. Spartacus’s closest followers recover his body and carry it off while Phrygia mourns her loss.

Yeah...none of that really happens in the show...Because The female character Phrygia dies in the show...Phantom Regiment took a story and manipulated it in a way that captivated audiences. Viewers should not believe everything in the show as word for word truth.

the guy who dies IS spartacus.

In the beginning spartacus is put to a gladiator battle w/ another gladiator, spartacus wins, gets the red belt thing.

not sure what's going on in the 2nd mvt but to me it looks like he gets to have his fun with all sorts of women because he won the battle, but chooses phrygia in the beginning of the ballad to be the special one. they are in love, but the romans kill phrygia and make spartacus mad so he leads his army of slaves to battle the romans. they fight, spartacus ends up getting killed but one of the roman leaders (who in the beginning is the one who won't shake the main conductors hand) sets his helmit down for him as a sign of respect as do other members of the roman legion/army whatever. then they end up shouting I am spartacus, and the good drum major kills the main one, taking over and they all live happily ever after.

...except Spartacus, phrygia, and gladiator 1 ... because they are dead.

I should re-state saying that *Viewers should not believe everything in ANY show from ANY corps as word for word truth.* Like historical incidents, etc.

Wait...so the sword WASNT real?

Edited by ItsOnTheField

the guy who dies IS spartacus.

In the beginning spartacus is put to a gladiator battle w/ another gladiator, spartacus wins, gets the red belt thing.

not sure what's going on in the 2nd mvt but to me it looks like he gets to have his fun with all sorts of women because he won the battle, but chooses phrygia in the beginning of the ballad to be the special one. they are in love, but the romans kill phrygia and make spartacus mad so he leads his army of slaves to battle the romans. they fight, spartacus ends up getting killed but one of the roman leaders (who in the beginning is the one who won't shake the main conductors hand) sets his helmit down for him as a sign of respect as do other members of the roman legion/army whatever. then they end up shouting I am spartacus, and the good drum major kills the main one, taking over and they all live happily ever after.

...except Spartacus, phrygia, and gladiator 1 ... because they are dead.

What he said.

Also, yes, the second mvt is the celebration/orgy. For a good part of the season, some members of the hornline were getting caressed by the guard '93 style during the hold/big chord that separates the two sections of the second mvt. That got taken out about a week before Allentown, if I remember correctly.

Reminds me of this very funny story......

Spartacus is a figure so embedded into our culture that, even now, he can command a group of disparate people to rise up in rebellion. Kirk Douglas had a son, the little-remembered Eric Douglas, who was an actor and stand-up comedian. He once came over to the UK to do some gigs and inadvertently created one of British comedy’s finest legends. Eric wasn’t having a great gig at a London club; he was going down the pan. His opening line, I seem to remember, focused on the fact that he lacked the cleft in his chin possessed by both his father and brother. The audience was not in the least interested. Their indifference eventually overwhelmed him and he finally shouted: “Do you know who I am? I’m Kirk Douglas’s son!” The room looked on in silence, then someone in the audience stood up and said: “No, I’m Kirk Douglas’s son.” He was swiftly followed by several more. Within seconds, the entire audience was on their feet, all claiming to be Kirk Douglas’s son, in a pitch-perfect parody of the scene in Spartacus. That, by anyone’s standards, is a tough gig.

:thumbup:

What do you need to know? Clearly the good guys win. The hornline removes their helmets and are running and are blowing their brains out in the front of the field, and it's awesome! Yay drum corps! Yay Phantom Regiment!