If You Had to Choose...

Which Would You Rather  

178 members have voted

1. 1. I would rather...

• Let Drum Corps die than let woodwinds in
    • Have Drum Corps continue, losing some traditions and adding woodwinds, but still exist.

If you note, I said I agree that it is probably true. YOU have no way of making your assertion from anything other than an opinion...George would indeed be in the know. As to 'why'....he obviously disagrees with you about that, as he said he will continue to push for more changes (i.e. WW).

Funny that you use him as evidence when he agrees with you, yet dismiss the things he wants that do not agree with what you want.

so to parpaphrase, he can't see the forst thru the trees.he thinks the new stuff will automatically draw in new fans, yet he totally ignores the more recent changes have driven folks away.

he wants to have his cake and eat it too....well, if that's the case, he'll be able to have more of the cake if more people keep walking away

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so to parpaphrase, he can't see the forst thru the trees.he thinks the new stuff will automatically draw in new fans, yet he totally ignores the more recent changes have driven folks away.

he wants to have his cake and eat it too....well, if that's the case, he'll be able to have more of the cake if more people keep walking away

Um, no, the recent changes have not 'driven folks away'.

Um, no, the recent changes have not 'driven folks away'.

And you're the first one to jump on people for making assumptions without cold hard facts.....

I guess it depends on what you think is the most central characteristic of the activity.

If drum corps to you is the art form and the specific rules of the art form - instrumentation, scoring, all that stuff - then you'd let it die. Or many would say it died a long time ago.

If drum corps to you is the experience and what the member gets out of it - performance, camaraderie, excellence, all that stuff - then you'd not really care because the value of the activity is just as significant now as it's been.

I saw in the new DCW that Hop again used "we're losing fans" as his rationale about adding woodwinds. Doesn't he ever stop to think many of the recent changes drove them away, and adding woodwinds will drive even more away?

Not only do I not think he stops to think about it, I also don't think he hears it even when people say it to his face.

I appreciate his intent. His tactic, IMO, is absolutely wrong. Period.

Why should he think of something like that, as it is just not true?

This contention is so full of holes! How do you know, Mike, that it's not true? How do you know he doesn't think about it, and just dismisses it?

With just the number of people here who have said they'll not go back if WW are added it seems more plausible that adding WW WILL drive fans away, even if limited just to those who have said so here.

I guess it depends on what you think is the most central characteristic of the activity.

If drum corps to you is the art form and the specific rules of the art form - instrumentation, scoring, all that stuff - then you'd let it die. Or many would say it died a long time ago.

If drum corps to you is the experience and what the member gets out of it - performance, camaraderie, excellence, all that stuff - then you'd not really care because the value of the activity is just as significant now as it's been.

IMO, the experience is of more importance to those performing now, and less to those in the stands.