Serenade in Brass - Mini Corps Show - CANCELED

Donny.....we needed Nick 'cause chicks dig him, not for his vibrato

Joe

PS sometimes I play really high, other times I'm sober

I appreciate Fran's outlook on the whole thing.

Good job Rod! I know because I stood by his side on this as he stuggled to make it work. That is why so many people didnt like Dan's "MCA's actions" quote, for the record. It wasnt cancelled because of "MCA's actions". There was action until last Friday and I was still calling people to put together a one day only trumpet section featuring Coulson, Strutta, Ponzo, Me, Curt Hawkins, Mark Kelly, Scott Stansfield and Cossetti...oh yeah Jeff Gibbens too.

I even asked Nick (my friend)...

DA

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not to ingone you post Donny, but you know that I would do anything to help you but GR doesn't have a uni in my size.......that would be a 40 short/portly and I'd need a step stool to play next to Timmy

It is only ONE sentence that has caused any foul.

I do not disagree with Jeff that maybe the plug could have pulled earlier than it was, but many people kept trying as hard as we could to not have a cancellation. I was almost ready to call Cossetti to play with the Ghost Riders. :worthy:

Donny

Well said, Strutta. There was great effort put forward to make this show happen and thank you Rod for hanging in there!

Windsor Regiment could not commit to this show because the bulk of our membership will be at Bushwackers Camp that weekend. We did however make a few calls to other corps in hopes of finding replacements who could or would do the show. Unfortunately, there was not enough interest to make that happen. It is unreasonable to point fingers at Five Star or place blame on MCA for this even being cancelled.

Well said Rod! There's a reason you are at the top of MCA and rightly so. I, too, can attest to Rod's efforts to pull this gig off. For reasons already enumerated it was not to be despite his best efforts. I do not know anyone at Five Star beyond Larry. Larry has been a good friend to MCA and to Mass Brass in particular. I can certainly understand that organization's frustration. The member corps of MCA are every bit as frustrated if not more so as this was perhaps the only exclusive MCA show the member corps could have participated in this year.

This sucks from all sides.

Mass Brass inability to do the show was primarily due to a lack of available personnel combined with the financial burden involved. That was not a problem in the past. However, the lack of a show in 2009 led some members to commit to other things in 2010 before this year's opportunity was resurrected.

In any event, thank you to all that tried to pull this gig off. Your efforts were not unappreciated.

Strutta

Mass Brass

MCA

MCA AT SERENADE IN BRASS - ACCURATE INFORMATION

With regards to all comments posted. The arrangement between MCA and Five Star Brass was reached before the 2007 show. That agreement calls for a performance fee (commensurate with all other performance fees) to be paid to MCA as compensation for the evening performance. Serenade in Brass has never asked any corps to play "for free" and never will.

In addition to the performance fee Five Star secured (at no cost to MCA) the afternoon venue and donated overnight rooms for the judges. MCA paid for three judges, ticket printing and extra (professional) lighting for the afternoon show. All revenue (ticket sales) for the afternoon show along with the performance fee for the evening show was given to MCA. The distribution of those funds was in the hands of MCA.

The above agreement was in place for 2007 and 2008 and seemed to satisfy all parties. No mini corps show was held in 2009 due to the unavailability of a suitable venue. The same agreement was in place for this year.

On January 20th of this year correspondence from MCA indicated everything was in order for the show with the potential for six competing corps and two exhibitions. Information recently posted by Rod Keppel accurately reflects the sequence of events following the January 20th communication that resulted in the February 25th decision to cancel the show.

Currently Five Star in the process of returning money to more than 130 people who have already purchased tickets for the mini corps show.

The purpose of the original posting on this site as well as the Five Star website was intended to inform the public of the show cancellation. There was no intention to offend.

As a final comment, for many years now Serenade in Brass has been a "labor of love" for the people of Five Star Brass. Any and all profits belong to the sponsor South Western High School Band Parents.

Thanks

Larry, Bill, Rose and Dan

With regards to all comments posted. The arrangement between MCA and Five Star Brass was reached before the 2007 show. That agreement calls for a performance fee (commensurate with all other performance fees) to be paid to MCA as compensation for the evening performance. Serenade in Brass has never asked any corps to play "for free" and never will.

In addition to the performance fee Five Star secured (at no cost to MCA) the afternoon venue and donated overnight rooms for the judges. MCA paid for three judges, ticket printing and extra (professional) lighting for the afternoon show. All revenue (ticket sales) for the afternoon show along with the performance fee for the evening show was given to MCA. The distribution of those funds was in the hands of MCA.

The above agreement was in place for 2007 and 2008 and seemed to satisfy all parties. No mini corps show was held in 2009 due to the unavailability of a suitable venue. The same agreement was in place for this year.

On January 20th of this year correspondence from MCA indicated everything was in order for the show with the potential for six competing corps and two exhibitions. Information recently posted by Rod Keppel accurately reflects the sequence of events following the January 20th communication that resulted in the February 25th decision to cancel the show.

Currently Five Star in the process of returning money to more than 130 people who have already purchased tickets for the mini corps show.

The purpose of the original posting on this site as well as the Five Star website was intended to inform the public of the show cancellation. There was no intention to offend.

As a final comment, for many years now Serenade in Brass has been a "labor of love" for the people of Five Star Brass. Any and all profits belong to the sponsor South Western High School Band Parents.

Thanks

To Larry et al,

Many thanks for the clarifications. It seems that we as a group sometimes mask disappointment with anger and snide comments. Thanks for taking the time to clear it up.

Thanks

To Larry et al,

Many thanks for the clarifications. It seems that we as a group sometimes mask disappointment with anger and snide comments. Thanks for taking the time to clear it up.

DA,

I thought you said I could play solo vibrato!

Did somebody say "Vibrato?" :worthy:

. . . There was action until last Friday and I was still calling people to put together a one day only trumpet section featuring Coulson, Strutta, Ponzo, Me, Curt Hawkins, Mark Kelly, Scott Stansfield and Cossetti...oh yeah Jeff Gibbens too.

I even asked Nick (my friend)...

DA

DA,

I would pay twice the admission just to see you guys play! Don't give up on that idea Donny! Maybe during DCA weekend? :worthy:

Thanks

It hurts me to think that, for whatever reasons, the drumcorps side of the equation has let these 130 people down. I have attended the MCA show in the past. We, the fans, want it! :worthy: Please don't give up trying :worthy:

Kinda off subject but has anyone received tickets yet????

Might be one of the 130 but haven't checked my bank statement to see if the check was cashed....