How About Tweaking the Activity Name?

We know what "drum corps" or "drum and bugle corps" means when we hear it. But even if someone performs in the pit, we still say they are "marching" in a corps, just as we say guard members are still "guard" members even though they're not guarding anything.

Drum and Bugle Corps has it's roots tied to military " stuff ".... ie,, the flag, patriotism, Americana, bugles, color guard,inspections, salutes, parade rest, retreat, color presentation, marching, uniformity and precision,..... all That jazz.

Modern DCI units has it's roots tied to bands " stuff "...... ie, dancing, guitars, synthezizers, amplifyers, voice, narration, staging, props, singers, tubas, trumpets, individual expression, dancer solos,...... all THAT jazz.

Evenually the name will catch up, and then this silly topic won't get people bent out of shape any more as to what these units have become, and we can move on to more substantive discussions on what we like or don't like regarding the musical and dance extravaganza spectacle before us.

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never marched, but I think you are right when you say that the name doesnt match the organization now. but DCA does match I believe... However in my view the actual bugle is without valves, but its closse enough to count I guess.

It really doesn't matter WHAT you change the name to. Most people outside of this activity will still refer to Drum Corps/Drum and Bugle Corps/Drum and Brass Corps as MARCHING BAND.

It really doesn't matter WHAT you change the name to. Most people outside of this activity will still refer to Drum Corps/Drum and Bugle Corps/Drum and Brass Corps as MARCHING BAND.

But If DCI simply changed the name to" Marching Band " or something close to this, that eliminates the problem altogether, no ?

Edited by BRASSO

Since the hornlines no longer play bugles, wouldn't it make more sense to call it Drum and Brass Corps now? I think this is a more accurate description of what the activity has become. (Unless you prefer to use "bugle" in a nonliteral sense.)

And the horn lines are no longer made up of sopranos and contras. They're called trumpets and tubas. As much as it hurts to say it -- that's what they are.

In this sense -- in my opinion -- the activity changed in 2000.

Of course, this doesn't apply to the DCA groups that actually use bugles. Those are Drum and Bugle Corps.

Anyone else see it the same way? (Puts on flame suit...)

You DO know that DCA permits the same multi-key horns as DCI, I assume.

Agreed. If it ever happens, it won't happen due to anything any of us do. It will happen on its own.

The cows are out of the barn now , so it's too late...... but maybe it might have been a good idea for DCI to have adopted 2 divisions. One division for " The Classic " approach and the other division for " The New Wave " approach.

Let the " New Wave " division of competing Corps bring in marchers, staff, instrumentation, music, etc that was as progressive as they wanted. Let the " Classic " division remain a bit more traditional in terms of music, marching, instumentation,etc.

I recognize the obstacles in such a 2 division style approach. Financially it might be undoable. Judging captions might be very problematic, as it would require overhaul to make it work within the 2 divisions in a satisfying manner. At the end of the day, it probably would be literally impossible to effectively implement.

But conceptually anyway, I like the idea.

Edited by BRASSO

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, it must stay Drum and Bugle Corps. Or Drum corps for short.

It's just not the same calling it anything different. Sorry!

I march with the Empire Statesmen Drum and Bugle corps.