Who would you like to see in the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame?

I know that the voting on this year's nominees will occur soon so I thought it appropriate to start a place where we can have some fan and participant input.

I will start things off with a name, Solon "Hardy" Carrasas.

Consider these facts. This soon to be 83 year old was active in the activity as a participant (bugler and DM), instructor (drill writer and instructor), and drill judge and caption head for over thirty years (approximately 1950-1981). His resume:

Geneva Appleknockers Lead soprano 1950-1964

Senior corps instructional history:

Geneva Appleknockers 1950-1964

Hamburg Kingsmen 4 years

Utica Ambassadors 1 year

Rochester Crusaders 1 year

Junior corps instructional history

Geneva Appleknockers 10 years (1971 U.S. Open Finalist)

Watkins Glen Squires 7 years (including their years as perennial DCI associate and a 1975 13th place finish)

St. Joseph's of Batavia 4 years (including their rise to perennial national finalist status)

Auburn Purple Lancers 4 years

Barons of Steuben 3 years

Owego Mello Dears 2 years (one of the top all girl corps in the country)

Judging history

NYS All American

NYS Federation of Contest Judges (caption head)

DCA

American Legion contest judge

Other Activities

U.S. Army Field and Jazz Band trumpet section leader

High School Bands Instruction (drill):

Geneva, Auburn, Ithaca, East Syracuse Minoa, Newark, and South Hampton Long Island, NY

Drill Teams: Geneva Appleknockers, Shortsville Shamrocks, Barons of Steuben, Watkins Glen Squires, Midlakes HS, Gorham HS, Dundee HS, Bloomfield HS.

Let me catch my breath!

But beyond all that I can attest, as one who had Hardy as an instructor, as to the man's remarkable love for the activity and capacity to inspire and get a unit to march well. He gave hundreds of us the gift of his vision and the confidence in our ability to achieve in competitive drum corps.

Edited by Geneva

I would like to elect Michael Klesch.

My little knowledge of his History:

Drum Major of the Cadets in 1983 (amazing year for them and the activity)

After aging out he joined the Cadets Brass Staff in 1984 then arranged for them from 1985 - 1992.

He has also arranged for Carolina Crown, Crossmen, Colts, Phantom, and Sunrisers.

He is the current arranger for Carolina Crown and has played a very large roll in their climb into, in my opinion, a permanent place in DCI Top 6.

**If anyone has anything to add about this amazing man, please do!

Edited by DcFr3aK

Me...but that'll never happen. Good luck to whoever gets in. Quite an impressive list thus far.

Jim Allen....

BTW Keith...the "World" DCHOF is on the DCA side of the "world".

DCI has their own HOF.

Edited by donnymusic

Jim Allen....

DCI has their own HOF.

There are any number of "crossover" folks (with junior corps/DCI credentials) in the World Hall.....Gail Royer, Jim Jones, various instructors, etc. , so it's not exclusively a DCA thing, by any means. But the majority of the inductees there are from the senior/all-age side of the activity.

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

Very interesting post. I would appreciate anyone who would like to submit a worthy candidate, please go to the WDCHOF website, download the submission application and get it back with all appropriate detail ASAP. If there is/are a member(s) of the HOF that could/would endorse the individual, have them listed.

Aside from poster Keith Hall, the credentials submitted for both Hardy Carrasas and Mike Klesch could get them into the process for consideration. Why wait. Do it now.

Hey I taught Hoechster Schlossgarde in Germany for 2 years. Now that is World!

Jim Allen....

DCI has their own HOF.

Very interesting post. I would appreciate anyone who would like to submit a worthy candidate, please go to the WDCHOF website, download the submission application and get it back with all appropriate detail ASAP. If there is/are a member(s) of the HOF that could/would endorse the individual, have them listed.

Aside from poster Keith Hall, the credentials submitted for both Hardy Carrasas and Mike Klesch could get them into the process for consideration. Why wait. Do it now.

Jim, correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that Hardy is a current nominee. If I am wrong let me know ASAP and I will remedy this.

I'll have to dig out some of the old records Geoff. Cannot place his name right now, but you may be correct. If so, it could be that his app was sent in before we organized and updated the process. I'll get back 2 you.......

Jim, correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that Hardy is a current nominee. If I am wrong let me know ASAP and I will remedy this.

Solon (Hardy) Carassas was a nominee last year already, sponsored by Jack Bullock. Nominees who are not elected remain in the running, so the "Kizizzer" could be elected this season. The WDCHOF would welcome his rosy countenance.