Who would you like to see in the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame?

I believe the 'Clouseau' spelling of 'bump' is 'beump'...

(at least, that's how it's spelled on my Pink Panther DVDs subtitles...)

OK Beump, Bimp, Bump, whatever! :shutup:

I, along with many others, believe that Maurice "Moe" Knox should be inducted into the WDCHOF. I do not know what the specific prerequisites are for induction, but Moe devoted many years of his life to preserving the memory of our activity, through his photos. I would guess he was the most prolific of any drum corps photographer, and beloved by his many fans and customers.

Re: Dr. Keith Markey... I had occaision to work with Keith in the late '70s. He and I attempted to start "the Voice of the Rockies" Drum Corps in Boulder, CO. Keith had apparently been given a verbal promise that the city of Boulder would sponsor the corps. Sadly, that did not come to pass.

In any case, I considered Keith to be a musical prodigy of genius proportion. I used to marvel at his ability to play any song, any piece of music, in any style....with no music score in front of him. It was like I would ask him to play Shostakovic's 5th Symphony on the piano, and he'd just play it. Then I'd say something like, "Now, play that same piece as a Polka!" And somehow, he'd do it!

I know Keith arranged brass charts for many corps, junior and senior, throughout his career. While it's true that Keith worked under the tutelage of Truman Crawford at the Air Force Academy, I suspect that was a mere military formality. I would put up Dr. Markey as equal in talent to any of the best who ever wrote, arranged and taught in this activity. R.I.P. Keith :tongue:

• Like 1

I, along with many others, believe that Maurice "Moe" Knox should be inducted into the WDCHOF. I do not know what the specific prerequisites are for induction, but Moe devoted many years of his life to preserving the memory of our activity, through his photos. I would guess he was the most prolific of any drum corps photographer, and beloved by his many fans and customers.

Re: Dr. Keith Markey... I had occaision to work with Keith in the late '70s. He and I attempted to start "the Voice of the Rockies" Drum Corps in Boulder, CO. Keith had apparently been given a verbal promise that the city of Boulder would sponsor the corps. Sadly, that did not come to pass.

In any case, I considered Keith to be a musical prodigy of genius proportion. I used to marvel at his ability to play any song, any piece of music, in any style....with no music score in front of him. It was like I would ask him to play Shostakovic's 5th Symphony on the piano, and he'd just play it. Then I'd say something like, "Now, play that same piece as a Polka!" And somehow, he'd do it!

I know Keith arranged brass charts for many corps, junior and senior, throughout his career. While it's true that Keith worked under the tutelage of Truman Crawford at the Air Force Academy, I suspect that was a mere military formality. I would put up Dr. Markey as equal in talent to any of the best who ever wrote, arranged and taught in this activity. R.I.P. Keith :tongue:

Keith was a good guy, and a lot of fun to spend the afternoon chatting with. Bright enough to light up a large town or small city. He has been missed.

• 1 year later...

How about a quick bio Jesse. Interested because I've met some of the USAF Bolling Field (Wash. DC)corps members. And for anyone who doesn't know (I didn't), the Bolling Field corps was disbanded in the 60s and the Academy corps created.

The March edition of DCW will an article on the late great Keith Markey.

cool.gif

Moe Knox belongs in the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame. Long overdue.

I enthusiastically support the nomination and acceptance of Moe Knox as a Full Member of the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame. Moe is a man who has traveled throughout these United States, many times at his own expense, to document for posterity, the history of corps and events. He spent countless hours at field-side tables, showing his photos to spectators and participants, patiently answering all questions no matter how trite. He should be considered for Full Member status.

Mr. Knox's photos and his ambassadorship at shows has "enhanced our visual understanding of the marching world through years of drum corps photojournalism".

The WDCHOF committee passed over Moe in the selection process to the Hall of Fame, allegedly because he "made money off drum corps."

In fact, the WDCHOF has never honored anyone for photojournalism, yet honored the owners of the for-profit journals for which they too photos.

Moe Knox should be inducted.

• Like 3

Moe Knox belongs in the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame. Long overdue.

I enthusiastically support the nomination and acceptance of Moe Knox as a Full Member of the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame. Moe is a man who has traveled throughout these United States, many times at his own expense, to document for posterity, the history of corps and events. He spent countless hours at field-side tables, showing his photos to spectators and participants, patiently answering all questions no matter how trite. He should be considered for Full Member status.

Mr. Knox's photos and his ambassadorship at shows has "enhanced our visual understanding of the marching world through years of drum corps photojournalism".

The WDCHOF committee passed over Moe in the selection process to the Hall of Fame, allegedly because he "made money off drum corps."

In fact, the WDCHOF has never honored anyone for photojournalism, yet honored the owners of the for-profit journals for which they too photos.

Moe Knox should be inducted.

• Like 1

Oops,,,anyway. I agree! Moe Knox isa legend, and should NOT be overlooked on such a very thin, if not in fact, hypocritcal reason.

Edited by BariBrian
  • Like 2