Who would you like to see in the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame?

For my 50th birthday in 2005, I wrote an article for DCI.org where I pontificated on many of the people and things that made drum corps so special to me. If you scroll halfway down to the two photos, you'll see a montage of five photos that are discussed in these two paragraphs just above. "Through Steve, I met my friend David Scott, who a few years ago did the single nicest thing anyone has ever done for me. I had lamented one year that I had no photos of myself when I marched, save for that one-inch tall photo in the 1976 DCI program book when I was selected to represent the Cavaliers in a year where they decided to feature one person from each corps.

Unknown to me, Dave contacted Moe Knox, a well-known drum corps photographer from the east, and Dave bought from Moe a number of photographs of me in uniform from 1976 and 1977. He set them in a frame and presented the montage to me during dinner with Steve Vickers and others before an indoor drum corps concert hall event in Rockford. I was, for one of the few times in my life, speechless. I added my corps patches and those for being a DCI World finalist for three years and the montage is now proudly displayed in my home office for all to see (see photo below)."

I have to walk past this montage whenever I enter or leave my office, and I've often thought of Moe's work. The thing is, of course Moe would have had photos of me from the three years I marched Cavaliers. Moe had photos of everyone! It didn't matter if a corps was a major player or the most minor footnote; Moe had taken photo upon photo of them.

I believe Moe Knox is the keeper of our history, except he shared his chronicles with all through the countless photos published in Drum Corps World, Drum Corps News and many other publications. He caught not just the high camera shots of entire corps, but the individual faces of the marchers. No corps and no marcher was insignificant to him. Moe was drum corps' great equalizer, giving the least recognized members their rightful due and the least recognized corps their deserved honor and prestige for being on the field and giving their all to entertain us.

Why Moe isn't already a member of the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame is beyond my comprehension. This is an oversight (or perhaps not an unintentional oversight, according to many) that needs correction. It is well due for Moe to be recognized for his decades of determination, commitment and toil.

Anyone submitting an official letter is cordially invited to freely quote from the above it it would help remedy this glaring omission.

There can't truly be a World Drum Corps Hall of Fame without the inclusion of Moe Knox.

• Like 1

Why Moe isn't already a member of the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame is beyond my comprehension. This is an oversight (or perhaps not an unintentional oversight, according to many) that needs correction. It is well due for Moe to be recognized for his decades of determination, commitment and toil.

Anyone submitting an official letter is cordially invited to freely quote from the above it it would help remedy this glaring omission.

There can't truly be a World Drum Corps Hall of Fame without the inclusion of Moe Knox.

Mike, first of all... thank you for that great story, and for a wonderful post. Absolutely on the money.

Moe sat next to me at last season's DCA show in Scranton (in between him snapping photos, of course)... and as usual, he was a human encyclopedia of knowledge about the corps there. He pointed out several instances of generations of family members having marched in a particular corps... from grandparents and parents, down to children and grandchildren. What an amazing memory he has. I had a great time just listening to him.

I have absolutely no earthly clue as to why he is not in the WDCHOF yet.

As an earlier poster said... if the story about Moe being excluded because Moe "made money from drum corps" is true, then that criteria would/should DQ many, many members of the WDCHOF.

Plus... with Moe, it's never been about the money. It's always been about his love for the activity.

Mike, first of all... thank you for that great story, and for a wonderful post. Absolutely on the money.

Moe sat next to me at last season's DCA show in Scranton (in between him snapping photos, of course)... and as usual, he was a human encyclopedia of knowledge about the corps there. He pointed out several instances of generations of family members having marched in a particular corps... from grandparents and parents, down to children and grandchildren. What an amazing memory he has. I had a great time just listening to him.

I have absolutely no earthly clue as to why he is not in the WDCHOF yet.

As an earlier poster said... if the story about Moe being excluded because Moe "made money from drum corps" is true, then that criteria would/should DQ many, many members of the WDCHOF.

Plus... with Moe, it's never been about the money. It's always been about his love for the activity.

Yes, because everyone knows selling photos to drum corps publications was far more lucrative than selling the first photos of celebrity couples' babies to The National Enquirer.

Yes, because everyone knows selling photos to drum corps publications was far more lucrative than selling the first photos of celebrity couples' babies to The National Enquirer.

Yeah... we should all jump on board that drum corps gravy train. Then we could retire at age 150. :tongue:

• 5 years later...

Just to point out:

Nothing is stopping anybody from resubmitting Moe (or anyone else) for consideration.

What I find curious is the strange notion that the Hall of Fame has no credibility because any particular individual has not been inducted yet. Why would anybody who felt that way then lobby for someone's inclusion?

For the record, I would support Mr. Knox, and have in the past. I do not, however, support conspiracy theories when applied to the current administration of the HOF.

On 4/12/2017 at 8:01 PM, ironlips said:

Move along... nothing to see here... move along...

:lle:

Edited by Fran Haring

On 4/16/2017 at 2:04 AM, ironlips said:

Edited by Fran Haring

• 4 months later...

Uh....wouldn't Moe's inclusion into the HOF come under the "visual" category?  I mean come on, you have to use your eyes to see his work!

Also, someone included Mathew Brady's name in a posting re: Moe Knox.  I believe Mathew and Moe were buddies BITD.:lle: