WGI FT. LAUDERDALE REGIONAL

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Editor’s note: I wish I didn’t have to do this, but I know what will happen if I don’t: some of you people will get your panties so impossibly bunched-up that assistance from a medical professional might be needed to successfully “unbunch” them.

So, here goes:

The following review represents MY personal opinions and observations ONLY. I am neither currently nor have I ever been affiliated directly in any capacity whatsoever with any guard - active or defunct - competing in any class of any circuit.

I’m relating MY ideas and views ONLY. Nothing more, nothing less. Ok…??? Can we please remember this and not work ourselves into lather over anything that might be mentioned in this or any other review posted in this forum…???

Thank you.

- The management

SCHOLASTIC WORLD

Flanagan High School – Atlas Shrugged

Other than some body work that illustrates the physical burden of “carrying the weight of the world on your shoulders,” the show doesn’t follow the storyline of the Ayn Rand novel that shares the same name.

But that’s OK, because creating a thematic thread from the social/political philosophies that Ayn Rand explores in “Atlas Shrugged” could be kinda tough to pull-off in a 10 minute color guard program.

:smile:

In their version of “Atlas Shrugged,” Flanagan looks to the story of Atlas, the Titan who supports the heavens. With that powerful image as their inspiration, the Flanagan design team has created a program that showcases the many strengths of this superior ensemble.

The Atlas theme can be seen in the guard’s gold uniforms and funky metallic gold face paint. The floor design – which is DRAMATICALLY simplified from previous seasons – features an image of Atlas doing his best to balance the world across his back.

This equipment book is jam-packed everything that you’d expect to see from a Flanagan world guard that’s determined to stay at the very top of their class in WGI Finals.

Lots of technically demanding, intricate weapon work - complimented by some AMAZING tricks from their soloists - highlights the superior abilities of this always-impressive group.

The drill is fast paced, frenetic and perfectly designed to generate excitement all the way to final beats of program.

And in true Flanagan fashion, the ending moments of the show build to a powerful flag feature that’s signed-sealed and delivered in absolute World Class caliber through and through. Flag work just doesn’t get much better than that. Honestly, what ever they do at Flanagan to clean these powerhouse flag passages – they need to market that technique to the rest of the color guard community at large.

Again this year, Flanagan is letting it be known that they’re in it to win it.

Freedom High School – In the moment

This program doesn’t have a “hit you over the head” theme – and that’s perfectly fine with me. The idea of “growth” or “change” kinda seemed to be a thread that was connecting the moments of the show.

I’m trying to remember now, I think the major design element of the floor is a slightly stylized, s-curve floral stem or a vine, maybe, with some type of with little tendrils shooting off of it. The uniforms were shades of green and at least one set of flags was green, too. This is why I’m thinking that the “In the moment” idea might somehow relate to things growing and changing – like the plants and flowers in a garden. Therefore, “Live your life ‘in the moment,’ because like the things we see around us in nature, life itself will continue to change around us, too.”

At least that’s what I came away with when I thought about it later on. Maybe I’m wrong.

At any rate, the show was a sophisticated, delicate journey from beginning to end. The colors and artwork included in the floor and the complimentary uniforms set the stage for a very melodic and musical program that evolved softly and skillfully.

This SW finalist from ’09 turned in a very respectable performance for this point in the season. The highlight of the show definitely was the beautiful flag work that demonstrated the excellent training that this group receives. And the closing phrases of the show were particularly lovely.

Also, nice attention has been given to the movement aspects to this program. A good balance of the body and the equipment, I thought. And the performers are doing a nice job at making a connection with the audience.

Some of the weapon work could use a little more fine-tuning and attention before the end of the season. But the staging of the weapon work – and the drill design overall - is handled quite well. And the balance between weapons and silks feels just right.

Overall, I really enjoyed the ease with which this show is allowed to unfurl. The entire arc of the show seemed very natural and organic.

Saturday’s performance was a fine effort that certainly takes this hard-working group one step closer to making another run at an appearance in SW Finals. If they clean and polish this show with the same momentum and determination that they had last year, look for them to be contender for a spot in Finals.

Editor’s note: I wish I didn’t have to do this, but I know what will happen if I don’t: some of you people will get your panties so impossibly bunched-up that assistance from a medical professional might be needed to successfully “unbunch” them.

So, here goes:

The following review represents MY personal opinions and observations ONLY. I am neither currently nor have I ever been affiliated directly in any capacity whatsoever with any guard - active or defunct - competing in any class of any circuit.

I’m relating MY ideas and views ONLY. Nothing more, nothing less. Ok…??? Can we please remember this and not work ourselves into lather over anything that might be mentioned in this or any other review posted in this forum…???

Thank you.

- The management

SCHOLASTIC WORLD

Flanagan High School – Atlas Shrugged

Other than some body work that illustrates the physical burden of “carrying the weight of the world on your shoulders,” the show doesn’t follow the storyline of the Ayn Rand novel that shares the same name.

But that’s OK, because creating a thematic thread from the social/political philosophies that Ayn Rand explores in “Atlas Shrugged” could be kinda tough to pull-off in a 10 minute color guard program.

In their version of “Atlas Shrugged,” Flanagan looks to the story of Atlas, the Titan who supports the heavens. With that powerful image as their inspiration, the Flanagan design team has created a program that showcases the many strengths of this superior ensemble.

The Atlas theme can be seen in the guard’s gold uniforms and funky metallic gold face paint. The floor design – which is DRAMATICALLY simplified from previous seasons – features an image of Atlas doing his best to balance the world across his back.

This equipment book is jam-packed everything that you’d expect to see from a Flanagan world guard that’s determined to stay at the very top of their class in WGI Finals.

Lots of technically demanding, intricate weapon work - complimented by some AMAZING tricks from their soloists - highlights the superior abilities of this always-impressive group.

The drill is fast paced, frenetic and perfectly designed to generate excitement all the way to final beats of program.

And in true Flanagan fashion, the ending moments of the show build to a powerful flag feature that’s signed-sealed and delivered in absolute World Class caliber through and through. Flag work just doesn’t get much better than that. Honestly, what ever they do at Flanagan to clean these powerhouse flag passages – they need to market that technique to the rest of the color guard community at large.

Again this year, Flanagan is letting it be known that they’re in it to win it.

Freedom High School – In the moment

This program doesn’t have a “hit you over the head” theme – and that’s perfectly fine with me. The idea of “growth” or “change” kinda seemed to be a thread that was connecting the moments of the show.

I’m trying to remember now, I think the major design element of the floor is a slightly stylized, s-curve floral stem or a vine, maybe, with some type of with little tendrils shooting off of it. The uniforms were shades of green and at least one set of flags was green, too. This is why I’m thinking that the “In the moment” idea might somehow relate to things growing and changing – like the plants and flowers in a garden. Therefore, “Live your life ‘in the moment,’ because like the things we see around us in nature, life itself will continue to change around us, too.”

At least that’s what I came away with when I thought about it later on. Maybe I’m wrong.

At any rate, the show was a sophisticated, delicate journey from beginning to end. The colors and artwork included in the floor and the complimentary uniforms set the stage for a very melodic and musical program that evolved softly and skillfully.

This SW finalist from ’09 turned in a very respectable performance for this point in the season. The highlight of the show definitely was the beautiful flag work that demonstrated the excellent training that this group receives. And the closing phrases of the show were particularly lovely.

Also, nice attention has been given to the movement aspects to this program. A good balance of the body and the equipment, I thought. And the performers are doing a nice job at making a connection with the audience.

Some of the weapon work could use a little more fine-tuning and attention before the end of the season. But the staging of the weapon work – and the drill design overall - is handled quite well. And the balance between weapons and silks feels just right.

Overall, I really enjoyed the ease with which this show is allowed to unfurl. The entire arc of the show seemed very natural and organic.

Saturday’s performance was a fine effort that certainly takes this hard-working group one step closer to making another run at an appearance in SW Finals. If they clean and polish this show with the same momentum and determination that they had last year, look for them to be contender for a spot in Finals.