Your Odd Housing Stories

One time we stayed over in a convent. The director was a nervous wreck because we weren't exactly a bunch of choir boys, but the nuns were some of the nicest people we ever met. It had hot showers and the sisters even fed us in the morning. I'll never forget that and always be eternally grateful.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1977, on way from DCI Worlds in Denver to VFW Nationals in Minneapolis: We stayed in the gym at Murdo High School in Murdo, South Dakota. ("Home of the Coyotes.") We got in real late after a pleasure stop at Mount Rushmore and were awoken quite early by the clanging of free weights behind the curtain on the stage. The entire football team was up there and they were enjoying making as much noise as possible.

It may have been 2008, but the same exact thing happened to us at a school in Ohio.

This is a modern story too, but the Troopers are currently doing camps at Ft. Morgan High School in Colorado, and the lights are computer-programmed to turn off exactly at 11.

And then they always come back on at 1 AM without fail.

And once we finished rehearsal and had a corps meeting in the dark because we decided to go to midnight :thumbup:

Edited by jedihunter80

Not really odd, but kinda cool...

My first year marching... 1971 with a local-circuit junior corps from NJ.... when we went to the World Open in Massachusetts that year, we stayed at the homes of members from the Pembroke Imperials.... two or three or four members to a home, basically.

When the Imperials came to our home show in Manville, NJ, that summer, we returned the favor and put them up at our homes.

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

My first year marching... 1971 with a local-circuit junior corps from NJ.... when we went to the World Open in Massachusetts that year, we stayed at the homes of members from the Pembroke Imperials.... two or three or four members to a home, basically.

When the Imperials came to our home show in Manville, NJ, that summer, we returned the favor and put them up at our homes.

Fran

We did that with 27th. It was a lot of fun interacting with them in NJ and Mass. We also housed Blue Rock one year.

Fran

Very cool, thanks. In 1971 we stayed at the homes of members from General Butler Vagabonds and in 1973 we stayed at the homes of members from Watkins Glen's Squires. When the Squires visited us, they stayed in our homes. Good times. It's in Jud Spena's book 'Echoes in the Valley'.

I'm not sure about the word odd, however I remember a few different places from our (AAG's) 10 week tour of Europe in 1977 most notably sleeping on the beach in Monte Carlo. It wasn't fine sand; more like small pebbles. The sky and sea were a beautiful blue until night.

...um...a sleep on the bus story from 1977 tour. We rarely travelled overnight but on one overnight trip there were 3 of us taking turns keeping the driver awake in 1-2 hour shifts. I was on the third shift. The other 2 were supposed to sleep but couldn't. As the sun was rising and the driver seemed OK, the 2 whispered to me what they did. The 3 of us sat at the front of the bus looking back and watching. Shirley woke up first. Her pant leg was sewn to Nancy's shirt which was sewn to Carla's sleeve which was sewn to Debbie's pillow which was sewn to Tanya's pant leg...the entire bus was sewn together with cotton thread. Hilarious at the time...ahem...but don't try this at home kids.

I barley remember the time in 1975, and thinking it was in Algonac, MI staying at a VFW hall. the guys had to bed down in the bar area and to our delight, the draft beer taps were still charged. Needless to say, we ended up emptying every keg in the place.

Oh, forgot to mention the dumb showers that only give you a minute or so of water every you press the little button lol and they get hotter every time

EDIT: Double post

Edited by jedihunter80

Fran

The Cavaliers and the Garfield Cadets used to do the same thing when each came into each other's territory. Today, if the members of corps wanted to stay in the homes of the marchers from the other corps, it's more likely they would be staying within driving distance of their own corps halls.