Just another thought here...

I've noticed that several pieces of music get recycled by DCI corps every other year or so. Appalachian Spring comes to mind along with West Side Story and a couple others. I imagine it is because these pieces of music, when performed well, bring about a good reaction from the crowds, be positive learning tools and may simply be fun to work with. There could be other reasons of course, but that might be beside the point.

What I am wondering is whether anyone else has performed Phantom of the Opera? I do not think any other top 12 world class corps has or any WC corps for that matter. It is entertaining and has a lot of positive qualities so why wouldn't anyone else use it? Can anyone clear this up for me? Okay, I could go to corpsreps and look, but that takes away the possibility of discussion on DCP. Any thoughts?

I've noticed that several pieces of music get recycled by DCI corps every other year or so. Appalachian Spring comes to mind along with West Side Story and a couple others. I imagine it is because these pieces of music, when performed well, bring about a good reaction from the crowds, be positive learning tools and may simply be fun to work with. There could be other reasons of course, but that might be beside the point.

What I am wondering is whether anyone else has performed Phantom of the Opera? I do not think any other top 12 world class corps has or any WC corps for that matter. It is entertaining and has a lot of positive qualities so why wouldn't anyone else use it? Can anyone clear this up for me? Okay, I could go to corpsreps and look, but that takes away the possibility of discussion on DCP. Any thoughts?

Not sure about DCI corps, but Empire Statesmen in DCA did Phantom of the Opera a few years back (and quite well).

Colts had "Music of the Night" in their 2008 ballad. Not the whole thing, just about 10-15seconds of it

Because,

1. People will complain that it's something they've heard before, and then those people will argue with the ones who call it "accessible music."

2. People will constantly compare it to a past version.

3. DCP will have nothing else better to complain about so this would be the main subject throughout the entire summer.

I hope that helps. :tongue:

I for one would have no problem with another WC corps doing a fresh take on Phantom. It is great, moving music, and lest we forget, that outstanding SCV show WAS 21 years ago, so no current members would have even been out of diapers that last time it was done, and most wouldn't even have been born yet.

What I am wondering is whether anyone else has performed Phantom of the Opera?

Santa Clara Vanguard not only made it their entire show in 1988 and 1989, they were second the first year and won it all the second.

. . .not only that, there's a sequel to "Phantom" now that someone could perform as well.

I posted a thread about it a few months back, wondering whether or not SCV or someone else could tackle it.

edit: here it is: http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...t&p=2448496

"Phantom" was Lloyd-Webber's masterpiece ... Laying odds the sequel will be DOA.