First experiences with drill?

And try and amuse yourself when things like the following occur -

In 2003, one of the hardest chunks we ever rehearsed was from letter H to letter O in the opener. So when the staff said "lets do H to O" we would all say "yes please"

Something important, I think the big hit in Puck, started on Set 69 last summer. Many oh-so-mature giggles were had.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't miss instructions. Easy way for accidents to happen.

Yeah take it from me. I caused a train wreck in 99 during the rotating box in the opener during rehearsal.

Well my first drill experience was when I was 12 years old, marching with a championship drum corps, The Empire Statesmen, in 2008. The drill writer we had wrote drill for Santa Clara Vanguard. Yeah, it was hard LOL I was only 12 and never marched before in my life. I basically didn't know what drum corps was until the end of the season.

Now I'm 15 and drill is a piece of cake....I love it!!!

Drill cards suck though!

Well my first drill experience was when I was 12 years old, marching with a championship drum corps, The Empire Statesmen, in 2008. The drill writer we had wrote drill for Santa Clara Vanguard. Yeah, it was hard LOL I was only 12 and never marched before in my life. I basically didn't know what drum corps was until the end of the season.

Now I'm 15 and drill is a piece of cake....I love it!!!

Drill cards suck though!

Drill cards? Something like dotbook pages maybe?

Yep, same thing basically. Coordinates. Dot book, w/e you want to call it!

takes forever to make them!

Well, I went halfway. I put my watch on my backpack on the ground next to my keyboard so I could still check it, but not as much as if it were on my wrist. I found myself checking practically every rep if I had it there.

Yeah, my rookie year i had a watch on me. Second year, i attached my watch to my backpack, and time went by much faster. Like at least having that because you still will have times you're sposed to be places and such. And lets face it, on your wrist its pretty worthless in rehearsal anyways, because rehearsal will be done when its done.

As for drill... yeah, id never marched a show more than 30-40 pages.. so a DCI-level show was definitely a bit of a step up, lol. I'm pretty sure i had my own tech for the first couple weeks of 05. Depending on what level you've marched... best thing i learned was just 'go for it', and do whatever the heck you can to get to some of those dots.

Edited by AlexL

Oh good....i cant wait :laughing:

dude, be prepared. the drill you get now is gonna change at lesat 40 sets. it will not be the same. :laughing:

dude, be prepared. the drill you get now is gonna change at lesat 40 sets. it will not be the same. :smile:

You got THAT right! I have to admit it would stick in my craw to learn a DCI show these days knowing the degree to which much of you initially learn will be thrown out the window eventually. I mean, sure, we had changes bitd, but nothing like the re-writes corps go through these days. A whole new ending musically and visually is almost a guarantee (especially with Blue Stars).

Oh good....i cant wait :smile:

It seems to be a Statesmen thing. I noticed anyone who had marched other corps prior had a dot book, and the homegrown Statesmen carried little laminated cards for each song...whatever gets you on your dot.