First experiences with drill?

It seems to be a Statesmen thing. I noticed anyone who had marched other corps prior had a dot book, and the homegrown Statesmen carried little laminated cards for each song...whatever gets you on your dot.

Well yeah...i marched dotbooks at cadets. But considering that I am doing Statesmen this summer, i was curious :smile:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the time I started marching in high school until I moved on to corps, putting together a set book has been part of the process of learning my show. When I was in Frontier and they were doing the coordinate sheets deal, I'd still put one together because 1) it was sturdier and harder to lose than one piece of paper and 2) writing it down is just part of putting it to memory, and gives space to write notes.

+1 to relearning and changing drill as the season goes on... we changed the last, Idunno, 15 sets or so of the closer in '05 the day of the Oxford, AL show and performed it that night. It went... fairly well. :smile: It was the prep work to the "Wicked Deltas" we debuted at Indy.

At cadets, as far as i can remember, they were always pretty good about figured out the changes on a show day, implementing them on an off / rehearsal day, doing the runthrough with then change, and then having it in for the next night, thereby giving us that extra day to screw up when it didnt matter (and boy did we screw up).... Very rarely did we ever make even a minor change on a show day because we knew odds were good that there would be at least one mental tick. Perhaps thats something other groups could learn from...

Wait, your marching Statesmen Nick? I've never met you, maybe because your percussion?

If your in the hornline then I'm an idiot!

Wait, your marching Statesmen Nick? I've never met you, maybe because your percussion?

Never fear - you are saved from the idiot label...and with good reason (I play bari by the way). My sister and I got convinced into doing statesmen by Collette, who I'm sure you know. There was however, the little problem of us both living 6 hours away, and the additional problem of me living in paris for the past 7 months

(see location over there <=)

However, I was home for christmas, and after talking with jimmy and some others, made it up for the january camp. After meeting us, they basically said we had a spot, and could rejoin the corps whenever we could. I'll be back in the US soon, and my sister and I have figured out rides to help get us up there, so I'll be seeing you at the second April camp :smile:

It's ok Kris, "YOU'RE" not an idiot!

Never fear - you are saved from the idiot label...and with good reason (I play bari by the way). My sister and I got convinced into doing statesmen by Collette, who I'm sure you know. There was however, the little problem of us both living 6 hours away, and the additional problem of me living in paris for the past 7 months

(see location over there <=)

However, I was home for christmas, and after talking with jimmy and some others, made it up for the january camp. After meeting us, they basically said we had a spot, and could rejoin the corps whenever we could. I'll be back in the US soon, and my sister and I have figured out rides to help get us up there, so I'll be seeing you at the second April camp :smile:

Oh, Nice! Well I can't wait!

It's ok Kris, "YOU'RE" not an idiot!

Oh god, I'm usually good with differences between YOUR and YOU'RE!!

It varies from corps to corps.

a) have a set book (AND PENCIL / I SAID P-E-N-C-I-L) at all times.

b) settle on a coordinate system. And use the same system throughout.

c) in practice go to your SPOT. in performance go with the FORM. Know BOTH at all times for all sets.

d) have your music memorized BEFORE learning drill (makes it 2000% easier / or at least takes 1/20th the time).

e) don't be the last guy (or girl) anywhere. If that means run, then run (except in uniform). If not, then do what's best for you, and what's best for the corps.

For a coordinate system, I chose to use numbers and fit as many sets on a page as I can. Only writing on one side of the paper. That way there's fewer pages to flip through to find your set. Some people opt for mini or trimmed printed drill charts.

40+4 FH -1

-----

* [##] is the yardline

* [+] is away from the drum major

* [-] is towards the drum major

* [#] is the number of steps. feel free to use fractions or decimal places. But generally march the best compromise between being right and not making your neighbor(s) look wrong.

* [FH] is front hash, [FS] is front sideline, [bH] is back hash, [bS] is back sideline

* When near the 50, I draw an upside down [T]. Then notate a dot relative to the side of the field. The intersection of the T represents where the 50 meets the front sideline, relative to the front field drum major. If there's room notate a form too, arc, line, box.

-----

Knowing your spot is important. There might be times where half the corps isn't there to guide on or let you know where in the drill your are. Not so much in Jr. Corps, but still. At a minimum, you'll know when you're five yards off (or more) and not spend thirty minutes debating who's more right / less wrong. Step sizes feel different on different fields, or how long the grass has gotten. So you can't always judge your show based on muscle memory alone. And if you're the point man (or woman), you only have your spot to go by. Being five yards off can really hose those behind you (the entire corps). But don't be so stubborn that you're the only one right.

Get a set book of the index card type. Don't write anything important on the first couple or last couple of pages. You want it to last and not have to write out a new one every day. Wear it draped by a shoe string, or stick it in a plastic bag in your pocket. It will get wet, plan accordingly. Use a pencil, drill is more of an art than a science, things will change, plan accordingly.

Do what the instructors say, even if it's wrong (unless you're using $1K+ of personal equipment and it'll get damaged). It's a learning experience for them as well as you. Your neighbor may not be as good of a marcher as you. Feel free to fudge your spot to help make them look less wrong. I generally take where my spot is, and where the form is, then half the difference if they don't agree. Depending on the skill level of the group or the difficulty of the move. Or proximity to dangerous and moving guard equipment / members.

While we're on the subject of how to set up your drill chart, I use this method:

*Each card is split in half to hold 2 sets. Each set is arranged like this (for example):

Set 1

4.5 out L40

8 in FSL

Go 16 to Set 2

Set 2

On R45

12 out FH

Go 8 to Set 3

First is the set number, obviously.

Next is the Left/Right coordinate. # means number of steps. Out means away from the 50, in means towards the 50. L## means Left or Right (from the towers POV; Side 1 or Side 2) yard line.

Next is the Back/Front coordinate. # again means number of steps. FSL means Front Side Line, BSL means Back Side Line, FH means Front Hash, BH means Back Hash. In this case, in means towards the center of the field, out means towards the side lines (out is only used when referring to the hashes).

Finally is the instructions for going to the next set. Go (number of counts) to next set.

Confused much? :smile: