SineWave Brass to Participate in 2010 DCA Mini-Corps Championships

We might be SOL on that (unless the alumni spectacular counts)! Just to fill in some of the blanks...

I'm not speaking officially here, and I hope someone in an official capacity can confirm or correct this.... but I think the criteria is all-age or alumni corps, not necessarily a DCA corps.

Not every all-age corps is a DCA corps, and no alumni corps are DCA corps, per se.

Fran

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are killing me. . . :tongue:

I had the privilege of arranging for the Bushwackers for 3 seasons several years back. . . but never got to actually conduct a rehearsal or see them perform. So, this is a new experience, and one I'm soaking up completely!

best,

Chuck

PS: Still looking for that elusive, killer tuba player!

Chuck,

I thought you did some work for Bush, but wasn't sure.

I'm not speaking officially here, and I hope someone in an official capacity can confirm or correct this.... but I think the criteria is all-age or alumni corps, not necessarily a DCA corps.

Not every all-age corps is a DCA corps, and no alumni corps are DCA corps, per se.

Fran

I'm not part of the management, so can't speak for them, but I'm not concerned at all -- pretty sure it's all worked out.

If that really is a rule, it doesn't make a lot of sense, does it? It seems more logical to encourage all varieties of corps at every level -- makes everyone stronger.

I marched in the alumni show in the '06 and '07 Bridgemen. It would be pretty funny if that's what qualifies us to go to DCA!

P.S. I have a one-page guide from DCA that has 13 rules on it (for this year). It states that there are to be a "minimum of 11 participants and maximum of 21," and says a couple of things about drum majors and honor guards. That's it. No mention of previous membership/experience in DCA corps or shows. It does require all mini-corps to sign a "performance agreement." Unless that document has more detailed specifications regarding the membership, it doesn't appear to be an issue.

Edited by funcorpsagain

I'm not part of the management, so can't speak for them, but I'm not concerned at all -- pretty sure it's all worked out.

If that really is a rule, it doesn't make a lot of sense, does it? It seems more logical to encourage all varieties of corps at every level -- makes everyone stronger.

I marched in the alumni show in the '06 and '07 Bridgemen. It would be pretty funny if that's what qualifies us to go to DCA!

P.S. I have a one-page guide from DCA that has 13 rules on it (for this year). It states that there are to be a "minimum of 11 participants and maximum of 21," and says a couple of things about drum majors and honor guards. That's it. No mention of previous membership/experience in DCA corps or shows. It does require all mini-corps to sign a "performance agreement." Unless that document has more detailed specifications regarding the membership, it doesn't appear to be an issue.

Check if part of the "performance agreement" to see if you have to have performance rights to the music being played ... not sure if that rule applies to the mini's but, if so, will cost you some $$$ ...

:-)

It does apply to minis...although NOT Brass Ensemble and individs

I believe it's about the status of the corps. I perform with a mini-corps that does not use the word alumni in its name. There are many members of the group (actually almost all of them) are in other alumni corps. My group is considered an alumni corps because we are a year round organization not one that just gets together to play at DCA. We actually do parades albeit on a flat-bed, but hey it works for us as well as exhibitions at both DCI and DCA shows.

I think that whether it makes sense or not, the rule it the rule and few groups that I know of have had a problem with it. I believe its intent is to keep out groups of professionals that just assemble themselves together and come to DCA with no affiliation to drum corps and beat the pants off everybody.

Our Corps Director - Jim Mikowski - has been working with Dick Pronti from DCA and we have been told we meet the requirements. We have been approaching this very carefully and have sought advise from several other groups and origanizations, includinding SDCA and the great guys from Minnie Brass. We organized as a 501 3c so we can make and accept donations to the corps. We have our music rights requests in to the publisher - and you are right - this is a big expense!

We are trying to get everything right coming out of the gate. It is a big undertaking, but it has been a good journey so far. We are planning for the long run.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in Rochester!

Rich

Edited by rgortowski

Check if part of the "performance agreement" to see if you have to have performance rights to the music being played ... not sure if that rule applies to the mini's but, if so, will cost you some $$$ ...

:-)

Thanks for the advice. We have been in contact with DCA, talked to other mini-corps partipants, and have checked out all the requirements and regulations and I think we're good to go. All that is left is practice and more practice. And a third tuba player!

Rule 1:

All contestants must be a member of a past or present All Age Competitive Corps or active member of an Alumni Corps.

"Sine" can certainly enter. They are a NEW ALUMNI Corps thus the word present.

DCA tries to take all interested into I&E. Applications shall be out probably by May.