Three Camps

08ThunderBass5

Hi,

I am currently doing a research paper for my music history class on the traditional rudimental drum solo "The Three Camps". Most of you are probably familiar with this one and I have known it for a while however now that I am sitting down to do research on it, I am having a very difficult time finding information about it. Basically I am trying to track down it's origin (which no one really seems to know!) and also figure out what the most popular/widely used arrangements of it are so I can research those arrangers and that version's origin.

If you have any information about this solo or names of useful books about either the three camps or just rudimental drumming I would greatly appreciate any help I can get on this! I've kinda hit a wall in a sense. Also, any internet resources would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thank You,

Jeff

Hi,

I am currently doing a research paper for my music history class on the traditional rudimental drum solo "The Three Camps". Most of you are probably familiar with this one and I have known it for a while however now that I am sitting down to do research on it, I am having a very difficult time finding information about it. Basically I am trying to track down it's origin (which no one really seems to know!) and also figure out what the most popular/widely used arrangements of it are so I can research those arrangers and that version's origin.

If you have any information about this solo or names of useful books about either the three camps or just rudimental drumming I would greatly appreciate any help I can get on this! I've kinda hit a wall in a sense. Also, any internet resources would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thank You,

Jeff

Listen to Crossmen's 1978 Russian Christmas Music - the percussion arranger worked "3 Cams" into the end of the piece - it was brilliant.

Another clever version was staged at the 2007 Heartland Tattoo in DeKalb IL.

3 Camps was played antiphonally by 3 massed drum sections with contrasting equipment - a section of pipe band drummers, a section of colonial rope drummers, and a section of mylar-head field drums.

Edited by HornsUp

Hi,

Thank You,

Jeff

Here's a little info I found:

Much of the development of the snare drum and the drum rudiments is closely tied with the use of the snare drum in the military. In his book, The Art of Snare drumming, Sanford A. Moeller of the "Moeller Method" of drumming states that "To acquire a knowledge of the true nature of the snare drum, it is absolutely necessary to study military drumming, for it is essentially a military instrument and its true character cannot be brought out with an incorrect method. When a composer wants a martial effect, he instinctively turns to the drums."

Before the advent of radio and electronic communications, the snare drum was often used to communicate orders to the soldiers. American troops were woken up by drum and fife, playing about 5 minutes of music, including the well known Three Camps . Troops were also called for meals by certain drum pieces such as "Peas on a Trencher", or "Roast Beef". A piece called the "Tattoo" was used to signal that all soldiers should be in their tent, and "The Fatigue" was used to police the quarters or drum unruly women out of the camp.

Many of these military pieces required a thorough grounding in rudiment drumming; indeed Moeller states that: "They the rudimental drummers were the only ones who could do it play the military camp duty pieces." Moeller furthermore states that "No matter how well a drummer can read, if he does not know the rudimental system of drumming, it is impossible for him to play the THE THREE CAMPS, BREAKFAST CALL, or in fact any of the Duty except the simple beats such as THE TROOP."

Hey Jeff: you need to give Fred Johnson a call or email. He did extensive research on Three Camps

and can tell you everything you ever wanted to know about it. He is one of the guys responsible for Cadre in Ontario.

You can reach him here:

http://www.cadre-online.ca/contact.html

( hope its ok to post the web site )

Edited by jmackay

Sorry, it posted twice.

Edited by jmackay