Corps mouthpieces

The Other Mike

If the student is seriously considering a career in instrumental performance, he really needs to learn how to adapt.

Sorry man, I've got a good deal of respect for you (FCO!!!) but that's complete BS (no pun intended) as far as this topic goes.

Would you cut the second chair of the CSO (John Hagstrom) because his mouthpieces is much smaller then a 3C?... Because it is, like a Bach 6/7/8 (all the same diameter, different rim). Philip Smith... 1C rim, 5B underpart. Is he on the alternate list? Sorry that I'm coming across as a smarty butt, I'm a visual instructor and designer... It's my nature :lookaround:

Nope, these players (and many other pros) get told to go after a certain timbre and they achieve it. The equipment is not what they adapt, THEY adapt.

Brass sections in todays drum corps are all about "systems". I'm noticing a trend among a certain system that I'm starting to have serious issues with and I'm now recommending very good players to skip the corps experience. Sorry, some of the pedagogy being pushed is starting to become very questionable. This is the issue that some people outside our world are having issues with, not the old "it's bad for your chops" reason.

I can see how this happened though. Some soprano player came in to a camp in 1984 and played a 14a4a on the lead part to a Copland piece. Of course, he stuck out like a sore thumb. Caption head gets annoyed and looks at the mouthpiece and proclaims it banned. Then an hour later, he notice a couple of thirds playing the same piece.

Annoyed, he proclaims.... "By next camp.... I... I... I want all of you all on a.... Umm... Ummm (has to think of what his friend plays because he's a baritone player that doesn't know anything about trumpet mouthpieces)... A 3C!!!" The birth of this craze was born and he begins to think that they will all sound the same now too.

A simple solution is this and it is what should be posted (with grammar better then mine) on a website:

Trumpets - No lead (shallow cup) mouthpieces allowed. We require at least a medium cup mouthpiece that are typically used in a "symphonic" setting on a Bb trumpet. Ask your private teacher or email caption head, Bob Loblaw, at PedalTonePusher@splat.com with questions.

From there you can make suggestions.

:-)

Edited by CloudHype

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And therein lies the real deal....a mouthpiece has to suit the player and the task at hand. My brother played lead on a wide rim mpc. I could never get used to it. But on a frenchie, I tried a 5BW - liked the rim but the cup and back bore were too big for the range I needed.

Bingo... the corps should recommend a piece that would work vs. forcing a one size fits all mentality.

The rim and shallowness of the 3C (My tone is brighter as it is), is the reason I stayed clear of the mouthpiece in legit settings. I'm in the process of going to a smaller diameter mouthpiece from my Warburton 4MD, to a smaller piece (John Hagstrom Yamaha). Personal preference of feel against my chops, and the Hagstrom has a BIG sound to it with a dark core despite its Bach 6/7/8 size.

Sorry man, I've got a good deal of respect for you (FCO!!!) but that's complete BS (no pun intended) as far as this topic goes.

Would you cut the second chair of the CSO (John Hagstrom) because his mouthpieces is much smaller then a 3C?... Because it is, like a Bach 6/7/8 (all the same diameter, different rim). Philip Smith... 1C rim, 5B underpart. Is he on the alternate list? Sorry that I'm coming across as a smarty butt, I'm a visual instructor and designer... It's my nature :lookaround:

Nope, these players (and many other pros) get told to go after a certain timbre and they achieve it. The equipment is not what they adapt, THEY adapt.

Brass sections in todays drum corps are all about "systems". I'm noticing a trend among a certain system that I'm starting to have serious issues with and I'm now recommending very good players to skip the corps experience. Sorry, some of the pedagogy being pushed is starting to become very questionable. This is the issue that some people outside our world are having issues with, not the old "it's bad for your chops" reason.

I can see how this happened though. Some soprano player came in to a camp in 1984 and played a 14a4a on the lead part to a Copland piece. Of course, he stuck out like a sore thumb. Caption head gets annoyed and looks at the mouthpiece and proclaims it banned. Then an hour later, he notice a couple of thirds playing the same piece.

Annoyed, he proclaims.... "By next camp.... I... I... I want all of you all on a.... Umm... Ummm (has to think of what his friend plays because he's a baritone player that doesn't know anything about trumpet mouthpieces)... A 3C!!!" The birth of this craze was born and he begins to think that they will all sound the same now too.

A simple solution is this and it is what should be posted (with grammar better then mine) on a website:

Trumpets - No lead (shallow cup) mouthpieces allowed. We require at least a medium cup mouthpiece that are typically used in a "symphonic" setting on a Bb trumpet. Ask your private teacher or email caption head, Bob Loblaw, at PedalTonePusher@splat.com with questions.

From there you can make suggestions.

:-)

Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for the feedback.

Please don't take offense... I honestly meant when I say that you are highly respected by me. This topic is the only one that I disagree with that I've seen you comment on. I'm just a little passionate on it because I'm seeing good players get turned away by their private/applied teachers from marching.

Best of luck this summer, look forward to hearing you guys.

!

Pay particular attention to 2:27 + on the video.

If you ever get a chance to catch these guys in person, they're fun. Especially on the baroque trumpets.

Please don't take offense... I honestly meant when I say that you are highly respected by me. This topic is the only one that I disagree with that I've seen you comment on. I'm just a little passionate on it because I'm seeing good players get turned away by their private/applied teachers from marching.

Best of luck this summer, look forward to hearing you guys.

No offense taken, I was simply thanking you for the feedback.

!

Pay particular attention to 2:27 + on the video.

If you ever get a chance to catch these guys in person, they're fun. Especially on the baroque trumpets.

That whole series is really well done. No one knows versatility in playing like military musicians.

If drum corps were supposed to have a "dark" sound, they'd be using cornets and tenor horns...and they'd be called "brass bands".

Reminds me of my very first lesson in college. I was asked to have a couple pieces prepared to play. At the end of the first one, my trumpet professor said:

"Thank God, you didn't listen to your band director. You actually sound like you are playing a trumpet, not a trumpet player trying to sound like a cornet player".