2009 retreat

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm gonna open an old can of worms here but was the retreat in '08 that bad? People being drunk on the field aside (cause I'm sure that's never happened before. -_-) All we had were a couple trumpet players playing obscene things but, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't that always the case? Most of the people around myself (including me) thought it was quite funny and just the kids blowing off some steam from the season. Comments?

Retreat isn't about "blowing off steam," you're performing as much as you're performing your show. If drum corps have lost the ability to teach that, something's gone wrong and needs to be corrected.

It was embarrassing for the corps and for the activity. Individual expression isn't an option in drum corps. That's not some facist sentiment I'm expressing. Playing the music as written and rehearsed is fundamental. Surrender that, and it's over.

HH

How can you possibly say that when you have corps (that shall remain unnamed) that blatantly don't take retreat seriously and haven't been for years?

America/O Canada was broken from day one. If you want to see "mass performance" done right, check out the one from the Tour of Champions in 2004. A fanfare, Simple Gifts and Sing, Sing, Sing. If DCI was ever to bring mass performance back in some form, they'd do well to revisit that format.

If they want members to respect retreat, they should bring retreat back in some form more than once a year. How many 2010 members marched in '04 when retreats were last being held? It's hard to take something serious when it's only performed once, and within the last few minutes of tour.

I felt like I missed out on a large part of what is drum corps tradition by missing retreat. I understand why they got rid of retreat, but DCI should consider having retreats at regionals at least.

If they want members to respect retreat, they should bring retreat back in some form more than once a year. How many 2010 members marched in '04 when retreats were last being held? It's hard to take something serious when it's only performed once, and within the last few minutes of tour.

I felt like I missed out on a large part of what is drum corps tradition by missing retreat. I understand why they got rid of retreat, but DCI should consider having retreats at regionals at least.

I agree.

It is really upsetting that I've never been in a retreat in the two years I marched.

If you understand the reason why they got rid of it, please explain to me. I have never heard a good explanation. Yeah, yeah, I get the travel thing (of course corps had to travel on much worse buses in the 70's and 80's). But why not at least at regional/weekend/bigger shows?

Some of my most cherished memories came from retreat, as both a performer and audience member. Among them, was our opportunity to have Suncoast Sound play their Requiem to us and getting to play back for them in 1984 at some small show down south. I don't remember that show, but I still get goosebumps recalling that magnificent hornline playing to us and their reaction to us playing for them. The general respect shown from passing in review of the winner was also pretty significant and now somewhat lacking in the "why are we doing this foreign last-minute addition" retreats of recent years at finals.

I did the whole retreat thing throughout the season and it was a pain in the balls. Trust me, no one was complaining when they would cancel a retreat because bad weather was rolling in. After a show, I just want to get out of uniform and do some serious eating.

How can you possibly say that when you have corps (that shall remain unnamed) that blatantly don't take retreat seriously and haven't been for years?

The mild antics and relaxed attitude of the Cavaliers and a few other corps don't really compare to deliberately sabotaging a performance piece, do they? Unless you get hit in the face with one of those #### jolly ranchers.

If your a real performer, it doesn't matter how lame or pointless you think your task is. You grin and you do it the best you can, and save your whining for afterward. If you can actually do it, then go ahead and take it up an octave, or do a little embellishment. If not, just play it straight.

As for interspersing the caption awards with the placement awards, it's a transparent borrowing from BOA. The idea is to create more suspense. It makes sense in theory, but it doesn't really work, IMO.