What and Why, 27th Lancers?

Thank you, Uncle Z for that classic shot of Kevin.

I like it when people can confirm my crazy stuff after 30 years.

I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday, but I can tell you corps reps and stuff that happened for near forever ago, LOL.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tansea- No one EVER played "Danny Boy" like 27. Just reading your post, I got massive goose bumps and misty eyes. Possibly the best "exit" in drum corps history!!! :ph34r:

I know, huh. I can listen to it played by just about anyone and still get all nostalgic for 27. :ph34r:

Tansea- No one EVER played "Danny Boy" like 27. Just reading your post, I got massive goose bumps and misty eyes. Possibly the best "exit" in drum corps history!!! :ph34r:

What made them so popular back in the day? Why is that style not being used in Drum Corps anymore?

There is just something about that arrangement of Crown Imperial that still gives me chills. Add the guard doing perfect drop spins with those tri-color flags, killer drum line, and balls to wall hornline and you have the recipe for a corps that is still loved decades later.

Hes an Icon in my book. Great posts my man, keep it coming. I partied with him once. After a show in 85, Him and Mark S. I believe. Classic 2 hours of my life. He sure was a diffrent fellow. I knew there was something special about this cat I just met in Allentown, Down on that road, down the hill. Lets just say he cracked me up. Funny dude. You know, Sal Salas reminds me of him. Ill bet he has some good stories to tell about him.

The difference with Sal and george was that If George believed in Something he fought to the end for it and would be upfront to your face, not trying to please everyone. George was a man all his own !!!

Thanks Bob. As a legend in my own mind - I have to agree. I marched 4 years and was on the staff for 4 more. What I did while marching, and then teaching 4 years later, could not be compared. We were always evolving - just like every other corps. And as different corps starting pushing the envelop, everyone else had to catch up, or get left behind. This is still true today.

One of the things that made 27th distinct started with our uniform. Many corps were wearing West Point style cadet uniforms. In part due to the cost on those uniforms, and the corps style based on the movie The Charge of the Light Brigade, it was decided to keep the uniform simple - which had a profound affect on membership and fans alike. Within a year or two, the theme of the four British Isles (England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales) was evident in the corps various uniforms and marching majors.

To the strengths of the corps - guard was always strong - visual was always strong - GE was always written into the show.

In the first 8 years of the corps life, the hornline was the section that was getting the marks - with no disrespect to the hard working monsters of the drumline. Starting in 1976, the tables were turning and the drumline starting getting noticed - we defeated the Blue Devils in percussion at Drums Along the Rockies in Denver. Again - the hornline was working hard, more musical, better phrasing - all of the qualities needed to help the corps - but other corps were getting the edge in the brass caption.

Also - right from the very beginning, the staff was designing the show around the rules - looking for opportunities to take advantage of what the rules did NOT say. An example - you had to cross the end zone to enter the field. But no one said you couldn't start on the back sideline. The baritones/contras formed small squads and marched around the corner to enter the field. Another example - the tempo was judged and was supposed to be around 120 BPM. 27th fooled around with their tempos and set a musical portion back to 120 BPM when it was judged.

The corps also had the one of the toughest and fiercest competitors in all of drum corps in the Boston Crusaders - located within a half hour drive of Revere. I compare this to SCV and BD being in the same geographical location, as well as Cavies and Phantom.

It was a great corps - and I am enormously proud of my heritage. I marched with some of the original members, was taught by Ike Ianessa (RIP) and drum instructor Jim Buckley. I marched with George Zingali and years later I taught 27th with him. I always say that I was at the right place, at the right time, all thanks to George and Patsy Bonfiglio.

I'd first heard and seen 27th in 69. Off the line was in the corner and the sound of the horns and drums projected to the audience. The guard was unique in that they wore their pouches on the right side, the flags an effervescent green. I now realize I was also in the right place, at the right time, thanks to you.

Starting in 1976, the tables were turning and the drumline starting getting noticed - we defeated the Blue Devils in percussion at Drums Along the Rockies in Denver.

:thumbup::worthy::rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Awesome!!! I was told they went undefeated that year!! This made my day!!!! :tongue:

The 27th Lancers style of show would not work today because some of the judging captions have been rewritten since this show was on the field, and other captions, most notably the " General Effect " captions have different yardsticks used to ascertain superior " General Effect " from inferior " General Effect.

There can be little doubt that if the 27th Lancers were in existence today, the staff would never design such shows as this, as they would be completely buried in placement. ( Conversely, today's Corps staff would never design shows like they do today for back then, or else they would have the marchers subjected to different standards.... and likewise buried with the judging captions utilized in the late 70's, early 80's, as well )

Interesting thoughts, but the fact is that today's sheets are a deliberate attempt to change the judging system to allow corps like 27th a better chance at winning. The efficient performances of the west coast corps where great and exciting in their own way, but 27th had people standing up for the sheer thrill of their performance. I can remember one show that SCV beat 27th and the crowd never stood up except at the end in repsectful admisration, but the crowd lept to their feet six or seven times during 27th. SCV won by 2 points. DCI was smart enough to realize that they needed to encourage less execution and more excitement and 27th's role in that is as significant as any corps in history.

• 4 weeks later...