KILTIES play on all Gs.

The horns NEVER WIN A THING it is the people playing them..............

How many times a year, and how many different thread titles can we come up with to say the same thing..............

Signed,

A former Guard Captain from

a little known drum corps.........

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And look at who won the Brass ensemble at I@E

Brass Ensemble

1. Kilties 96

2. Power Zone 95

3. DerbyCity Knights 94

4. Prime Time 93

5. Freelancers 92

6. Capital Brass #1 91

7. Renegades 89

8. Micro Brass 87

9. Capital Brass #2 85

10. ParkCity Pride 82

11. SteelCityAmbassadors 80

12. Shenandoah Sound 79

Just goes to show that this MYTH about G horns cannot win is so very untrue. They are not dead by a long shot.

Of course, when I posed the question earlier regarding how many corps have won championships on G trumpets, it was in reference to DCA/DCI Open and World Class corps. If I were charged with the decision to outfit my corps with a complete new set of instruments, the fact that only 2 major championships have been won on G since the legalization of Bb would seem to indicate that the judging community favors the overall tone quality, intonation, richness of harmonics and smoothness of scale that Bb provides. In addition to the fact that as more corps change to Bb, the G line will become more and more expensive to purchase and maintain.

For the record the Kiltie tenor line is keyed in C flat Major.

Of course, when I posed the question earlier regarding how many corps have won championships on G trumpets, it was in reference to DCA/DCI Open and World Class corps. If I were charged with the decision to outfit my corps with a complete new set of instruments, the fact that only 2 major championships have been won on G since the legalization of Bb would seem to indicate that the judging community favors the overall tone quality, intonation, richness of harmonics and smoothness of scale that Bb provides. In addition to the fact that as more corps change to Bb, the G line will become more and more expensive to purchase and maintain.

Possibly just a causal relationship - those corps that can afford it (or have the clout for sponsorships) can afford to update their hornlines more often, and being that (in general) band instruments are cheaper than bugles, it makes more fiscal sense to purchase Bb instead of G. Corps that can afford such purchases can also usually afford to pay more for better arrangements, afford better staff, waive dues for better players, etc. With this in mind, one might just as well pose the question "how many corps that have an annual revenue stream less than $XX have won championships" - I would guess that for the most part the same corps would show up.

As examples, look at Star of Indiana (DCI) and Syracuse Brigadiers (DCA) - highly unlikely that Star could have made Top 12 their first year out if they weren't able to afford the staff, horns, arrangements, drill, etc. that they had. Brigadiers seem to be the perfect example - when their bingo operation was in full force, they were top dogs for quite some time. Bingo went away, championships went away, Brigadiers went away (from DCA competition - nothing but good wishes on a speedy return! And yes, I know that membership was more the cause than financial this year, but IMHO that is at least indirectly related to $$ as well.).

Anyway, to finish my ramble...I'm glad that there are still corps out there that value the tradition of the G bugle, and I'm especially glad that I have been able to march on a G contra for these past 24 years - I think if my only choice was to march Bb, I would start looking for a community band instead. Kudos to Kilties, the Marine Corps, and all those other drum and bugle corps that are keeping the G bugle tradition alive.

I guess I am still wondering why this thread was started and what are we trying to get from it.

Yes Kilties still play on G's...so does Empire, Renegades many class A corps, alumnis and mini corps......and........what?

DA

I guess I am still wondering why this thread was started and what are we trying to get from it.

Yes Kilties still play on G's...so does Empire, Renegades many class A corps, alumnis and mini corps......and........what?

DA

Remember the "Bored" thread from years ago...? I think that's all it is. Just sayin.......

DA

Well this started out a thread about Kilties being on G bugles. Then it was proven that there is no magic crystal ball about Bb having a advantage at DCA.

There are more Bb in DCA that there are G bugles and for a G bugle to win a championship (Empire 04) and to win a Brass Caption in 08 against a whole slew of Bb horns,,says something about the G bugles that they are not inferior instruments and when played right,,can BEAT the Bb.

Ohh yeah and they can rip your face off too. SNORT!@#$

Well this started out a thread about Kilties being on G bugles. Then it was proven that there is no magic crystal ball about Bb having a advantage at DCA.

There are more Bb in DCA that there are G bugles and for a G bugle to win a championship (Empire 04) and to win a Brass Caption in 08 against a whole slew of Bb horns,,says something about the G bugles that they are not inferior instruments and when played right,,can BEAT the Bb.

Ohh yeah and they can rip your face off too. SNORT!@#$

Actually you are the one that changed the voice of the thread and only one that brought up whether or not either had a competitive edge.

AGAIN - a wise old FOSSIL told me once "It's not how many in the horn line, but how many horn players in the line"......................same holds true for the instrument as I said yesterday.

Actually you are the one that changed the voice of the thread and only one that brought up whether or not either had a competitive edge.

ACtually if you will go back to the original post the question was

KILTIES play on all Gs.

"That is impressive. Does it make a diffrence?"

The difference I was pointing out that Bb do NOT have a competitive advantage too them when G Bugles have won a championship with them head to head against Bb and won a brass caption head to head against Bb.

So the original question has been asked and answered.

I would really like to see a Mythbusters type test done on G vs Bb. Obviously, obviously, obviously horn players comprise most of the difference in the sound between the two. But theres enough first hand experience in this forum that supports two truisms about this. First the best G line never sounded as good as Bb. And second the loudest Bb line has never sounded as loud as a G line.

Edited by Scerpella