I know what you mean, Jeff. Performed in something like 10 of them now ranging over 4 decades and sat in on at least one between all that.

Problem is that we're all getting too ###### old. :worthy:

Other problem has been a slowly enroaching issue- It used to be that most of SiB were active competitors using the show as a preview appearance. Corps like the Cabs, Bucs, Westshore, Blue Coats, Crossmen, and I am certain others- those are the ones I can recall actually seeing there-- would also draw people, particularly the younger crowds.

For various and sundry reasons- I'd guess cost, the desire for a couple of corps to show themselves early at their own previews to make direct money for their corps, groups not really being ready, etc. That's pretty much stopped happening. I think we need a blend of both old school and new school to make it sustainable. I think having something like that would breathe new life into old geezers like me, and also energize some of the youngin's as well. Good synergy! How to do that- Uncertain.

We'll see where the future goes, Jeff. For some reason, I'm optimistic something will happen to replace SiB in one shape or form in some way, though. I can't tell you why I think it, because it's just a real gut feeling and a bit of corny optimism on my part.

It's kind of like what happened in "Field of Dreams"- Someone will build something in some shape or form, I think- and we will come. The trick will be to try and do something to make sure we continue to bring in younger folks to try and make it sustainable.

Doing the gig takes 35 years off my soul, but there's only so much that can do for me, man! :thumbup:

Big W

Edited by BigW

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the few corps I did get to see, I wasn't in a good place for which to review.

as someone who has been at every Serenade in Brass...as a little kid watching his dad, a fan, a performer and instructor...

my heart is breaking. In fact when it is not breaking, I am in denial.

the high we had coming off of the stage, only to be told before the audience was....well....crushing.

Oh I understand why. But it sucks.

It was my opening day, my favorite day of the year, since I was 6.

Thanks Jeff, I could not have said it any better!! I was always going to the outdoor shows since 1960. My parents did not know there was such a thing as an indoor show until 1981, which was my first year with Westshoremen. I have missed a few shows due to circumstances beyond my control, but I was at most of the shows since 1981.

I know what you mean, Jeff. Performed in something like 10 of them now ranging over 4 decades and sat in on at least one between all that.

Problem is that we're all getting too ###### old. :worthy:

Other problem has been a slowly enroaching issue- It used to be that most of SiB were active competitors using the show as a preview appearance. Corps like the Cabs, Bucs, Westshore, Blue Coats, Crossmen, and I am certain others- those are the ones I can recall actually seeing there-- would also draw people, particularly the younger crowds.

For various and sundry reasons- I'd guess cost, the desire for a couple of corps to show themselves early at their own previews to make direct money for their corps, groups not really being ready, etc. That's pretty much stopped happening. I think we need a blend of both old school and new school to make it sustainable. I think having something like that would breathe new life into old geezers like me, and also energize some of the youngin's as well. Good synergy! How to do that- Uncertain.

We'll see where the future goes, Jeff. For some reason, I'm optimistic something will happen to replace SiB in one shape or form in some way, though. I can't tell you why I think it, because it's just a real gut feeling and a bit of corny optimism on my part.

It's kind of like what happened in "Field of Dreams"- Someone will build something in some shape or form, I think- and we will come. The trick will be to try and do something to make sure we continue to bring in younger folks to try and make it sustainable.

Doing the gig takes 35 years off my soul, but there's only so much that can do for me, man! :thumbup:

Big W

Well....I thought like you after Hershey. 4 years later, I have no local show to attend in the summer, and fewer that are within 2 hours

Well....I thought like you after Hershey. 4 years later, I have no local show to attend in the summer, and fewer that are within 2 hours

Yes. All that's left is Allentown- and IMHO it's pretty salty for seats and unless you have your seats by January- not worth it. I end up in the boonies. Also, I hate to say it- but I think they're trying to replace old schoolers like me with the emotionless golf-clappers who feel obliged to applaud politely for everyone like they're at a Jr.Hi. band concert or a CYO bake sale regardless of how great or how boring any given performance is.

At least we have the DCI Quarterfinals simulcast here. It's a fair price, the sound is good in the theatre and usually, I have a good time unless some clown starts texting and blinding me with their blackberry during every performance. Luckily, two guys who were much bigger and meaner than I was backed me up with I asked the lady to shut the thing off and she got snotty. God Bless 'em. :lol:

I went to Scranton last year and had a great time. Great seats, some really inspired DCA performances from the Cabs, Minnesota Brass, Hurcs, and Bucs at that show. All due respect for all of those corps. If I can, I'll be back there.

Lewisburg isn't so bad. Just depends who I end up next to I guess. Also got to get seats early.

I guess it's a steady erosion of the choke-hold the Northeast US used to have on the activity. Good for everyone else, bad for us here. And yeah, I miss Hershey, too. Some great times there as a performer chasing pigeons after trooping the stands... :thumbup: .... some good times as a fan, especially remember one Madison performance where I got my face ripped off in Row 6... :worthy: - and one bad time there when some absolute nimrods didn't get that I was "BLOO-ing" the Blue Coats after a particularly inspired performace from them and they nearly got into a fistfight with me. I think that was a signal of the start of seeing all the wonderful "changes" in the activity for me and the moment Drum Corps may have Jumped the shark as far as I'm concerned.... :worthy:

The Beeg W

Left early so missed the announcement, heard about it the next day. :thumbup: Even more sad is I can understand it considering the economy and state of drum corps today. I was in the first few SoBs, including Westshores first sponsored concert at Cumberland Valley High School (had a tape and it was lost in a move). Have bunch of hand made tapes from the 80s laying around.

As history the show used to be earlier (memories of bad versions of St Patricks music) and included all types of corps. Back when corps were more local and had more winter music rehearsals the music would/could be ready by the concert season. Even without stands for lot of corps. In the 70s/80s/90s SoB had the military (USAF Colorado, US Naval Academy, US Coast Guard), Sr (Sky, Bucs, Y-Rs competing, Choclatiers, etc) and even Jr corps most notably Crossmen and Bluecoats.

In fact in the late 70s, Westshore, Buccs and Crossmen would "round robin" and do each others shows.

*sigh* now last competing corps at SoB was Cabs and doubt if any Jr corps could present the music at this date. Or if any All-Ager would want to. So we are down to the Alumni-types, Hip Pickles, Minis and Swing House for pre-season entertainment. *sigh*

Just a history lesson....

In fact in the late 70s, Westshore, Buccs and Crossmen would "round robin" and do each others shows.

Same story a bit farther east..... Sun, Cabs, Sky and Hurcs did the "round robin" shows during the winter/spring months.

Sorry to sound so down here.... but with things like the end of "Serenade" happening, along with the economy and other societal/demographic factors..... I wonder sometimes about the long-term viability of the drum corps activity, at all levels. I really hope I'm wrong about the future.... but perhaps we should all enjoy the activity we have... at all levels... while we still have it.

Fran

Left early so missed the announcement, heard about it the next day. :thumbup: Even more sad is I can understand it considering the economy and state of drum corps today. I was in the first few SoBs, including Westshores first sponsored concert at Cumberland Valley High School (had a tape and it was lost in a move). Have bunch of hand made tapes from the 80s laying around.

As history the show used to be earlier (memories of bad versions of St Patricks music) and included all types of corps. Back when corps were more local and had more winter music rehearsals the music would/could be ready by the concert season. Even without stands for lot of corps. In the 70s/80s/90s SoB had the military (USAF Colorado, US Naval Academy, US Coast Guard), Sr (Sky, Bucs, Y-Rs competing, Choclatiers, etc) and even Jr corps most notably Crossmen and Bluecoats.

*sigh* now last competing corps at SoB was Cabs and doubt if any Jr corps could present the music at this date. Or if any All-Ager would want to. So we are down to the Alumni-types, Hip Pickles, Minis and Swing House for pre-season entertainment. *sigh*

Just a history lesson....

,.............much to glean from your thoughts Jim,.......Tom and I discussed things like this in depth on the way home yesterday.............I attended my first SIB in 1984 I think,...........at the time, the corps were all competing corps, very few alumni's even in existance at the time............the performers AND audience were a LOT younger,..........as I watched the corps this year, and scanned the audience, I would say that 75 - 80% of the people were over 50 years old,..................almost stunning for me to see a very youthful performance by the Bridgemen, and to see them take their cover off, and note the many "stately" members they have,............. Jeff noted having to travel a minimum of 2 hours to get to a show these days,..............yesterday we traveled past town after town that either had a corps, or a corps and a show,...........................

Reading is a little over an hour away, thay had camp this weekend, but choose to not loose the valuable rehearsal time to take the performance shot?,..............I'm not complaining, that's just an example of how it goes I guess,................

Edited by Gary Matczak

well, my only public request for next year is this:

Larry, Westshore started this show.

we #### well better close it. In fact, I'm not sure we've been the last corps on stage since the 80's

Jeff, I agree- Must finish the show. That being said, we'd better be able to back it the heck up. :worthy:

And Jim, I sure remember the St. Pat's Day Baskets of Cheer raffle.

You know, I NEVER had a hard time selling those tickets. They were perhaps the best raffle prizes given known in the history of mankind. Even 5th prize was a nice stash of some really good hooch. :thumbup:

B-W

And no I don't have my Curriculum Vitae listed. I been around long enuff and caused too much trouble as is. :worthy:

well, my only public request for next year is this:

Larry, Westshore started this show.

we #### well better close it. In fact, I'm not sure we've been the last corps on stage since the 80's

I also think that we should play tunes from the 1980's as well as tunes from the 1990's!!