This is an unfortunate turn of events. I really wanted to make it out to the show to see Westshore, but being a WGI weekend, it wasn't to be. I hope something can be worked out to keep the show going in some form after 2011. Maybe merge it with Reading's Preview Show or something.

One thing that is really telling is the statement about the SiB audience not getting any younger. It's as if DCI and the Alumni movement has opposite problems. People are complaining that DCI isn't doing anything to hold on to older/legacy fans, while the alumni corps are doing nothing to bring in new/young ones.

Edited by Kamarag

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an unfortunate turn of events. I really wanted to make it out to the show to see Westshore, but being a WGI weekend, it wasn't to be. I hope something can be worked out to keep the show going in some form after 2011. Maybe merge it with Reading's Preview Show or something.

One thing that is really telling is the statement about the SiB audience not getting any younger. It's as if DCI and the Alumni movement has opposite problems. People are complaining that DCI isn't doing anything to hold on to older/legacy fans, while the alumni corps are doing nothing to bring in new/young ones.

Bucs Alumni tries very hard to recruit the younger alumni from Bucs and other corps. I notice some success with this, onstage. Bucs has an active field corps to at least try and draw from, as does Cabs. I think that helps a lot.

Most younger people, if they're going to do corps would rather do a field show and NOT an alumni corps. Which is cool, I don't blame them...you just have to be patient and wait for their knees to give out.

well...the lack of competing corps preforming helping draw young bodies to the show hurts. And, with no Westshore competitive corps, the local fan base incentive is gone

well...the lack of competing corps preforming helping draw young bodies to the show hurts. And, with no Westshore competitive corps, the local fan base incentive is gone
Well, there are in ALL probability, many more issues that most of us aren't privy to but when the powers that be get together to determine to future of the Westshoremen Drum Corps and what direction will be taken, and if consideration is given the producing a competitive Corps once again, perhaps a new fan base could be generated as well as renewed interest from the present and past fans base. Another financial factor that was mentioned on more then one occasion was the fact that there wasn't nearly as good as the support of the members of this year's Alumni Corps. I, for one, know this as I'm one of the offenders and I assure you next year I WILL make every attempt to make a difference. What I hope is that the show continue perhaps with a different name (if that won't offend anyone) in a less expensive venue.

Sunny Siglow, :thumbup: (That's for you Jeffy.)

well, my only public request for next year is this:

Larry, Westshore started this show.

we #### well better close it.

I agree.

No offense meant to any of the other corps that will participate in the final Serenade.... but it would be wonderful symmetry to have the Westshoremen Alumni close the deal.

Fran

I agree.

No offense meant to any of the other corps that will participate in the final Serenade.... but it would be wonderful symmetry to have the Westshoremen Alumni close the deal.

Fran

:thumbup: Hey, I think I hear a murmur, even letting old WBS guys play, sound good , whattya think? :worthy:

when the powers that be get together to determine to future of the Westshoremen Drum Corps and what direction will be taken, and if consideration is given the producing a competitive Corps once again, perhaps a new fan base could be generated as well as renewed interest from the present and past fans base.

If Westshore were to field a competitive corps again, it would just about make my millennium. I will always cherish the years I spent taking last place (or pretty close to it) with this corps. Even in smaller numbers, there was always something special about it. I've spent my entire drum corps career helping out with smaller units, but only one ever truly felt like it was "my" corps; the corps where I felt like I was home. If the powers that be are listening...

I agree.

Fran

Amen, Fran! They've earned the right, in my book!

Bucs Alumni tries very hard to recruit the younger alumni from Bucs and other corps. I notice some success with this, onstage. Bucs has an active field corps to at least try and draw from, as does Cabs. I think that helps a lot.

Most younger people, if they're going to do corps would rather do a field show and NOT an alumni corps. Which is cool, I don't blame them...you just have to be patient and wait for their knees to give out.

I agree in regards to recruiting members, but I was talking more about fan base. Most alumni corps are nothing more than a passing curiosity at best to folks under 50, even under the best of circumstances, unless they have a personal tie to a given corps.

Alumni corps need to figure out how to revere this, or it will be the first major component of the current corps movement to die.

:thumbup: Hey, I think I hear a murmur, even letting old WBS guys play, sound good , whattya think? :worthy:

we have some now....join em