Buddy Rich at SiB!?!?!? When!?

We know Superman was there several times.... :tongue:

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First appearance for Steel City was 1980. 20 years later, in 2000 they performed as Alumni.

Started out with a number that had a wailing sop in the audience. DM directed the corps for a the first few bars and then pointed toward the crowd and you heard a high pitched "WAAAAAA!!!". Helluva way to start off as the crowd ate it up. Can't remember the name of the song as never heard it before but it was a high energy number. :tongue:

Hmmmm and BigW knows Superman......

Edit: Add to Garys list Wind Gap Blue Eagles and Hershey Chocolatiers in the late 70s/early 80s. Plus US Coast Guard Academy out of New London, CT about two years in the 80s. Found my cassettes but only recorded until 1985 or so and only saved corps not on the DCA albums.

And for Larrys trivia question at the show: first ever line up was

Cumberland Valley HS Jazz Band

Schuykill(sp!) Haven Belvederes

Westshshoremen

Yankee-Rebels

(I believe in that order)

Show held at Cumberland Valley High School but can't remember if it was called SiB back then.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Marines are tough to get in April...I believe military balls get in the way.

They have been there twice in recent years in April.... also several years at the Rebels' Dixie Stinger show in April. Usually early April, aftet they get back from their Arizona drill camp and West coast tour.

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

I recall at my first show the Maryland State Fife & Drum Corps performing.

And here's another vote for the Westshoremen closing the show next year, seems only fitting.

Would be great if Empire would come in for the last show. They know how to entertain an audience.

I'll add Buccs Alumni and US Naval Academy as they were at as many SiBs as anyone. Disclaimer is I missed about 10-15 shows over the decades.

Yankee-Rebels Alumni as they were the "name" corps at the very first show.

And for the history... Erie Thunderbirds and Hanover Lancers because of the rivalry BITD. Yeah... yeah.... have another reason for adding that second corps. And that's beside the reason of people asking why the corps wasn't in the show and we had to admit we didn't have a clue.

ok, better late than never...

I am honored to say that I once marched with Westshore. Your performance at Serenade was incredible. What great solo and duet work my "real' brother did but, also my corps brothers Phil, Bill, Jim and Frank too ! Woo hoo...your brought back so many wonderful memories. THANK YOU !!!

Belvideres later became Black Diamond Regiment IIRC.

And yes, Jim, I have plenty of "Rick Lee" as a couple of DCW reporters inaccurately referred to him as in 82 and 83 stories spanning three decades, but that stuff would properly belong on the Westshoremen thread is anywhere at all! :tongue: