well, from the 2nd row of risers, it appeared to me Westshore kicked ###
Gotta agree there. One hell of a job. All of the work really paid off and the audience really ate it up, especially those solos at the end of "Blues In The Night". Percussion was dead on too. And since I did double duty that night with the Bridgemen, and 2 of the tougher books of the night, my lip is now chopped liver. But I wouldn't change a think. To entertein the crowd is what we ALL want to do. And it was "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" big time.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Point me to the next great idea...

BHOF I&E's ... right Ray? ... you must admit that the Garfield and Boston shows offered a glimmer of fraternity rarely seen "during" a show ... let alone at the after-parties ...

See you in Bridgeport ... I&E followed by a Dinner no less ... YIKES!!!!

Andy "your cordial BHOF MC" Lisko

I agree with you completely on that Jeff - I've been around the alum activity just about from the beginning, and when people were saying "Alumni corps will replace competitive corps, etc." I wasn't buying it.

And let's face it, almost all the Alumni corps members come from past competing corps. As the number of competing corps stays down, it really cuts down on the number of potential members.

Great activity - I have to admit though (and I won't name any specific corps) I've walked away from more than one alumni show thinking "If I have to hear them play that [fillin the blanks for song title] I'll shoot myself."

Few years back, Lancers asked the members for ideas on helping the corps for the future. One of the ideas most brought up was for more variety in music. IOW - not everything has to sound like a parade tune. IMO it helped kept us from getting stale and think it might have helped in recruiting some younger members.

I always think of that old Ricky Nelson song "Garden Party"...

Thanks Ray... I HATE that song... now it's stuck in my head...

"...rather drive a truck.." :thumbup:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

And so it looked and sounded from Section 205, Row G, Seats 1-5! :thumbup:

Sounded great from in front of the soprano screamers as well!! Also, we are working to put a kick butt ### pit on the stage next year.

Edited by buzzgok

With apologies for how long this has taken....

If there are any photos and or audio files you'd like a copy of please feel free to use as you see fit.

4-10-10 Serenade in Brass

4-10-10 SIB-Bridgemen Alumni

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sundm/sets/72157623847821304/

p://www.zshare.net/audio/74920693950414fb/[/url]

4-10-10 SIB-Bridgemen Alumni073 (14.82 MB)

http://www.zshare.net/audio/74920391d2075823/

Tony...

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR PICS AND AUDIO!

Your efforts are greatly appreciated!

It was really great seeing you, as always!!!

...Jimmy

well

well Ray, I know I have heard on more than a few occasions from older performers " i dont want to play that new (use any adjective you want). " Now I'm not saying that's all of them, but for many, they want to do "what we used to do".

the alumni movement is for the most part againg, and many of the corps don't have a competing unit from which to bolster the ranks. Eventually, like with SIB's issues, alumni corps willhave to face that fact.

When we started Westshore in 02, we joked we'd be the youngest drumline on stage. 8 years later, we are still the youngest line on stage, tho Bucs is getting younger every year.

someone is going to have replace us, I don't see that involvement and acceptance from the next generation in the droves needed.

Hey, Jeff...

I just did some calculating, and the average age of our drum line is 34.

Each year it has gotten younger!!! We are building the Bridgemen for the long haul, and it is working!!!

HYPE!!!

So.... what, in your opinions, would be the ideal lineup for the final Serenade in Brass?

IMO, the ten groups that were there this year should be back....they are kinda like a "SIB's Greatest Hits" collection.

I would add Mighty St. Joe's and the Marine Drum and Bugle Corps to the all-star lineup.

No offense to any other corps that has performed at Serenade.... but the 12 units mentioned, to me, have been the heart and soul of that show for many years.

Fran

Tony...

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR PICS AND AUDIO!

Most welcome Jim... :thumbup:

Your efforts are greatly appreciated!

Thanks...

It was really great seeing you, as always!!!

Always great seeing you!

Sorry I wasn't able to get another "Air Jordan" shot this time...LOL (you were up on your toes a few time though!)

...Jimmy

:thumbup: