2010 Retreat Compromise

How about each corps plays their corps song in a salute to the Champion? That would be going back tradition. Not saying I'm for or against it, just putting some words out there.

This.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like an abbreviated version of the old retreat would be best. 60-90 seconds for a short version of a corps song, with maybe another 60 seconds between corps. If some fat could be trimmed from elsewhere in the ceremony it wouldn't take much longer than the current version. Reinstate retreat at the major shows for practice. Mingling is cool and all, but it shouldn't happen on the audience's time.

A pipe dream, I know. God knows what we'll end up with this year.

It seems like an abbreviated version of the old retreat would be best. 60-90 seconds for a short version of a corps song, with maybe another 60 seconds between corps. If some fat could be trimmed from elsewhere in the ceremony it wouldn't take much longer than the current version. Reinstate retreat at the major shows for practice. Mingling is cool and all, but it shouldn't happen on the audience's time.

A pipe dream, I know. God knows what we'll end up with this year.

Not sure I can dig that. The performance of a corps song, as I'm sure you know, is a deeply moving experience. As a member, I wouldn't like being told I could only play a clip of something my brothers, sisters, and I hold so dear. As an alumni, I think I would be peeved to hear that from the stands, as well.

Wasn't the late 90s-early 2000s retreat a compromise in and of itself? I'm not saying this is a bad idea, but as I said in the other thread, if a drum corps can't age out people who understand what it means to perform and to be professional even when you can't be punished, something has gone wrong and needs to be addressed.

I would NOT want to play my corps song for another corps. Maybe a clip of the show, but never Autumn Leaves. It's not for them. It's for the Bluecoats.

I would NOT want to play my corps song for another corps. Maybe a clip of the show, but never Autumn Leaves. It's not for them. It's for the Bluecoats.

For us who used to be in "old retreat" (i.e. in the mid 80's) what I think is meant by "corps song" in this context is more like a signature song. Troop played Battle Hymn. In Nighthawks we simply played the reprise of our opener from the show.

When I marched in the early 90's, we played Autumn Leaves every night for retreat.

Take a lesson from DCA on this one...revert. Troop the winning corps playing something they deserve as winners

Bluecoats played Autumn Leaves in their show in 1987,1988, 1998. They played it at retreat every year until the retreat format changed. I'm not sure why it's now only for them.

I'd be honored to hear it performed by the Bluecoats again.

I would love for each corps to play themselves off the field in reverse order of placement like they used to do. It added so much to the pageantry of the show. It added a lot to the show.

Edited by jjeffeory