Are we hurting ourselves

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes #### happens and corps get banned for life even when it is not their own fault.

For example, in 2006 Cadets stayed at a school in Iowa for 2-3 days, which was great because we were able to make some much-needed major drill changes. The plan was to move out at about 9pm to get to our housing site in Nebraska. When I came into the school after dinner, the place reeked...turns out the sewer line for the whole school had gotten clogged, and every drain was backing up. We ran around trying to get everyone out of the showers, but the water still backed up to the point that there was a few inches of dirty shower water in the locker rooms and spreading into neighboring hallways, and toilets overflowing...you get the picture. We did stop it before it got even worse and did as much damage control as we could, and notified the school officials of the problem, but the next day George told us that the school was incredibly mad. We couldn't really do anything about it, but the damage was done.

Yep, I remember that newspaper article too

That hooking up with churches is a good idea, may also try scout camps and many Universities have retreats or even on campus facilities that are appropriate

I think the critical connection is a liaison from the school. One that is vested and has enough time to spend with a corps during their stay, one that will do a ‘walk through’ and sign the corps out when they leave. Sure, it puts a bit of the onus on the host but most would welcome the chance to do an inspection prior to a corps departure

I’d also think corps might want their advance team to take photos of anything questionable prior to move in, document everything. Could even do a before and after photo of the facilities but truthfully, it’s much easier to blame a long gone corps and the liaison would have to go to bat for them. I know some that have in the past

When I arrange for buildings to be rented after hours – I have to charge all sorts of security and facility fees. They are pre-determined and based hourly. I also have to show certificates of insurance with the renter listed as additional insured – not a big deal but the benefit is, upon rental, a formal contract is signed which outlines everyone’s duties and responsibilities

Saves a lot of ### for tat lawn mowing issues or surprised coming back to bite you later

also, I think DCI should really step in to Promote the activity to the hosts and the community – a little sales job to the locales about the feel-good nature of D/C can go a long way to smooth over a rough spot. I even know some show hosts that did that on their own media stuff specially as such

The future of touring: The Chinese Sleeper Bus

I've been to China the past four summers and I've seen these. Pretty awesome. I also toured a similar concept when I saw a bus touring Big Sur in California, except everyone had their own cubicle, and those were oriented in the other direction from the Chinese bus against one side, with the other side of the bus being the hallway.

This is like the bus I saw in California. Each little window is a separate cubicle.

mobile-motel-bus.jpg

Edited by Michael Boo

I had heard some gossip about corps X that they were "way too demanding" with a housing site. Yes, we all would like three full sized practice fields and use of the stadium (with lights), but corps in general realize that probably isn't going to happen. And they will make do with whatever they are given.

Of course, from the other side, as an intern that always arrived an hour or more before the full corps did and got the school set up so everyone else could just come in and sleep, one of our 'jobs' was to try to get as much as we could. Separate sleeping areas for different staff groups (drivers, tour mgmt\admin, instructional, volunteers), fields, icemakers, showers, internet access, etc. The more we could get access too, the better, and we pretty regularly were able to talk our way into more than we originally had. (obviously we knew there's a line between getting the most we can and being pushy\turning the off to the hosting thing)

Many times we got to a housing site and i dont think they really comprehended what was about to descend on their school in terms of vehicles, and number of people that were actually staying there.

Of course other times you get the dream housing sites. Access to a dozen fields, any classroom you can open the door to, directions to everywhere pre-prepared... I remember one in Ohio that had a full gift basket there for us and they were offering to drive us anywhere if we needed anything, or if we needed to pick anyone up from the airport.

I know ive gone a little offtopic, this thread just got me thinking of some housing stories. .

I've been to China the past four summers and I've seen these. Pretty awesome. I also toured a similar concept when I saw a bus touring Big Sur in California, except everyone had their own cubicle, and those were oriented in the other direction from the Chinese bus against one side, with the other side of the bus being the hallway.

This is like the bus I saw in California. Each little window is a separate cubicle.

mobile-motel-bus.jpg

Showers? Potty waiting lines? Oh well, that's drumcorps.

It is far more than a pain. Your ignorance and flippant attitude reflect poorly on your corps.

Nope, have not, not sure what it has to do with the fact that it's always been a pain in the ### for corps to find housing. It isn't a new phenomena.

It is far more than a pain. Your ignorance and flippant attitude reflect poorly on your corps.

No need to go too deep on this. I remember in 1991 my band director didn't like drum corps b/c he had students who did D/C and had a bad attitude about the school band. For some, providing housing may be a difficult one and for some it may be considered a typical part of the daily grind that is non-profit business. You have to know your communities' resources and sometimes people have negative experiences because their community cannot support the activities they like/love. Sometimes you have to think outside of the box and knowing the resources available can help with this. As already mentioned in the thread, developing a relationship with local colleges, universities, churches, YMCA's, armory's and county parks and recreation can provide multiple opportunities. Several have gyms, fields, and special rates for non-profits. Not an expert here, but no reason for negativity when the thread's potential value can provide brainstorming for solutions that may help rather than lashing out at two corps who have provided excellent examples to the activity.

Edited by wbargeron

Oh puhleeeese. Take your happy pill. Newbies :thumbup: