DCI 2009 Finals on Blu-Ray

Hi all,

My TV tells me that the Blu-ray discs are 480i. Is that

true (1080p would be fantastic), or have I unintentionally

something set on my system that prevents higher resolution?

I agree with others: sound is great and is set at pretty low

volume. The low sounds and synthesizers sound louder than

I would like.

You definitely have a setting askew. They are most certainly 1080.

The audio levels are set to allow the maximum dynamic range. In fact, I am mixing The Countdown right now and ran a quick analysis on the 2009 top 5 corps in that show. The loudest digital audio is -.10 below digital zero. It can't get any louder. I think we've all become used to the heavily processed "pop" mastering, where it's compressed to the point that the meters go up and never come down. Think of these as being mixed the same as classical music. Soft is, well, soft. This allows the maximum range for the truly loud. What's so great about the DTS is it's bandwidth can handle the insane dynamic range of drum corps. In most cases, if you flip between the Dolby and the DTS, the Dolby will seem louder, only because the "floor" of the dynamic range is compressed up (a little) by the Dolby technology itself. Dolby AC-3 is a compression format. If you have a display option on your player, turn it on and look at the data rate of one versus the other. It's a huge difference.

By the way, The Countdown will be all HD, with the exception of the historical corps in show. For all of you who don't have the gazillion-dollar Blu-ray HD video and audio systems, you can see what they're all talking about at your local theater. I really like how this year's show is turning out (if I may say that myself). I am finishing the mix today.

I am so glad you are all pleased with the Blu-ray. I am too!

Edited by TRBlair

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You definitely have a setting askew. They are most certainly 1080.

The audio levels are set to allow the maximum dynamic range. In fact, I am mixing The Countdown right now and ran a quick analysis on the 2009 top 5 corps in that show. The loudest digital audio is -.10 below digital zero. It can't get any louder. I think we've all become used to the heavily processed "pop" mastering, where it's compressed to the point that the meters go up and never come down. Think of these as being mixed the same as classical music. Soft is, well, soft. This allows the maximum range for the truly loud. What's so great about the DTS is it's bandwidth can handle the insane dynamic range of drum corps. In most cases, if you flip between the Dolby and the DTS, the Dolby will seem louder, only because the "floor" of the dynamic range is compressed up (a little) by the Dolby technology itself. Dolby AC-3 is a compression format. If you have a display option on your player, turn it on and look at the data rate of one versus the other. It's a huge difference.

By the way, The Countdown will be all HD, with the exception of the historical corps in show. For all of you who don't have the gazillion-dollar Blu-ray HD video and audio systems, you can see what they're all talking about at your local theater. I really like how this year's show is turning out (if I may say that myself). I am finishing the mix today.

I am so glad you are all pleased with the Blu-ray. I am too!

Tom,

Thanks for your reply. After fiddling with the settings, I've got it to do the right 1080p thing. Oh, what a difference that makes! I also think I fiddled with some settings to get DTS rather than Dolby. After listening to the last few minutes of SCV just now, it's great -- the range is, as you say, amazing. Now I have to watch through the discs again ... :-)

When the DVDs first came out in 2000, I thought that finally the recordings were doing justice to the sound. Now I think both the sound and video are up to the live experience (I never thought I'd say that, although maybe that has more to do with the less than optimal conditions in Lucas Oil ...). I hope that doesn't discourage people from attending shows live!

I think I speak for a lot of people who appreciate your hard work. People will be enjoying the fruits of your labor for many many many years.

I have the Blue Devils show on Blu-Ray with their Blue Smoke disc. How different, if at all, is the DCI version of this show on Blue-Ray? Also, is the camera angle selections the same as the DCI DVDs or different? If it is different, I'd be more inclined to buy it than if it is essentially the same (with respect to Blue Devils).

Cleaned up the thread a little. If you have questions about youtube videos and dci copyright, please see our Community Guidelines or see the following thread:

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...showtopic=99044

Thanks.

---------------------

On-topic: based on what everybody is saying, I think I'll be ordering these BR discs today or tomorrow. Can't wait to get them!

Can anyone tell me if the Blu-Rays are region specific?

i.e. will they work in Europe?

...The audio levels are set to allow the maximum dynamic range. In fact, I am mixing The Countdown right now and ran a quick analysis on the 2009 top 5 corps in that show. The loudest digital audio is -.10 below digital zero. It can't get any louder. I think we've all become used to the heavily processed "pop" mastering, where it's compressed to the point that the meters go up and never come down. Think of these as being mixed the same as classical music. Soft is, well, soft. This allows the maximum range for the truly loud...

Thank you Tom for doing the right thing (at least in my book) :tongue: .

Awesome job on the Blu-rays Tom, they are excellent! My home system sounds great, even at the volume taste we apparently share, 1 notch below blood from the ears ;)

Blu-ray discs have 3 potential region codes: A, B & C. The DCI BDs are open to all three. That means they will work in any NTSC region.

Thanks!

I understand the need to limit the camera angles and alternate audio options on this initial release, but if Blu-Ray takes of for DCI, will these features be available in future releases? Also is there any chance of getting previous years on Blu-Ray in the future or is the source material simply not available at any better resolution than what we have on the DVDs?