DCI 2009 Finals on Blu-Ray

The audio levels are set to allow the maximum dynamic range. In fact, I am mixing The Countdown right now and ran a quick analysis on the 2009 top 5 corps in that show. The loudest digital audio is -.10 below digital zero. It can't get any louder. I think we've all become used to the heavily processed "pop" mastering, where it's compressed to the point that the meters go up and never come down. Think of these as being mixed the same as classical music. Soft is, well, soft. This allows the maximum range for the truly loud.

Thank you, and may God bless you, my son, and spread your engineering gospel among all your heathen brethren who are sheep that have lost their way. May they repent of their sins and go forth and sin no more, for they maketh my ears bleed.

Edited by Peel Paint

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also is there any chance of getting previous years on Blu-Ray in the future or is the source material simply not available at any better resolution than what we have on the DVDs?

2009 is the first year in which finals were taped in true HD. Earlier years were taped for DVD and bringing out Blu-Ray editions would not make them look "Blu-Ray" as this year's look.

Thanks so much Tom! You've finally done it, what so many people before you were trying to do... Accurately capture the sound of DCI!!!

I can't even begin to explain how much of a difference the DTS-HD mode makes for even the lay person. My fellow tech geek here at home came over yesterday and I showed him the staggering difference in sound from the Dolby Digital audio setting to the DTS-HD. He was flabbergasted and he knows the spec difference. He just hadn't heard it used in a medium that could take advantage of it 'fully'.

Now he's begging me to see DCI live! Love it.

Big ups Tom and the team for the best disc ever!

The audio levels are set to allow the maximum dynamic range. In fact, I am mixing The Countdown right now and ran a quick analysis on the 2009 top 5 corps in that show. The loudest digital audio is -.10 below digital zero. It can't get any louder. I think we've all become used to the heavily processed "pop" mastering, where it's compressed to the point that the meters go up and never come down. Think of these as being mixed the same as classical music. Soft is, well, soft. This allows the maximum range for the truly loud.

Very nice to know that there will be that "must have" loud theater sound at the Countdown event this year. Looking forward to be able to "hear" the best theater experience possible. Great news. Thank you for your work on this. Looking forward to getting the Blu Ray as well.

Edited by Dmlkmen

Maybe the Legacy dvds will never look better, but I am convinced they could sound better. For one, Tom Blair stated that the 1985 to 1999 dvds used the live tape or broadcast feed for the audio source. There is a huge difference in sound when listening to say a 1986 cd VS the 1986 dvd. (Plus, there are some glitches in sound from aged feeds) Also, isn't the audio still compresed on standard dvds?

Also, isn't the audio still compresed on standard dvds?

There are two types of compression. One refers to the data rate/size and the other refers to the dynamic range of the program material. Yes, all commercial DVD's use compressed audio in the form of either Dolby Digital or DTS in order to physically fit on the disc. However dynamic compression is used during the mix and is unrelated to data compression. The Blue Ray discs that Tom mixed (correct me if I'm wrong) uses data rate compression but no (or very little) dynamic compression.

** NOTE **

DO NOT take this as any kind of whining/complaining, etc.

This is an awesome thing, and I truly wish that the price was more reasonable (in regards to the average Blu-ray) so that I can experience this. I understand, however, the price point and I'm just truly excited that DCI is already producing Blu-ray discs! The fact that they exist at all is awesome, and I'm glad others can enjoy high def. drum and bugle corps!!

Kudos DCI and Mr. Blair for taking our home viewing experience to the next level!! :thumbup::ph34r: :ph34r:

Call me an idiot, I don't care, but can you play Blue ray disks inside a laptop computer?

Yes, but just like you need a DVD drive to play a DVD on your computer, you also need a Blu Ray drive to play Blu Rays on your computer.

Internal and external blu ray drives are getting cheaper...