1954 Middletown, PA Senior Show

Will add the rules when I get more time to type.....

Edit: columns did NOT turn out right - trying to make more readable

Order is

1) Position drawn (n)

2) Score #nn.n

3) Final Position based on score *n

4) corps/sponsor

(1) #82.4 *4 White Roses - York, PA/York Post #127 AL

(2) #88.7 *1 Westshoremen - Wormleysburg, PA/Wormleysburg, Post #1462 VFW

(3) #78.1 *6 Bairs - Hanover, PA/Harold Blair Post #14 AL

(4) #88.6 *2 Kenwood Cavaliers - Baltimore, MD/Henry Gunther Post VFW

(5) #81.3 *5 Bonny Scots - Millersburg, PA/Millersburg Post #326 AL

(6) #75.8 *7 Privateers - Harrisburg, PA/Earl E Aurand Post #1086 VFW

(7) #83.8 *3 Chocolatiers - Hershey, PA/Hershey Post #386 AL

Notes:

1) Privateers received 5 pt penalty for having 5 Hershey members

- hand written note

2) Hanover should be Bair Post (no 'l')

- have seen this typo before in an early score

3) yeah "Bonnie Scots" not "Bonny Scots"

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Hey! We was robbed! We didn't get a good score 'cause we had to go on first! We protest!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Hey, Jim, thanks for sharing this little bit of history, even if the scores didn't turn out the way I'd have liked -- and I wasn't even there. Matter of fact, I didn't even know what a drum corps was until about 3 or 4 years later. There must have been some fun competition among all these corps - all from within less than a 100 mile radius. I know some of them also competed relatively successfully against the "big boys" of the day, too. I remember that there was also a corps from Taneytown, MD; they stayed active as a parade corps (don't know if they did field competitions) through about 63 or 64. Do you know if Yankee Rebels were active at this time?

Steve

ps: I hear the Lancers had a great practice on Sunday with their new piece, "Men of Harlech."

Hi Steve,

Have found other ealy 1950s scores from the Lancers 75th Anniversary book and pretty sure I saw the Yankee-Rebels listed in competitions. The Kenwood Cavaliers I never have heard of but the Aurand VFW Post in Harrisburg was closed in the 60s or 70s. The other corps I have various "knowledge" of. :thumbup:

And practice was great even if we had to be in the chapel of a local church as Pershing Hall was being working on. Between being in the chapel for 3 hours, the Forum the night before and my allergies I figure I should have the upper range of my hearing back by another day or two.

PS - this info was found on the "picture table" at the Westshoremen exhibit over the weekend. Appears to have been xeroxed off the show program. Saw the scores sticking out in a pile and luckily I then noticed the rules underneath.

Thanks, Jeff. As a former W-BS (your dad's era), I also enjoyed your photos of the exhibit.

SKY

thanks. I grew up around that corps, so to me, it's family/home

Thanks, Jeff. As a former W-BS (your dad's era), I also enjoyed your photos of the exhibit.

SKY

And to me it's funny as Hell when you talk to one of 70s members like you marched with them Have to keep reminding myself you weren't even a teenager back then and were hanging around the parking lot. Of course they talk to you like you marched back then too. ie - the talk you had with Bruce Bolich Saturday in the "Westshore Room"

Kinda like when ya get old enough to start calling the older relatives by their first names and correct when they are wrong on old facts. :thumbup:

PS - My wife got your Facebook invite for next year.... :thumbup::thumbup:

And to me it's funny as Hell when you talk to one of 70s members like you marched with them Have to keep reminding myself you weren't even a teenager back then and were hanging around the parking lot. Of course they talk to you like you marched back then too. ie - the talk you had with Bruce Bolich Saturday in the "Westshore Room"

Kinda like when ya get old enough to start calling the older relatives by their first names and correct when they are wrong on old facts. :tongue:

PS - My wife got your Facebook invite for next year.... :blink::tongue:

hey jim i just noticed you changed your DCP id. i like the change :worthy:

Kinda like when ya get old enough to start calling the older relatives by their first names and correct when they are wrong on old facts. :tongue:

PS - My wife got your Facebook invite for next year.... :tongue::blink:

I love how I can tell the New Orleans stories better than people who were there