Will this bring DCI back to Orlando?

well..its apparent that you've got some personal interest in Orlando. Good for you...

Not good for drum corps as a whole.... The impression I understood from the get go on this

topic was for a championship being held there.... For that reason, I STILL stand on my ground..

Now, if you want a regional... fine.. have one.. Im sure that there'll be a few Div 2 and 3 corps

that would like to play in a big stadium like the Citrus Bowl.. BUT for a DCI FINAL......

NO WAY ..... NO HOW !!!!!

have a good day

Never once was I referring to there being a championship held in Orlando. I just want there to be a show in Florida... at all.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One year when I was teaching the southern leg of the tour went through Florida. We were in Ft. Lauderdale and one afternoon the temperature got up around 112o or something like that. We told the kids to stay inside and work on their dot books.

Fred O.

Well, given that the record high temperature for Florida was 109F, set in Montecello on June 29, 1931, and Ft. Lauderdale's record summer high temperature was 99F (set several times in July of multiple years), your assertion is pretty much bunk :)

Florida's average summer temperatures are not nearly as high as folks seem to think they are.

Edited by Kamarag

Well, given that the record high temperature for Florida was 109F, set in Montecello on June 29, 1931, and Ft. Lauderdale's record summer high temperature was 99F (set several times in July of multiple years), your assertion is pretty much bunk :)

Florida's average summer temperatures are not nearly as high as folks seem to think they are.

Thanks for the statistical fyi; I stand enlightened. But the thermometer notwithstanding, it got pretty hot that summer. The director was one of those jump-and-die guys who would have rehearsed in the fires of Hades. It had to have been pretty brutal for him to send the kids inside.

peace,

Fred O.

Edited by drumno5

The only part of the Orlando show I remember enjoying was the kettle corn. :tongue:

Were the corps not entertaining?

Edited by wbargeron

It's not the Florida heat that is the main weather concern. I lived in central Florida for 10 years. Heat is no biggie.

The big weather bugaboo with Florida is the 1 1/2 hour rain/thunderstorm that WILL happen at about 2:30 every single afternoon. And in some cases, probably once or twice a week, that rain lingers on into the evening. Hence the 2009 Orlando show.

Add in housing problems, lack of decent rehearsal fields, and a poopy venue and you understand why the Cadets look like geniuses for NOT wasting 8 hours worth of gas and 2 days of rehearsal time to play a standstill to a half empty stadium in the rain.

It's not the Florida heat that is the main weather concern. I lived in central Florida for 10 years. Heat is no biggie.

The big weather bugaboo with Florida is the 1 1/2 hour rain/thunderstorm that WILL happen at about 2:30 every single afternoon. And in some cases, probably once or twice a week, that rain lingers on into the evening. Hence the 2009 Orlando show.

Add in housing problems, lack of decent rehearsal fields, and a poopy venue and you understand why the Cadets look like geniuses for NOT wasting 8 hours worth of gas and 2 days of rehearsal time to play a standstill to a half empty stadium in the rain.

Sun Devils rehearse in Florida all Summer!

Seeing as DCI Finals is in Indiana for 10 years, a regional would be nice.

Plenty of fans to support a show. Drum Corps IS for the fans.

If coming to Central Florida is a problem for 1 show.....lets make it 2.

North Florida or Valdosta on the way out or in.

John Hoekstra

Florida would be nice for a drum corps 'spring season'. Then get outta dodge for the summer.

It'd be a natural for DCA. Have a few shows down that way in April-May, catch a few Grapefruit League games, maybe catch Bike Week in Daytona, see the Masters on the way back up the coast, ....oh wait....only good times if you don't have to hold down a J-O-B.

How about going back to LSU in Baton Rouge? :smile:

But if you want a more realistic option, Guidry Stadium in Thibodaux (just a few bayous south of N'awlins) might do:

3718287352_22f2b9eb00.jpg

LSU. :worthy: What ever happened to Red Stick Thunder in Tiger Stadium? That was a pretty good show in one of the best stadiums in the country.

Drum Corps in Thibodaux La. :tongue: