Has the view of 'Senior' Corps changed lately in DCI?

Actually, it pretty much boils down to "time".

Kind of silly to argue about which circuit has the better "talent" (members or staff), when so many of the same people do both over the years. Even the money is a consequence of the "time" factor....junior corps would not mobilize an army of fundraisers if they didn't need the money to pay for the touring (which is where all that additional time together takes place).

Consider this...an individual playing 3rd soprano with Cadets, would likely blow away most of the lead players in ANY given DCA corps, with a few exceptions of course. Not to mention being able to march rings around his DCA counterpart. DCI has the better talent, which is taking absolutely nothing away from the fine members of the DCA circuit.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Consider this...an individual playing 3rd soprano with Cadets, would likely blow away most of the lead players in ANY given DCA corps, with a few exceptions of course. Not to mention being able to march rings around his DCA counterpart. DCI has the better talent, which is taking absolutely nothing away from the fine members of the DCA circuit.

I did " consider this ".

I' " consider this " comment of yours to be found in the realm of what we would call...." The Obvious ".

It's like saying the Grambling College Marching Band has a soprano trumpet section thhat can dance better than the Cadets or Crown soprano trumpet section can dance.

Well..... ya. So what ?

Edited by BRASSO

[edit: nevermind. It's not worth it.] Edited by skajerk

If you march a Jr. Corps, there's a 90% or more probability that you're going to tour and compete with DCI.

If you march an all age corps, there's a 10% or less chance that you'll have anything to do with DCA competitively. And you may not konw your competitive status until the seaons is past halfway over.

DCA was a family reunion of sorts. But now that less than 10% of the family is invited on any given year..... (MCA, SDCA, Arena Corps, Shriners, parade corps, .....)

Apples and Oranges and Prunes too.

To say DCI has more Talent than DCA is an insult for sure. The difference in the amount of rehearsal time alone between the two is just staggering in scope (if you've done both, then you know what i mean). To compare DCI and DCA is just wrong on so many levels.

Growing up in Monmouth County, New Jersey I think we had an advantage many do not get. ( Or was it a curse )

Being in Central NJ made us make more decisions on what to "Like" or things to be "FOR". Most in North Jersey considered us South Jersey. Most in South Jersey considered us North Jersey. Being almost equal distance between New York City and Phillie caused problems even in the family with which Sports teams to follow.

So also in Drum Corps. I chose to be a Blessed Sacrament fan. St. Vinnie's, and Garfield (Great as they were) just did not get me. Just knew if I ever got good enough that (BSGK) was the Corps I wanted to join. But, buy time I was ready. Vinnie's was gone, and St. Lucy's was the new third power in the state. I liked what they (Lucy's) were doing and that is who I joined.

Then even though, my local Corps (my formative years, pre Lucy's) were taught by mostly Cab's people. I still became a NYC Skyliner fan, follower. From the first time I saw them.(Preview of Champions at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City 1962). Then I became a member of Sky. BUT, in my heart there was, and is, always will be a spot for Cabs also.

So, anyway. Although I do NOT like most of what DCI is. I know the Quality and Excellence is beyond what anyone could expect for a "Field Music and Marching" group. Just not what I want.

Then with DCA it seems I can get a GOOD variety. Some are very DCI in style and sound. Some still have a lot more of the Old Style. The Buc's, Bush. etc more DCI. The Empire Statesmen, Renegades more of a combo of the "Old", done a "New" way. BUT ALL Styles, from the top 10, to the lowest.

So why I like Giant's and Yankee's and my older brother likes Jet's and Mets.

Why I like American Col. & Pro Football, But don't like Soccer at any level.

OR

Why I like Empire, Renegade, and Kilts. Yet, not like Buc's, and Bush.

Why I like Phantom Regiment, but not almost any other DCI Corps.

I Just, Do Not Know. It kind of just happened that way.

I do KNOW. You should go see and hear (maybe even do) things first hand. Before making an Opinion as to what is "BEST for YOU".

Edited by OldStyleCorps

Consider this...an individual playing 3rd soprano with Cadets, would likely blow away most of the lead players in ANY given DCA corps, with a few exceptions of course.

In what sense would the Cadet 3rd trumpet (they don't have sopranos, you know) "blow away" the DCA lead sop? Not that it would matter, anyway. Frankly, I would expect to find that the typical 3rd trumpet earns their spot not by "blowing away" anybody, but rather by playing clean, marching clean, and demonstrating work ethic and ability to learn.

Not to mention being able to march rings around his DCA counterpart.

His DCA counterpart, in some cases, is his DCI counterpart one season earlier/later. What differentiates that (same) person's marching ability in DCI vs. DCA is the 16 hours a day/7 days a week/11 straight weeks of training.

Kind of silly to argue about which circuit has the better "talent" (members or staff), when so many of the same people do both over the years.

the argument isn't which circuit has "better" talent - it's just that dci corps generally have the luxury of choosing the best people, whereas dca corps generally are in a position where if someone wants to march, they can so long as they pay their dues.

also, a lot of the selection process in dci has to do with physical condition. dci corps will take the strongest individuals, and simply turn away those who aren't up to snuff.

To say DCI has more Talent than DCA is an insult for sure. The difference in the amount of rehearsal time alone between the two is just staggering in scope (if you've done both, then you know what i mean). To compare DCI and DCA is just wrong on so many levels.
I play saxophone. And to say that David Sanborn has more talent than me is not any kind of insult...it is simply the truth. No amount of practice time will change this, no matter how staggering. And you are absolutely correct...to compare DCA to DCI is wrong. DCA is a fine experience...one that I thoroughly enjoyed for six seasons. I have seen folks join a DCA corps where it was the first time they have ever picked up a brass instrument. When they blew air in one end, the only thing that came out of the other end was spit...IF they were lucky. But they were accepted and they learned. Try doing the same thing in a World Class DCI corps and see what happens. But every year, including the 4 championships of which I was a part, the inevitable question arises...What if we were to enter DCI?...Would we make finals? And the answer is inevitably...of course not. The DCA show itself...even last years Bucs, would simply not hold up to the juniors and no amount of practice time will change this. The real question, and the purpose of this thread is...has the perception of DCA changed, and would a World Class age out or someone who has been cut, consider participating. I think it would be THEIR loss if they did not. Edited by VOReason

DCA was a family reunion of sorts. But now that less than 10% of the family is invited on any given year..... (MCA, SDCA, Arena Corps, Shriners, parade corps, .....)

First of all, the DCA title show has NEVER been an "invitational"....nor has the DCI title show.

Second, parade corps have never competed at the DCA Championship... and by "championship" I mean Prelims and Finals. Nor have Shriners corps competed, nor have any other corps that are not summer-season field competition corps.

So, IMO, your implied argument that somehow, only in recent years, DCA has become less inclusive (most likely, I'm guessing, because of your opinion of the perceived impact of the "mimimum size" rule) doesn't hold water.

If you count summer-season field competition corps only.... in other words, the corps that could be reasonably expected to take part in DCA Prelims and/or Finals..... that I'm pretty sure it would be safe to say that the majority of all-age corps are represented at the DCA Championship.

I've been involved with the DCA title show since the 1970s, as either a fan, marching member, or show staff member.... and there were many years when I could only dream of the day when I saw 20 or more corps at DCA Prelims on a consistent basis, as has happened since 2005.

Plus, one could make a case that since the inception of the DCA I&E and mini-corps shows, DCA has become more inclusive than it ever was at any time in previous years. A "parade corps" can enter the mini-corps show, if they so choose. A member, or members, of a parade corps or alumni corps can enter the I&E show, if they so choose... and are welcomed with open arms.

Shadow, if I wasn't convinced before, I am now.... there is absolutely NOTHING that DCA could ever do to satisfy you, on any level, ever.

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring