Did You March DCA...

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you'll find that most people in DCA did not march DCI. For a while Bush had quite a run of former DCI folks, and I suspect Brigs had their share during their dynasty.

Sun had some - I mean everyone had some.

One of the world's great experiences used to be for kids to finish tour and fill out the one or two spots per DCA corps that were still open.

I actually aged out the year DCI was formed, but I was about 14,000 miles away which made commuting for camps impracticle and the stupid military wouldn't let me leave to do tour.

They can be so unreasonable, especially during a war, or even a simple police action.

I marched in a local-circuit junior corps during the first years of the DCI era, but we never competed at a DCI-run event (championship, regional, etc.). Then it was on to DCA with the Sunrisers.

Fran

I did the the same thing as you Fran. Marched a local jr corps in 1979 but the rest of my time was in DCA with the Westshoremen. I wanted to march in the Crossmen in 1978 and 1979 but was unable to due to money issues. I have no regrets marching in DCA.

Interesting thread considering my situation. This would have been my age out year, after a long time to think about it I decided to stay with the corps and the people that introduced me to drum corps. Its fun to march in a corps where I feel my talent (I say i dont have any but others disagree :tongue: ) will be used to benefit others the most. I hold no regrets, maybe I will one day, but for now its back to practicing! (picks up pad and sticks) :blink:

Mark, you need to be where you're happy, and where you feel you have a place- a comfort zone. Years later, that's what will matter to you most when you look back on it.

When I came back to Alumni Corps over 20 years later it felt like they had a spot right where I used to have that spot and were waiting for me to get my can back in it. It was a great feeling. It does make a difference.

There are some people out there who may have snagged a ring or placed really high at Finals, but I've heard the stories where they weren't happy, they really didn't fit in well, or had a pretty miserable experience. No need to be that person, ever.

Parade/Standstill Corps for many years - then on to the Caballeros, went undefeated my first year too :)

there was no DCI when i started. never marched in jr corps either. started with cru and stayed there. i did march an exhibition in racine in 1972 at the first DCI championships.......but that dosen't count.

Yes you did!

And then I promptly retired at the age of 19 and now am happy being in the pressbox for DCA (and on DCP of course :tongue: )

My first year was after 1 knee surgery and my 2nd year was after a year off and another knee surgery and major bone/reinforcement surgery on my foot. I would think most anyone would find a good, supportive environment no matter their years off, physical issues, instrumental background in DCA if they show the commitment