Did You March DCA...

DCI did not exist when I marched in Junior corps (1958-1964). Then after a 41 year hiatus I am now marching in DCA.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DCI did not exist when I marched in Junior corps (1958-1964). Then after a 41 year hiatus I am now marching in DCA.

Marched Jr. Corps 1966-1981...VFW/Am. Legion, DCI Open Class and World Class. 3 Finals...79,80,81.

Taught Jr corps till 96. Then All-Age Corps and Jr Corps from 96 till present day.

John Hoekstra

Executive Director

Florida Sun Devils

Late to this thread as I was late to drum corps. I saw my first contest in 1961 at the ripe old age of 21.

Join a parade corps in July from Floral Park, LI. From there to the Wanderers of New Rochelle, NY.in 1963.

Went back in '66 after two years in the Army. In '67 I joined the Sunrisers. I mssed the whole 50's scene.

Like the VFW Nationals in Ebbets Field in'56.

This is kind of a follow-up to Kyle's thread in the DCI section. How many of you marched DCA without ever marching in DCI? I missed my window to march in junior corps. Now, as an adult looking around for activities and organizations to be a part of, I can't help but think joining a senior corps would be a perfect way to stay busy, play some trumpet, and meet people who share a passion of mine. It'd be nice if there was one in my area, so I could check them out.

How common is it for someone to march DCA without marching DCI first? Would I meet many others like me, or are most people veterans of junior corps?

I marched and played in various senior corps (field corps and alumni corps - see signature) from 1966 through 2003 and never played with a junior corps.

This is kind of a follow-up to Kyle's thread in the DCI section. How many of you marched DCA without ever marching in DCI? I missed my window to march in junior corps. Now, as an adult looking around for activities and organizations to be a part of, I can't help but think joining a senior corps would be a perfect way to stay busy, play some trumpet, and meet people who share a passion of mine. It'd be nice if there was one in my area, so I could check them out.

How common is it for someone to march DCA without marching DCI first? Would I meet many others like me, or are most people veterans of junior corps?

Yep, sort of. I did march some junior, but not at the DCI level. Marched some small local corps as a junior in the pre-DCI days, got out of the activity while in college, returned and taught junior (both locally and on the tour). Got in on the ground floor with the fledgling Bushwackers and taught/marched DCA for 5 years before hanging up my shoes and retiring to the instructional ranks.

Fred O.

I was a late starter too, as I was 24 the first year I marched. I would work summers while I was in college, touring wouldn't have worked for me. I didn't know about the sponsorship thing or that some of the corps went on limited tours then. I wish I had marched juniors at least one year. Still, better late than never, I had a great time the three years I marched DCA. It was still a challenge, I would go home exhausted after some of those summer practices. It was just great to go out there and compete. I hope to go back sometime soon.

I'm on my third year with Empire, and I'm 15.

That should tell you something!

Sounds like another DCA "lifer" in the making. I started marching rifle/sabre in the local parade corps honor guards around the 1990/91 parade seasons. I was about 7 or 8 years old at the time. Then I started marching A-squad with the Chieftains from Allentown and made the transition to the front ensemble with their field corps in 1996. I move to the battery (and eventually into the hornline) and marched with various senior corps in NY, NJ, PA & VA over the better part of the next two decades. Around 2000, I was poised to march the season with the Bluecoats, but couldn't make the commitment due to school and work responsibilities. So I stayed on the all-age side of the activity my entire career and although I sometimes wish I had gotten the full junior corps experience, I have enough great memories from my drum corps career to satisfy me.