Did You March DCA...

Marched Jr. Corps 1966-1981...VFW/Am. Legion, DCI Open Class and World Class. 3 Finals...79,80,81.

Taught Jr corps till 96. Then All-Age Corps and Jr Corps from 96 till present day.

John Hoekstra

Executive Director

Florida Sun Devils

15 years in junior corps?,............that's gotta be a record!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

or marched overaged.... as a junior

Ron Allard only had a few years in St. Joe's but he'd already had a VERY long career in senior corps before doing that... lol

sounds likely to me, but that's about the age I started

I was 7 when I started so it doesn't seem all that unlikely to me. Were you the product of drum corps lineage? That would explain a lot.

yes, of course...

Father and mother both loved drum corps (from the 40's) and followed the Brigadiers... Mom used to say I went to my first drum corps show in her belly.... Dad carried a rifle in the VFW color party in front of the corps and got older brother Ed into his VFW Post 2320 drum corps very early in the 50's and of course I tagged along... while I learned on sop, they quickly realized I was going to be a big kid (understatement) and said "you know, you can carry this" and gave me a French Horn.

both my older brother and younger brother marched with me often - ironically, (because Ed was 4 years older and chuck 8 years younger) the only time we three marched together was the first performance of the Brigadier's Alumni...

Both my daughters marched Patriots for years and both taught color guard... My older daughter is married to Ted Mascari, percussion arranger/caption head (whatever he's called these days) for Empire Statesmen. Sara is quite a good equipment arranger (ESM winter guard & brigadiers) but both her and her sister are busy raising my grandchildren.

When I was director of Cru, I had brother Chuck playing lead, Daughters Sara and Sue in the guard, future son in law John working the equipment truck and future son in law Ted on percussion... and hornorable mention to Chuck's wife Kim (Uderitz) Peashey (yes don's daughter) who helped with anything she was asked to help with.

Drum Corps for me, has - indeed - been a family adventure... Some might be surprised to learn that I do have a son, Dan who never had any interest in drum corps.

In 1962 as my mom lay dieing in her hospital bed (I was only 15) we had been standing watch at the hospital and come Sunday morning, Mom said "don't you have rehearsal today" - of course I did - "Get your ### to rehearsal. That's where you belong." I went and a few hours later, my older brother and his wife walked into rehearsal and I knew right away she had taken a turn for the worse. She died that night. The last thing she ever said to me was "Get your ### to rehearsal. That's where you belong."... kind of gave that extra importance to me for the rest of my life.

In 1962 as my mom lay dieing in her hospital bed (I was only 15) we had been standing watch at the hospital and come Sunday morning, Mom said "don't you have rehearsal today" - of course I did - "Get your ### to rehearsal. That's where you belong." I went and a few hours later, my older brother and his wife walked into rehearsal and I knew right away she had taken a turn for the worse. She died that night. The last thing she ever said to me was "Get your ### to rehearsal. That's where you belong."... kind of gave that extra importance to me for the rest of my life.

that is a beautiful story Tom,............

5 seasons marching in a local Jr Corps, 1 season in a National Jr Corps before moving to Sr Corps. 4 seasons with an RCA Corps and 12 seasons with two DCA Corps....

I to never marched DCI.... I left Jr Corps (at 16yrs old) in 1970, before DCI started in 1972.

Since my "return" to the activity (around Dec 04/Jan 05) I'm happy to be a fan and enjoy seeing (and hearing) so many friends that are still competing and performing in the activity. :thumbup:

I've had a blast marching, met the love of my life and marched with her for 13 seasons. (Next year will be our 40th anniversary)

No regrets all around! :ph34r:

I did 14 years in junior corps (1958-72) starting at 6 years old followed by 28 years in DCA

This is kind of a follow-up to Kyle's thread in the DCI section. How many of you marched DCA without ever marching in DCI? I missed my window to march in junior corps. Now, as an adult looking around for activities and organizations to be a part of, I can't help but think joining a senior corps would be a perfect way to stay busy, play some trumpet, and meet people who share a passion of mine. It'd be nice if there was one in my area, so I could check them out.

How common is it for someone to march DCA without marching DCI first? Would I meet many others like me, or are most people veterans of junior corps?

I did not march in any junior corps before (Or after) I marched with a DCA corps.