Did You March DCA...

My last 3 years of competition were a little unusual. Senior corps first then a DCI junior corps.

1975 Blessed Sacrament Senior Corps which disbanded after Rochester, NY DCA

1976 Hawthorne Caballaros we won the Dream and DCA

1977 Blue Stars won VFW Nationals ( no, I was not overage )

And for the youngsters, Blessed Sac used to be a Jr corps.

Weird year as Blue Rock (another former Jr corps) also competed as a Sr corps for that one year only.

Guess competing against both was as close as I got to Jr corps. :thumbup: (But I did turn 18 that summer)

Edited by JimF-LowBari

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And for the youngsters, Blessed Sac used to be a Jr corps.

I never knew that. Heck ~ up until I got involved with Bayonne I always thought they were just a really great winterguard from the Boston area.

I never knew that. Heck ~ up until I got involved with Bayonne I always thought they were just a really great winterguard from the Boston area.

Another "Wait a minute story" when people are trying to find trends in Drum Corps after one or two years. Blessed Sac and Blue Rock both folded as Jr corps in the early 70s. Then in 1975 both show up as Sr corps, Interstatesmen Sr corps re-appear after a few years off (at least they had the same name) and this brand new corps Rochester Phoenix pops up and hits top 5 DCA their first year. DCA looks to be going so well that old Jr corps are appearing at DCA shows. WOW!!! I-men are back in DCA WOW!!! Phoenix Top 5 Holy ####!!!

Start of 1976 - no Blue Rock and no Blessed Sac. :thumbup:

End of 1976 - no more Phoenix :tongue:

Around 1977/1978 (lost track) - no more I-men not even sure if they did any more DCA shows after 1975 (have to check Glens old scores) :tongue:

IOW so much for that big growth in the DCA world. :ph34r:

1977 Blue Stars won VFW Nationals

And made DCI Finals.... Blue Stars had a terrific show that year!

Fran

Matt S. I live in Indy marching with Cincinnati Tradition this year. Lots of good things happening down there only a two hour drive.

It sounds like we've already met, in Castleton after the Countdown tonight. I didn't see your posts until now. Tradition sounds like a great opportunity, and it's a name I hadn't much heard of before. I don't have the chops to offer much for 2010 - I'm several years out of practice at this point - but I'll be sure to take a look come 2011.

I marched with Bayou City Blues (Sr.) from 94-99 (which would have been my age-out year). I auditioned for the Cavaliers in 95, but couldn't march due to financial reasons. I would have enjoyed it, I'm sure, but I do not regret doing DCA instead.

I loved it so much that when I had an opportunity to march again, I competed with the Gulf Coast Sound from Houston in 2006-2009.

You can't go wrong marching in DCA if you have a passion for the activity. Hope you enjoy your experience as much as I did!

• 1 month later...
I marched in a local-circuit junior corps during the first years of the DCI era, but we never competed at a DCI-run event (championship, regional, etc.). Then it was on to DCA with the Sunrisers.

Fran

Fran, I remember Sacred Heart (Manville, right?) I was with The Buccaneers from Union Beach from @62 to 67. You guys always kicked our butts. Those were good days.

Just joined the Florida Brass in Lakeland, FL. after 40+ years and am having a ball.

Fran, I remember Sacred Heart (Manville, right?) I was with The Buccaneers from Union Beach from @62 to 67. You guys always kicked our butts.

Sacred Heart had a pretty decent local corps at various times in those days....... not so good my last two years there (1975 and 1976). We were God-awful those two years. :tongue:

DCA only and I waited until I was in my 40's to start marching again . I hadn't marched since high school! Great place to make friends, get a little exercise and blow your chops off!