Did You March DCA...

I started at Chops when I was 17 years old and never marched DCI... I waited until my ageout year because of money, but then had to choose between junior corps or a trip to China. I have no regrets, but often wonder....

I did march my rookout season in a WGI drumline.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

i never marched DCI as well.. did high school stuff.. and then the year i graduated i wanted to join SCV.. but ended up not able to because i was leaving that summer for the military.

missed my window when i came back.. and found myself with a horn in my hand again and marched in DCA last year and yet again this year.

I'm marching my 3rd year of Minnesota Brass at age 17 this year, so I can't count DCI out, but it's expensive and much more time consuming than what I'm able to do with MBI right now.

Interesting topic...

When I first learned about drum corps, I was well of age for DCI, (13-14) but there really weren't any junior corps around. The first one I ever heard about was the first one I joined in the fall of 1978 which was the Hershey Chocolatiers, basically a parade corps, but had some field aspirations after apparently being a local power way back. My take 30+ years later was it was mainly a corps for retired corps personnel to keep playing and having that camaraderie that is inherent of being in corps. Bursting their bubble were the "under 30's" who wanted to go field competitive. It probably was what folded the corps a few years later, but....

Finding out that there WAS a competitive junior corps around namely the Black Diamond Regiment (who was formerly the Belvederes, then later Pioneer Scout) BDR was a pretty small corps, I remember seeing them at DCI East in 1978, and after seeing the bigger corps, decided that DCA would be the way to go, and I joined the Westshoremen, and stayed there for five and a half years, then joined the Reading Buccaneers for two and a half years. During this time, I pondered joining a DCI corps, but never really pursued it, in fact I had offers to try out for Crossmen and Cadets, but never went for it... yeah I regret it!

The closest I got to junior corps was when an instructor I worked with teaching bands wanted to put together a junior corps in the Harrisburg, PA area called Northwind, We never got out of the practice facilities after two years, considered turning senior to generate more interest but it never got off the ground. I figured by now we'd have won DCI once or twice if it HAD flown! :laughing:

Too busy with the HS band thing (won BOA in 1980) and then had to work for $$ for college so couldn't do DCI corps. Always wanted to be in the Scouts; funny, now I'm surrounded by/related to some of those guys.

So, it all worked out in the end. And being involved for 9 years with Kilties would beat the heck out of the short-term experience most kids have with DCI.

The closest I got to junior corps was when an instructor I worked with teaching bands wanted to put together a junior corps in the Harrisburg, PA area called Northwind, We never got out of the practice facilities after two years, considered turning senior to generate more interest but it never got off the ground. I figured by now we'd have won DCI once or twice if it HAD flown! :thumbup:

We'll have to talk about that one Ben. Around 1980, think Holy Name of Jesus wanted to start up a corps. Only heard about it because my mom saw a blurb in a local rag (Paxton Herald :laughing: ). Never heard a peep about it since and think I saw it in a "Not sure if this corps ever existed" line up in History of Drum Corps.

Yeah Central PA was a real waste land as far as Jr corps was concerned. Crossmen in the east, Schuykill Haven ??? (name kept changing) in the north and Cambria Cadets (look it up) few hours west in Ebensburg. What the hell would have been the nearest southern corps? LOL, had a choice of at least 6 Sr corps within that driving time.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I would have marched with the Skyriders in 1992, but I had to have elbow surgery... and I would have marched with the Cavaliers in 1994, but they cut me... hahaha

No DCI for me. Started with Bucs Alumni fall of 95. Shortly after I joined Bucs competing corps. for the 1996 season. I was 13. We were very small, but made our way back in the top 10 at finals playing a John Williams show. If anyone recalls, the Bucs were all but dead in 96. Marched with them through the 2001 season. I got to be a part of the "rebuilding years" of the Bucs we know today. I took a few years off, about 8. You know, moved to Jersey, got married, had three kids. The whole 'life' thing. Last year, I rejoined the Alumni and am loving it. I would love to go back someday. Maybe when the kids are older. I would have never been able to pay for DCI back then. DCA gave me the great drum corps experience, without the hit to the wallet. If you can do it, DO IT!!!! You wont regret it.