Did You March DCA...

*raises hand* :p

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

or marched overaged.... as a junior

Ron Allard only had a few years in St. Joe's but he'd already had a VERY long career in senior corps before doing that... lol

sounds likely to me, but that's about the age I started

Or did a cadet/feeder corps back when they were still around.

Been with the Hawthorne Caballeros for the entire run of my drum corps life. I had an opportunity to switch to juniors in 2002, but I chose to stay with my family and friends. Plus, my decision allowed me to finish college and build a solid foundation in the career I've been in for over 8 years now. All in all, for me personally, it was the best decision.

DCA at age 19,20 and 21..the prime DCI years to march. Never regretted it. I had a job, commuted to college and did drum corps on the weekend. Back then the season was Memorial Day to Labor Day. Prelims and Finals the same day! There was NO DUES back then either..I actually SAVED money during the summer because I hardly spent any on the weekends since I was on a football field all day.

DCA only for me too. Never got the opportunity to march juniors but I wanted to try out for Guardsmen in '77. In fact, I didn't even know that Senior Corps existed until someone handed me a flyer at a DCI show talking about starting a Senior Corps in the Nashville area. Thus I became a Charter Member of MCL and the rest (for me) is history.

DCA at age 19,20 and 21..the prime DCI years to march. Never regretted it. I had a job, commuted to college and did drum corps on the weekend. Back then the season was Memorial Day to Labor Day. Prelims and Finals the same day! There was NO DUES back then either..I actually SAVED money during the summer because I hardly spent any on the weekends since I was on a football field all day.

:laughing:

Yeah, unless I forgot how to count, that would mean he started when he was no older than 6 years old. Good Googly-Moogly!!!!!

That is correct. I was 6 years old.

Went to a drum corps rehearsal with a friend who had older brothers in the corps.

Thought it was great, so I kept hanging out. One of the guard girls suggested for me to march in the A squad with a side arm.

Started marching parades my first 2 years...then carried a pair of 9 inch cymbals. Joined the hornline at age 10 and made it into the field show. I remember getting yelled at a lot, and couldn't wait till I was old enough to quit ticking!

Been doing this ever since. Just turned 50 this year. My youngest 2 boys are 3 and 4 1/2 years old, and they love to go to Sun Devils rehearsal.

It's getting about time for me to retire...... :laughing:

Dang, you old. :laughing: Just like me.

But was Memorial Day, Danville or Mount Carmel (my second season was last year at Mt Carmel).

Started marching DCA at the age of 17 in 1989 (the weekend after graduating high school). When I got there I was given a contra and told that it was the only spot they had left. I don't think they expected a girl (flute player) to be so willing to carry it. Sixteen years later I switched to bari. and have playing with Statesmen ever since.