Pieces that shouldn't be done by smaller corps/groups

Writing for a small line, or one with limited talent, is quite challenging. You can't just transcribe some existing work.

Fewer parts is the secret. Music spread too thin is as bad as drill patterns spread too thin.

Good charts can be written with only 6 parts: 2 soprano, 1 mid, 2 bari, 1 grunt. But it does take some imagination, and there is no easy formula.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Writing for a small line, or one with limited talent, is quite challenging. You can't just transcribe some existing work.

Fewer parts is the secret. Music spread too thin is as bad as drill patterns spread too thin.

Good charts can be written with only 6 parts: 2 soprano, 1 mid, 2 bari, 1 grunt. But it does take some imagination, and there is no easy formula.

I attended a winter guard contest 'bout 5 weeks ago, 6 guards plus an ensemble of 7 (3 soprano, 3 mello, 1 tuba in a gym) they played Canon D :-)

btw 1 son plays trombone, 1 plays electric guitar...

I agree. There's no easy formula.

I was just watching some videos of State Marching band, and watched a band of 27 attempt to perform Malaguena. Unfortunately they only had 7 brass, and the attempt fell a little short. One of my friends sent me a link to a video of a band of 18 playing Phantom Of The Opera. There was no video, just the musical performance, but unfortunately all the different parts of the piece were not even covered. He said that in the 3rd weekend, the band hadn't even done much with drill, even with only 18 members to write drill for.

Over the years, we have had many smaller corps. Which music do you think is too in depth to have a corps/group of under 60 to perform?

I think most larger corps have really good use of music. Some have been major surprises, like Cadets wonderful version of Jethro Tull a few years back, or Cavaliers use of 007 in 04.

But are there pieces you consider to be bad for smaller corps to use in shows? I know over the years Mandarins, Pioneer, Esperanza, Troopers, and others have marched corps in the 60-80 member range, are there pieces you don't think they should attempt to perform for lack of members?

Some music I do feel works well with smaller corps/bands are the music of Chicago, and the music of Earth Wind and Fire. I think pieces like Les Mis, Phantom of the Opera, Malaguena, Malaga, and others tend to leave me feeling a little flat when all the parts aren't covered, although I remember being pleasantly surprised when General Butler Vagabonds performed Les Mis and Carmen their last couple of years, and actually did an acceptable job.

And on the flip side, are there any songs you don't feel should be performed by a full sized 150 memeber corps? I haven't found anything that I haven't liked with such a full sound, but I am sure someone probably has to have an opposing opnion on this.

A small group could do a Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass quite well methinks...

We were a small group, but we were balanced - there were many 45-member corps in DCM w/ 15 Brass, 15 drums, 15 guard. But we had 28 brass, 11 drums, 6 guard, so we tended to sound like a smaller version of a bigger corps, if that makes sense.

Also, attempt what you can execute, and execute what you attempt.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

What impact can the use of synths have with smaller corps?

A small group could do a Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass quite well methinks...

Oh absoLUTELY! The writing's a bit thin and repetitive, but it's fun stuff...the number of parts required would be perfect for a smallish brass line. And if you don't have a full battery? One guy on set and the rest on keyboards and aux percussion. Tijuana Taxi would be fun to see on the field from a corps with a sense of humor.

I have the TJB's greatest hits and every time I listen to it, I think it could be a corps show.

It really depends, too many undefined variables – but I have seen some small line pull off some really great jazz shows if they had a killer soloist

I was really impressed with Dutch Boys space show a year or 2 back, they was well written for their corps

It really depends, too many undefined variables – but I have seen some small line pull off some really great jazz shows if they had a killer soloist

I was really impressed with Dutch Boys space show a year or 2 back, they was well written for their corps

yep...one of the 2 Div III shows I have from DCI (the other being Memphis Sound, although I REALLY want their prelims run)

I was sitting right behind a couple of DB staffers fir their finals performance. Show finished, I got their attention, and thanked them for a wonderful show.

What impact can the use of synths have with smaller corps?

Great question man... would like to know the answer myself... oh, this is my question. :thumbup:

In my opinion, a Corps should play any piece it wants. That there be no restriction whatsoever to any musical piece.

It's not the peice anyway. It is how it is written and arranged. A Corps could have the front battery play some of the more challenging parts if the brass line could not handle it.

That said, it is kind of silly to hear some lower level Corp attempt obtuse music that is way over the marchers ability to perform it adequately. This is nothing less than sheer stupidity on the part of those in charge of such Corps. Unfortunately, I 've seen this a lot over the years. It is one thing to play obtuse music that the Corps can't handle as it is written too difficult and thus gets clobbered in placement. But it is even worse to play obtuse music, get clobbered AND be boring to 90% of the people in the stands. I feel sorry for such Corps. They're usually about to enter the Dead Corps Museum, sooner rather than later.

Edited by BRASSO