Nicholas V. D'Angelo passes

Nick was the musical director and arranger for the Geneva Appleknockers Senior Corps in the late 1950's and 60's.

Nicholas V. D'Angelo

Penfield: April 19, 2010, Age 80. He was born in Erie, PA and was a veteran of the Korean War as a conductor of the Air Force Band. Nick was a Professor of Music at Hobart and William Smith College for 56 years. He studied under various composition teachers including Bernard Rogers, Luigi Dallapiccola, Paul Hindemith & Earl George. His compositions made him the recipient of numerous prizes, honors and grants including a 1985 Pulitzer Prize nomination in music, Hobart and William Smith College's Faculty Award for Distinguished Research and Scholarship for his "considerable distinction as a versatile American composer", First Prize at the New American Music Festival, the National Endowment of the Arts, the National Endowment for the Humanities, and numerous commissions; most notably a commission from the Society for New Music. His music is recorded on Roulette, KLP, Century and Spectrum and has been performed throughout the US, Canada, Mexico, England, France and Italy.

He is predeceased by his parents,. Polidoro & Josephine; his brother, Peter Libra & sister, Mary A. Lang. He is survived by his wife, Eva D'Angelo; his children, Paul (Jenna), Ronald (Amy) D'Angelo & Barbara (Patrick) Riley; his grandchildren, Johnna, Caitlin, Patrick, Michael Riley, Brittani & Nicholas D'Angelo, Clair Donovan, and Samson Auer; many nieces and nephews.

Calling Thursday 2-4, 7-9 PM at Falvo Funeral Home, 1295 NINE MILE POINT ROAD, WEBSTER (Rte 250) where Funeral Services will be held Friday at 11 AM. In lieu if flowers, contributions may be made to Rochester Musicians Assn., Local 66, 875 Main St. East, Rochester, NY 14605 or the American Diabetes Association ., 160 Allens Creek Rd., Rochester, NY 14618. Interment, private.

FalvoFuneralHome.com

logo

He was indeed... had no idea he was 80 - time flies... another historical loss to the activity...

He was indeed... had no idea he was 80 - time flies... another historical loss to the activity...

I remember watching him conduct the Appleknockers indoor concert corps back in 1963. He was always great to me and my brother as we ran around the practice halls.

THere are a lot od D'Angelos in Erie,..................gonna do a little history search,........................RIP

Before my time, but amazing charts for the times. Sort of the Bridgemen of the late '50s and early '60s.

Rest in Peace, and thanks for the memories.

He wrote for the Purple Lancers as well as the Erie Thunderbirds. Some of his best was Purple Lancers 1972...in particular Don Ellis' Final Analysis. I joined Auburn that year because of their sound. RIP Nick...

Donny

I never met Nick, but he was legendary in Appleknocker circles. He conducted them at Carnegie Hall in 1964 at Drum Corps News' "An Evening With the Corps" show (available on Fleetwood Sounds). He succeeded Jack Bullock as music director for the corps and as Donny mentioned also wrote some shows for the Auburn Purple Lancers in the 1969-1972 years. I always enjoyed listening to his music in drum corps. The arrangements were interesting, tasteful, and challenging. In 1970 or 1971 he did an "all Italian" show for the Purple Lancers with "Amparita Roca" as an OTL...fun stuff and amusing. His corps sound was unique. RIP Nick.

Nick was my fathers professor at Hobart College in the 60's as well as a professor of me and my brother in the 80's. Nick was a great musician and musical mind. He was at the hospital when my brother was born in 1964 and was a big part of my families life in the 60's, 70's and 80's. I know that many of you would know him because of his drumcorps history...I knew him more because of writing of jazz and wind literature. His jazz charts were great...wish that he had more of them published....they need to be played again. He will be greatly missed.

RIP Nick!!

Jimmy Steele