My rookie year marching was simply: Trying to survive..

Now that I know the routine (more or less) of how things go during tour, I'm making it a point to NOT get called out from the box. Only a handful of people can achieve such a task, but I always like a challenge :blink:

Now I leave this open to the rest of DCP:

What are/were your personal goals when you go/went into tour/move-in/all-days?

Edited by bmoanhes

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My rookie year marching was simply: Trying to survive..

Now that I know the routine (more or less) of how things go during tour, I'm making it a point to NOT get called out from the box. Only a handful of people can achieve such a task, but I always like a challenge :blink:

Haha, i know what you mean about surviving rookie year. At the beginning of rookie year my goal was very similar to your second goal- make a day without getting called out from the box. :blink:

Have a flawless show...

Not getting called out from the box is another good one though

I'm not even a rookie, so excuse this question, but what is the box?

The box is like a collection of instructors who function as a spy satellite and watch you from above and can see and hear everything that happens. One mistake and WHAM! they got you. They're not shy about telling you and the entire corps about it either. At least that's the way I remember it. I think that term originated from the press boxes built into most stadiums.

It's a term for where the instructors are working from. sometimes it's the press box on top of a high school stadium. Sometimes it's just the top of a scaffold the corps uses for rehearsal. But what happens is that the corps will set up to rehearse a section of a show, and once that section is done you stand ready for instructions and corrections. The staff has a microphone and what you might hear is something like this: "hey, Joe, you feet were off during the 16th note run in that section again." (or insert any another correction/comment) Hearing the correction alone isn't enough - the expectation often is that you'll quickly do some push-ups right there on the spot as a matter of self-discipline, and then you better fix whatever it is you got called out on or it's going to become a problem for everyone.