Does this pass the sniff test?

Most likely scenario: A young guy with corps experience asks some other young people with corps experience, as well as one or two older people, if they want to build a drum corps; a lot of them say, “Yeah, count me in”. They somehow get a person with ties to a foundation to give them some cash; maybe even enough to buy the stuff claimed on the web site. Now they all are convinced that buying some equipment, holding auditions, charging dues, and having fun touring in DCI is what it is all about. With the exception of getting funding, this scenario has played itself out over and over, time and time again for years. I hope the best for them, honestly I do, but this one smells; and smells worse if they actually do have some capital to play with because money mismanagement will kill the corps and hurt the kids..

So we are going to just jump to conclusions and say that its going to fail? Everything starts off with a dream and if they have the money why not let them do it?

Yes, having Michael E. Schmidt on staff is a sure sign of failure.

Very interesting...I'm a relative noob here...so I ask that the info (as it becomes available) continues to get posted here.

I too want to know who this 'Howdy' person is...it certainly sounds like he has a reputation...one he may be eager to overcome (or deny...).

http://schmidt-faq.blogspot.com/

That web site doesn't even begin to scratch the surface, but it's a start.

• Like 1

http://schmidt-faq.blogspot.com/

That web site doesn't even begin to scratch the surface, but it's a start.

wow. I had managed to block all of that out of my memory. Thanks for bringing it back. :devil:

The last few DCP days have made me nostalgic for RAMD, having now seen Catherine Burr and Howdy brought up in different threads.

Where are the Jim Wise and Nick Pallato? Those guys were always good contributors back in the day. Do they post on DCP?

Most likely scenario: A young guy with corps experience asks some other young people with corps experience, as well as one or two older people, if they want to build a drum corps; a lot of them say, “Yeah, count me in”. They somehow get a person with ties to a foundation to give them some cash; maybe even enough to buy the stuff claimed on the web site. Now they all are convinced that buying some equipment, holding auditions, charging dues, and having fun touring in DCI is what it is all about. With the exception of getting funding, this scenario has played itself out over and over, time and time again for years. I hope the best for them, honestly I do, but this one smells; and smells worse if they actually do have some capital to play with because money mismanagement will kill the corps and hurt the kids..

jeez, can we at least wait to beat up on corps at least until the possible new Corps gets passed the capitol formation stage ?

It's like looking at a plot of land a builder put cash down to build a house, and then saying the new house is ugly and smells. This, despite the fact the builder hasn't broken any ground, put any workers to work there, nor even designed the blueprints for his friggin' new house yet.

Edited by BRASSO

One of my best friends is listed on the website. I just talked to him. He's been very tentative about being tied to this until he was able to get more facts and SPECIFICALLY asked to not be on the website. Another case of listed when told not to.

There's something about the drill designer's claims that doesn't pass the sniff test for me either. I could be completely wrong, but...there are some schools on his client list that I could have sworn were written for by someone else. Maybe this guy just teched them one year, and that was enough to toss on his clients list.

What with Howdy on board as well, I think this might be the biggest collection of drum corps wannabees with chips on their shoulders seeking to "prove everyone wrong." Their staff bios are a classic case of "padding the resume" with as impressive-sounding tidbits as you can. And why the He11 would Howdy be teaching contras instead of trumpets? He barely knows the fundies of trumpet and now he's going to teach another brass instrument? The winter snare line instructor currently marches Crown on baritone, and was a trumpet player in high school?

I do notice almost no one that is claimed to be on their staff has marched with one of the corps we call "big boys" (aside from the Crown guy above and one or two others). Looks like they are all people who wish they were better than they actually are, but are somewhat deluded about it as well. Reminds me of this guy:

http://www.ehow.com/video_4931122_swing-ex...ne-players.html

They've apparently taken down his triplet video, but...it was the laughingstock of the (musician's) web for a short while last year.

One of my best friends is listed on the website. I just talked to him. He's been very tentative about being tied to this until he was able to get more facts and SPECIFICALLY asked to not be on the website. Another case of listed when told not to.

That website seems to be getting more like the New York Times by the minute.