Why is Change a so bad?

Exactly, but some people's obsession with seeing marching band done on a WC drumcorps level is clearly more important than preserving an activity that's been in exsitance for over half a century.

It's already being done- I watch LD Bell, Avon, Carmel, Ronald Reagan, et al. And I do like that very much at times for what it is. But it's Band- keep it there, please.

I also like the sublime approach the Japanese have to the same activity, both corps and band- I realize that they're indoors- Japan is incredibly snowy and they finish around Christmas with their season- but what they do is also of high quality, very aggressive, with very technical music and musicality, and isn't using amps, electronics, or filled with heavy narrative last time I've looked. I have no problem telling people perhaps Nishihara HS might have had the best darned HS Marching band in the world, at least on a pound for pound basis.

So-- it's not like I'm hiding under a wet slimy rock either about the issues at hand, it's more that I know what I like, and the more I see happening, that sometimes the Emperor might be walking around stark naked more than some folks are willing to admit out there. :blink:

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, change isn't bad if that change doesn't morph into something we already have. Quite honestly DC is nothing more than a brass marching band, and we have had that for years. Change for the sake of change got us into the pickle we are today, but I won't delve into American politics. :). The problem I have with some people's definition of drum corps is that it's so amorphous and dare I say "open minded" to have no definition at all...which is a hell of a weird way to lead one's life but welcome to the modern American society. So, in essence, words have no meaning unless you can read minds.

Thats right. A lot of people didn't like marching bells in the 1969 Sunrisers and a lot of people wouldn't like marching bells now in the 2010 Sunrisers if the Sunrisers decided to go back to them. ( don't think they will ). The Madison Scouts used marching bells in the 50's. I don't think the Madison Scouts will be bringing marching bells back either any time soon.

Some things change. Some things don't.

Had a thread a while back about what would happen if a corps had a throw back show with marching tymps/bells and no pit. Had explained to me that the pit has it's own caption (somehow - never saw the sheets myself) and a corps score would be clobbered.

But remember... pits are optional.... :blink:

There is no separate caption for pit. But the manner in which credit is given in ensemble music probably makes the pit more essential than the battery. Remember, we've had corps like Ventures and Patriots win without fielding a battery. When was the last time someone competed at those levels without a pit?

There is no separate caption for pit. But the manner in which credit is given in ensemble music probably makes the pit more essential than the battery. Remember, we've had corps like Ventures and Patriots win without fielding a battery. When was the last time someone competed at those levels without a pit?

The word "ensemble" sounds familiar so that might have been the point of the people who responded. Hell, I'm still trying to get used to the "tic-less" system so really lost on the details of what's being judged.

And if it's precussion... Meh... :blink:

Why is change considered so bad?

I can't recall a single person on this forum ever saying that change is bad. Some change is good and some is bad. An example of bad change was Germany's change to Nazi rule in the late 1930s. Your question is a red herring.

Some things change. Some things don't.

Exactly. :blink:

On the issue of what would happen if?

I read somewhere Madison is doing a Greatest Hits show, 10th Avenue and Rhapsody. Would updated retro be considered change? Should they march tymps and everything else to be authentic, or roll out a real piano?

That last I've always wanted to see. :blink:

it's bad because it's a shift in the wrong direction. drums and horns were meant to be played outside...not woodwinds.

plus it just sucks. i like drum corps because it's ballsy and powerful. woodwinds, on the other hand, aren't.

adding woodwinds to drum corps would be like letting the cheerleaders play in the NFL...it might look pretty, but it'd get ugly quick.

Edited by chaos001

it's bad because it's a shift in the wrong direction. drums and horns were meant to be played outside...not woodwinds.

plus it just sucks. i like drum corps because it's ballsy and powerful. woodwinds, on the other hand, aren't.

adding woodwinds to drum corps would be like letting the cheerleaders play in the NFL...it might look pretty, but it'd get ugly quick.

I don't want woodwinds in drum corps, either, but is it really necessary to resort to childish "tee-hee-hee I'm a 13 year-old band geek trumpet player who listens to the stupidest woodwind jokes imaginable from the band director and makes them even lamer by retelling them over and over again tee-hee-hee how do you tune a piccolo tee-hee-hee" stuff?

I was a clarinet player in high school. I was brought to a drum corps rehearsal my senior year and given a soprano bugle. 31 years later I am playing trumpet professionally as a side job. I enjoyed band in high school but there was something about drum and BUGLE corps that made me feel like never before.

I realize change is going to happen. But there is a reason it is called DRUM and BUGLE corps. Because the music is made by DRUMS and BUGLES. There are alot of older fans who were around during the VFW/Amer Legion days who don't like the fact that several groups picked up their toys and played somewhere else by forming DCI. If any of these groups want to play a #### clarinet, sax, flute, freakin' oboe or whatever on the field let them remove themselves from the summer tour and convince BOA to create a non-scholastic division.

BTW, aside from my performances with a DCA corps at DCI shows, I have not attended a single DCI event in years by choice. I just don't get off on it anymore and the ticket is not worth it. I will occassionally hit the lot to hear some nice sounds in warm up.

Maybe I'm old school, maybe I'm wrong, but I still don't buy the ticket because I don't like the product. That is a fact that DCI has got to look at. There are alot of us out there who don't attend for the same/similar reasons.