"FA16" vs "G7"

I don't recall anyone making that pitch in any clinic that I have seen, but there are a lot of clinics I haven't seen....

The in the lot pitch is not made during the clinic over the intercom or in an official capacity; but when the younger members of the audience interacts with the staff and performers on a personal level after the clinic. I have been on the field seeing this happen over and over and over again.

Well, I understand there are some partisan fans who come to DCI events to support "their" corps only. Maybe they are alumni; perhaps they have a family member in the corps; some may just have one favorite corps they root for to the exclusion of all others. Those partisan fans may rather watch their corps warm up, tune up, or eat lunch before they'd watch any other corps do anything. I get that, and I have no problem with corps allowing their partisan fans to seek them out in that manner.

To invite a wider clinic audience to the lot during showtime, away from the other corps' field performances, is IMO a conflict of interest. Maybe that's why there are less people in the seats while the early corps perform....

Some do go in and see the entire show; but have you noticed that there are not many people in the stands during the daylight and the younger crowd starts filtering in around twilight. Here is what someone who does not believe my assesment needs to do: Go to the lot at one of the major shows instead of buying a ticket; stay there until all of the corps' have warmed- up. You will discover that it is filled with high school and college age kids drooling over being so close to the corps. They are the target audience for the corps; they are the future recruits; they are the ones encouraged to watch the Cadets warm-up while Jersey Surf is on the field; to watch SCV warm-up while the Mandarins are on the field; to watch the Devils warm-up while Pioneer is on the field. And it is encouraged this way on purpose, both directly and indirectly, by those bigger corps’. And here is the ultimate catch in this deal: all of the biggies are finished warming-up just in time for thoses watching in the lot to go catch the shows of all the biggies. Convenient Huh?

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny, this "lot" thing. I've bought and watched all kinds of lot videos, and I've wandered the lot watching warm ups, but only up until the first step-off time. I'm always in my seat watching the first, and all, corps (well, except for BD in several years past :thumbup::worthy: ).

So here's a crazy thought that many, I'm sure, will find crazy.

If DCI's trying to get more entertainment on the field, why not move warm-ups to the field? Crazy, huh?

Each corps has 15 minutes to warm up on the field before their show. In fact, let the fans who want to wander down onto the field to watch. Put drums in one corner, horns and guard in their own corners and let fans mill about. Then shoo everyone off the field and back to their seats and let the competition begin. Makes for a nice replacement to pre-show, huh?

Of course, now that I'm thinking about it this does cause several logistical problems, not the least of which is the 10 hours it will take to hold finals.

But, sounds crazy - might work.

I'm not sure what the big deal over "lot watching" is anyway. I'm usually in my seat to watch all the performances also...EXCEPT if I didn't have time to do my souvie run. I've done my souvie run during G7 performances before...BUT that was because I may not have really been interested with the show for whatever reason that season (not any particular corps for that matter)... I say just let people enjoy "the event" how the wish to enjoy it. I think it would be cool to enjoy the behind the scenes look(part of the event itself) and really like your crazy idea, but perhaps for just "smaller events" to make them different. It would be at least interesting to see whether people would be into it on a trial basis at the very least IMO (much more entertaining IMO than kids spinning in circles and running till they fall over).

I'm not sure what the big deal over "lot watching" is anyway.

The big deal is to actually watch the Devils battery book being played without the horn-line and seeing the licks being played so up-close and personal you could be in the line; the big deal is being able to hear the Regiment horns play at FFF ten feet away from you while they are backed up to a building which amplifies and reverbs the sound; the experience is overwhelming! Since we have used NASCAR analogies in the past, it would be like sitting in Jeff Gordon’s car during the fist half of a 200 mph Daytona race then getting out during a pit stop and going to watch the finish of the race from the stands! That is the big deal!

Edited by Stu

I'm not sure what the big deal over "lot watching" is anyway. I'm usually in my seat to watch all the performances also...EXCEPT if I didn't have time to do my souvie run. I've done my souvie run during G7 performances before...BUT that was because I may not have really been interested with the show for whatever reason that season (not any particular corps for that matter)... I say just let people enjoy "the event" how the wish to enjoy it. I think it would be cool to enjoy the behind the scenes look(part of the event itself) and really like your crazy idea, but perhaps for just "smaller events" to make them different. It would be at least interesting to see whether people would be into it on a trial basis at the very least IMO (much more entertaining IMO than kids spinning in circles and running till they fall over).

I kinda agree with you there. Who wants to see a parking lot warm up. NOT ME and because im not a drummer as another poster mentioned.. maybe thats whats its about, the drumming..so thats cool

Liahona and Scoutnout: Just out of curiosity are either of you a high school or college student who has never marched with a corps or been closely associated with a corps? The reason I ask is that it is those types of young people who are outside the inner circle that are congregating in masses in the lot being wowed and addicted by the up-close power of the corps'.

Edited by Stu

Liahona and Scoutnout: Just out of curiosity are either of you a high school or college student who has never marched with a corps or been closely associated with a corps? The reason I ask is that it is those types of young people who are outside the inner circle that are congregating in masses in the lot being wowed and addicted by the up-close power of the corps'.

Many many years in the activity and still teach a Div 1 corps. Anyway theres also alot of tail gate social mixes going on. Its not just HS kids hanging in the parking lots. So not sure what your point is :thumbup:

You apparently are not completely aware of how many people “watch” the corps’ warm-up in the lot giving them a different perspective, then follow those corps’ into the stadium to “watch” that performance.

Actually, I am. The people I'm referring to are most definitely not leaving the stadium. They're apparently enjoying the stadium "amenities" . . . multiple times. And are not the least bit shy about returning to their seats in the middle of a corps' performance.

ahhhh mabe youre right..thats why i run for the lot, who wants to see it....not me. For those who like it kids or not...have at it and enjoy :thumbup:

...Who wants to see a parking lot warm up. NOT ME...

My curiosity was in reference to this statment you posted. :thumbup: And I agree that there are alumni tailgating parties going on, but those people usually do not go over to watch any corps' warm-up (except maybe for their own corps). Point is, the G7 especially want to invite the HS and College kids who are not yet in the inner circle of drum corps to come get wowed by watching them warm-up instead of going in to watch the performances of the lower corps; it is a grerat recruiting tool for those corps.

Edited by Stu

My curiosity was in reference to this statment you posted. :thumbup: And I agree that there are alumni tailgating parties going on, but those people usually do not go over to watch any corps' warm-up (except maybe for their own corps). Point is, the G7 especially want to invite the HS and College kids who are not yet in the inner circle of drum corps to come get wowed by watching them warm-up instead of going in to watch the performances of the lower corps; it is a grerat recruiting tool for those corps.

ok you could be right on that 1 :worthy: