Official DCP G7 Proposal Discussion Thread

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chinese philosopher Lao Tzu wrote 2500 years ago: "There is no calamity greater than lavish desires, no greater guilt than discontentment and no greater disaster than greed." If he's right, then the G7 have concocted a mighty sick drum corps world for us all. The "Greedy 7" proposal may turn out to be a mere dress rehersal and precursor for one of the most spectacular greed surges in DCI history, with jaw-dropping degrees of folly, skullduggery, decadence, excess and high-octane narcissism.

As corps members of the G7 continue to reshaped by these educators and administrators into restless, dissatisfied, and all desiring pawns, greed is being redefined as a virtue and a legitimate guiding principal for the G7's prosperity and general happiness. In the process, it will steadily eat away at the cornerstones of the drum corps society and undermine the visions, values and collective aspirations that made us strong.

Though I believe the above to be true, without greed, our current drum corps structure might have imploded before our very eyes. Greed produces preferable outcomes most times and under most conditions. Greed is also the only consistent human motivation. Most alternatives have revolved around altruism, and failed. Altruism does not seem to be congruent with the way human beings are constructed. No one has been able to construct a society (to my knowledge) where communal altruism dominates individual greed. It is quite obvious that the current state of the drum corps world is no different in that respect. Some of the posts I've read over the last few days have indeed supported this notion.

~Roger

edited: typo with direct quote.

Edited by Liahona

Guys,

Will you all please just cut this out? Honestly, saying that this is killing drum corps. If you would please actually read the proposal, it does not say anywhere that these corps will be leaving DCI behind, all that is says is that these 7 corps will be adding more shows to their schedule just for them, which sounds an awful lot like the TOC from 2004, which if I remember correctly, everyone loved.

Why is everyone blaming these corps for this? I think us fans should be excited that we get more drum corps per summer, as this will mean more shows that we can enjoy. Which is awesome for everyone involves.

And from a member's perspective, I love the idea of more shows per season, and being able to compete against the corps in your bracket sounds good. You can't really get an kind of scope for competition when you only see the rest of your competition at regionals. Being able to compete with just the corps scoring around you sounds like a good idea. When you go to a show sometimes, and there's one corps from the top 5, two from the bottom 6 or 7, and then two open class corps, it's just not the same when the corps at the top 10-points the next closest corps. That doesn't help the sense of competition, competing with corps when there's tenths of points between you is really what gets people fired up and gets everyone motivated to start taking things up a notch.

Whatever, that's the end of my rant. If you fans want to try boycotting these corps and the shows they attend, so be it. But know that it will be you killing DCI, not the members performing every night with every ounce of their being. Have fun killing the activity you claim to love so much.

Guys,

Will you all please just cut this out? Honestly, saying that this is killing drum corps. If you would please actually read the proposal, it does not say anywhere that these corps will be leaving DCI behind, all that is says is that these 7 corps will be adding more shows to their schedule just for them, which sounds an awful lot like the TOC from 2004, which if I remember correctly, everyone loved.

Why is everyone blaming these corps for this? I think us fans should be excited that we get more drum corps per summer, as this will mean more shows that we can enjoy. Which is awesome for everyone involves.

And from a member's perspective, I love the idea of more shows per season, and being able to compete against the corps in your bracket sounds good. You can't really get an kind of scope for competition when you only see the rest of your competition at regionals. Being able to compete with just the corps scoring around you sounds like a good idea. When you go to a show sometimes, and there's one corps from the top 5, two from the bottom 6 or 7, and then two open class corps, it's just not the same when the corps at the top 10-points the next closest corps. That doesn't help the sense of competition, competing with corps when there's tenths of points between you is really what gets people fired up and gets everyone motivated to start taking things up a notch.

Whatever, that's the end of my rant. If you fans want to try boycotting these corps and the shows they attend, so be it. But know that it will be you killing DCI, not the members performing every night with every ounce of their being. Have fun killing the activity you claim to love so much.

If this mostly civil discussion bothers you . . . well, I hope you never hear about what's being said about the G7 within DCI.

If this mostly civil discussion bothers you . . . well, I hope you never hear about what's being said about the G7 within DCI.

Civil? If these conversations are what you consider civil, I am not quite sure if I would like to see what you consider to be out-of-hand and non-civil. I think that this whole thing about not supporting the top 7 corps is the exact opposite of civil.

If the G7 get what they seek, will the bassoons and rackets and saxophones have to sit out when they play DCI sponsored shows? Or do they get to play...but only in the warm up period? How does each corps learn a 'G7' show (wide open instrumentation...) and also a 'DCI' show (no woodwinds...at least after the warm up period...)? Is there enough time in the day for all these masters to be served?

I, for one (ok...for many) doubt it. I think it's a Trojan Horse...a Straw Man...a...well, you know what I think it is. It's an excuse...and what did we learn (in drum corps, most probably...) about excuses?

Come on Bruckner - I would have thought you'd be with us on this! This reeks like a Nancy Pelosi/Harry Reid press release!

They never mention changes in instrumentation as part of this deal...people have made that incorrect assumption based on OTHER ideas. (Yes, GH has been pretty vocal about alternate instruments, but that is separate from this.)

I'm not going to take the political bait, even though you handed it to me on a silver platter.

Civil? If these conversations are what you consider civil, I am not quite sure if I would like to see what you consider to be out-of-hand and non-civil. I think that this whole thing about not supporting the top 7 corps is the exact opposite of civil.

Consumers deciding not to spend money on organizations they no longer wish to support is eminently reasonable. That's what most people on here have done.

Now there are the few who say" I haets teh greedy 7!! i burnz they're t-shirts!!" . . . not too civil. But this is a small handful among the hundreds of posters participating in these discussions. This is my problem with people who hurl the lame "they're all cwazy dinosaurs!!" phrase at DCP. You take the outrageous statements of a few and extend them to cover thousands.

Meanwhile, DCI's directors and administrators are hurling thinly veiled insults at each other in public, and are trying to set the world record on f-bomb/sentence density in private. That's uncivil.

Edited by Rifuarian

i'm not sure civil (polite) is properly used in that sentence. i'm also not sure being polite has anything to do with whether one supports a corps or not based on one's personal beliefs (whether for or against said corps' ideology).

I really think that these seven corps are greatly overestimating their popularity and drawing power should they decide to break away.

I really don't think you have a grasp of reality on this situation. DCI has needed this "punch in the gut" for some time. The G7 are a key component for survival for the activity. I love the activity. However, this is an opportunity for DCI to seize the moment or lose itself.