Official DCP G7 Proposal Discussion Thread

Exactly. Maybe its time to reexamine some of the changes made the past few years if ticket sales are suffering. And maybe even reexamine the premise that we shouldnt be trying to build an audience through the general public.

How many of these 'high school band kids' leave band after high school, never think about band again, and because of that, leave drum corps behind as well?

I said that the other day and it was ignored. thank you for resaying that

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you are serious in wanting to go here? really?

Here's what I'd like you to do. Sit in on semifinals afternoon session with your calculator. Start clicking again when the gates open during the intermission for the top 7. I see some variables here...Madison at 15th...but it's really very illuminating.

The proof is in the everyday arguments here about the importance of going in the stands during the Open Class and lower end WC corps. Where are the people? Out in the lots watching Cavies, Crown, Cadets, etc. WARMING UP. I've been there before. More people watching BD do 8 on a hand than are in the stands watching Mandarins. So, there's your statistics.

Heh.

I've attended finals week the last 10 years, and make it to a few other shows throughout the season. While there are certainly fans that come solely to see the top 7 (which I don't deny), it is hardly an overwhelming majority. People want to see them, sure, but assuming they'll draw larger crowds on their own is nothing but that, an assumption (lacking any real data to support it). The stands are filled with just as many legacy fans, parents, family and friends of current marching members, members of lower placing corps, etc.

Edited by dcsnare93

At first blush look at "it" I find it an education in marketing! Cirque took a dying art form and made it popular, everywhere (and still going strong)! Gibbs, Hopkins, et al are stealing a page from Guy Laliberté where they get the performers in an among the audience, take positive control of performance tempo, professional announcers and celebrities, and lots of in-your-face contact. Drum Corp frickin' everywhere you look. It's a beautiful thing! ($1 to Elaine Bennis for overuse of !)

Is it going to be your father's Drum Corps?......ba bye! The shows will be the same dynamic D&BC, only presented in a fast paced professional package that no longer looks like something the band parents put together! What's not to love?

Is it going to be around for your grandchildren?......if we pay attention and are smart enough to work together.....absolutely! In fact it has the characteristics of going global. Like Jazz, a pure American art form.

Will there be those outside the preverbial chain link fence....it sounds like they are trying to save everyone, but that may be a bridge too far.

I also love the possibility of having levels (AAA, AA, A) so there are more upper echelons and medals. Those levels exist now anyway, why not recognize them!

All in all.....even in its leaked form.....this is good stuff. :tongue:

tell me how good it is in a year or 3 when attendance sucks, and the corps that fed them bodies are all gone.

How are you determining that these corps contribute to increased PAID attendance? As far as I know, there isn't currently any way to quantify what portion of the fans in attendance are attributable to specific corps. If anything, the most well attended events are regionals and finals, which are consequently the best marketed events to begin with. And from my experience, the bleachers tend to be filled with former marching members of a variety of corps, parents, family and friends of current members, legacy fans, current members, etc.

So exactly what statistics support these claims?

exactly. there has been no marketing research shown to support this

Heh.

I've attended finals week the last 10 years, and make it to a few other shows throughout the season. While there are certainly fans that come solely to see the top 7 (which I don't deny), it is hardly an overwhelming majority. People want to see them, sure, but assuming they'll draw larger crowds on their own is nothing but that, an assumption (lacking any real data to support it). The stands are filled with just as many legacy fans, parents, family and friends of current marching members, members of lower placing corps, etc.

Exactly. There are a lot that go for the 'reunion' aspect of it. I hate the dome, but one of the things i like about indy is corps can establish their own local headquarters for the week every year, and it can become a bit of a tradition. I know i'll be drinking in the bar at the omni friday and saturday nights for sure.

Another interesting observation:

The G7 corps seem to agree that the activity is having financial troubles, while also tacitly admitting that they need more money because they spend more money providing a superior product. Their solution: continue to spend a lot of money on their wants/needs while DCI is being asked to cut 50% of their entire budget. "Yea, we spend a lot of money and need to get compensated even more than other corps. On the other hand, DCI spends too much money as well and need to cut back by 50% so they can give us more money."

:tongue:

Perception is often muddled with passion and conviction.

Relevant Video

hey looks and sounds good for a 16th place show

I presume you are prepared to go up to Carolina Crown after one of their 2011 performances and call them Marching Band to their face..... :tongue:

Sure, it's been happening for 20+ years to lots of corps anyway. This time it will be even more accurate. :bleah:

How are you determining that these corps contribute to increased PAID attendance? As far as I know, there isn't currently any way to quantify what portion of the fans in attendance are attributable to specific corps. If anything, the most well attended events are regionals and finals, which are consequently the best marketed events to begin with. And from my experience, the bleachers tend to be filled with former marching members of a variety of corps, parents, family and friends of current members, legacy fans, current members, etc.

So exactly what statistics support these claims?

you make a good point about members\parents of other corps. While im sure there are some that just come for the top corps, how many members\parents\volunteers etc just dont get back to the show until its the top corps time (after post-show meeting, changing, dealing with equipment, getting some food from the truck, etc). I liked to hit the shows whenever i could, but i know i rarely got the opportunity to see those corps that were within a few corps after mine just because of the other things you have to do first.

Edited by AlexL

This is not true. Finishing top 8 does NOT guarantee you a spot in AAA.

It says right on page 35 that the "board of DCI" can move a corps from one class to another by a 2/3 vote. On the previous page, the "board of DCI" is defined as the Greedy7 and 3 other elected representatives. This means that the Greedy7 can vote to deny everyone else the opportunity to be in AAA, as 7 out of 10 is more than the 2/3 necessary to make that decision.

I'm glad you spotted this also! It certainly sounded quite fishy to me when I read it. There will be no other groups breaking into AAA and those 7 will see to that.