Official DCP G7 Proposal Discussion Thread

Heh.

I've attended finals week the last 10 years, and make it to a few other shows throughout the season. While there are certainly fans that come solely to see the top 7 (which I don't deny), it is hardly an overwhelming majority. People want to see them, sure, but assuming they'll draw larger crowds on their own is nothing but that, an assumption (lacking any real data to support it). The stands are filled with just as many legacy fans, parents, family and friends of current marching members, members of lower placing corps, etc.

and....at more and more shows you see people that neverleave the lot because they cant afford the tickets

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I didn't respond earlier. I was nursing my wounds because you were so very mean to me. I think I went through a box of tissues just trying to compose myself enough to write a reply.

I don't normally resort to name calling, but your post sounded like it was written by a freshman in high school debate.

Of course I didn't mean sock hops. Do you think I'm that dense? I'm not still living in the fifties you know. I meant they could maybe have a Friday night disco! Or, perhaps they could sponsor an ice cream social. Or better yet a bake sale! Don't tell me that George and company couldn't take in some serious coin if they'd just take a look at my brownie recipe.

So see...I'm not the backwards dufus you made me out to be. Who looks stupid now?

I think it's your brownie recipe that I've seen many posters say they're concerned about! :tongue:

I say "Hey, whatever keeps your hose up and your hair in a bun!"

Oh, and I agree on the "high school debate" comment.

(Read: Glenn Beck's book)

This has to pass eventually or else dci is dead. These G7 know they could leave dci and make it on their own. Do you think other corps are going to just let these corps just walk away? They know they would be doomed.

I became a fan in 1993 and I used to love to see ANY corps. Now I wouldn't pay anything to go see a show without these G7. I used to hate BOA and all that goes with it, but now I'm more impressed with what the top BOA bands are doing than what is going on in dci. Sure the top 6-8 in dci are fun to watch, but after that it's just not that good anymore.

and do you have the market research to prove more think like you? they don't.

I totally agree with you and Im not saying that " WE " should not be catered to. BUT we have to realise times they are changing and some of us will run with it some may get run over. Am I making any sense.....?...lol

yes. but the point here is that this proposal, and many comments by some of the G7 totally blow the existing fans out of the water. Someone else in here said about the kids roll over...every year a new corps of freshman. very true.

but, then by their logic, once those seniors are gone, unless they are auditioning to march, they dont give a #### about them.

in the 90s when DCI was at it's lowest, it was the dreaded legacy fans that kept the place going. Slowly but surely, they started the youth movement, and then you had the legacy fans and the kids, and the numbers grew.

now with all of the recent changes, legacy fans started drifting away. But...thats ok, weren't all of the changes supposed to drag even more band kids flocking to the gates?

well if so, then why is attendance down?

sure band kids will hit local shows and regionals if the price is right or discounted. I also know after sitting in the theater the last 2 years, the place was 70% older than band kids. Same with Allentown and a YEA event last year. I'm pretty sure, after many tripes to finals over the years I didnt see thousands of band kids running around there.

so really...if attendance is down, they only have themselves to blame, because they insisted on all of these changes that would bring the kids flocking in....and all it did was push old fans away.

and worse...this proposal pushes more fans away

Well, well, well! Now it seems that some people are beginning to see what I was trying to tell them a few months back!

well well...some of us saidf it a few years ago Ron.

I disagree 100% that the Greedy7 could leave DCI and make it on their own. I would give them 5 years, 10 tops.

You are probably also the only person who thinks the quality of DCI shows has gone down in the last 20 years.

I was going to comment myself on the DCI quality, but glad that you set that guy str8.

I'm most interested in this notion that DCI, the organization, has been pi**ing money away. (Think "Drum Corps America, produced by YEA!)

The notion that Dan Acheson has been loose with the nickels is undocumented at best, and pure bunk at worst. Dan Acheson has no more power to do anything without member corps' blessing than I do. "We want amps!" It passes and Dan puts a friendly face on it. "We want 150 members!" It passes and Dan puts a happy face on it. "Anything goes in 'Pre-show'." Again, Dan dances to their tune.

This is about YEA running the circuit, tied to USSBA.

Blue Devils handling clinics? Yamaha runs the clinics for Crown (and other Yamaha users) now. Clinics are the easiest thing to produce for a local show. When BD run clinics they get the take.

The G7 want to take the sponsor connections built over 40 years and use them for their purposes.

If the G7 splits off will equipment sponsors have any interest in what's left of DCI? This is a very debatable point. At least it will be a competition for sponsorships beyond what we have now.

more...

My favorite page is 66

"This is NOT for distribution."

Gee, wonder why?

It's abundantly clear to me that the G7 could go off and do their thing alone, but they can't do it without DCI's structure.

If enough support (begging, pleading, whatever) could sway a few G7's to stay in DCI, and maybe a better DCI as a result of the information coming out and implementation of a few good ideas from the proposal, then it's possible that DCI could maintain it's structure, pick up the pieces, and rebuild to be a formative competitor for sponsor dollars and fan support.