Shirts on!

One of my friends marched Madison '05 and he told me that their Finals housing site required them to wear shirts :(

Must have been a different shirtless all-male corps from Madison that I watched rehearse on finals day 2005 near Cape Cod, MA..........That was a good drum corps...whoever they are.

Madison Rehearsal 2005

Wear your shirts when told. It certainly won't kill you.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was so dark when I was done with tour coupled with my scraggly goatee, people thought I turned Mexican.

the only things that were white were the top of my head, my hands, my feet and my butt.

The women I got after tour.........oh the memories :-)

Someone needs to create a poll, include how many years marched, what years, if sunscreen worn (all the time, most of the time, some of the time, once in a while, never), shirts worn, and skin cancer status. If we could get enough folks to respond the conclusions could be interesting.

Someone needs to create a poll, include how many years marched, what years, if sunscreen worn (all the time, most of the time, some of the time, once in a while, never), shirts worn, and skin cancer status. If we could get enough folks to respond the conclusions could be interesting.

Good idea, but that would be hard to gauge due to skin cancer taking years to manifest. So, mainly those who marched in the seventies and eighties would now be experiencing the effects of over exposure to the sun, and even at that, it could be from exposure that occurred in conjunction with drum corps. What gets me is how some in this thread are approaching this subject as if it were trivial. The stats from the Skin Cancer Foundation should be enough to wake people up to the fact that skin cancer is the leading cancer in the U.S., and it is caused by over exposure to the sun. What else is there to explain about why protection is needed by corps performers during all day rehearsals?

Good idea, but that would be hard to gauge due to skin cancer taking years to manifest. So, mainly those who marched in the seventies and eighties would now be experiencing the effects of over exposure to the sun, and even at that, it could be from exposure that occurred in conjunction with drum corps. What gets me is how some in this thread are approaching this subject as if it were trivial. The stats from the Skin Cancer Foundation should be enough to wake people up to the fact that skin cancer is the leading cancer in the U.S., and it is caused by over exposure to the sun. What else is there to explain about why protection is needed by corps performers during all day rehearsals?

I'm with you but you always have the ones who think they are terminally unique !! Always

This post really did its job in scaring the crap out me, being a member of a southern corps in the upcoming season. When I was in high school marching band I never wore sunscreen and I tanned like heck and now I'm a bit scared about that too. Shirt on... Hat and sunglasses... and sunscreen for the upcoming season, check. Holy hell though I'm going to run through quite a couple bucks buying all those cans though.

Glad I'm informed now at least.

Edited by manif3st0

This post really did its job in scaring the crap out me, being a member of a southern corps in the upcoming season. When I was in high school marching band I never wore sunscreen and I tanned like heck and now I'm a bit scared about that too. Shirt on... Hat and sunglasses... and sunscreen for the upcoming season, check. Holy hell though I'm going to run through quite a couple bucks buying all those cans though.

Glad to be of service. :tongue: But you do not have to become over zealous with the various preventative measures. Read the labels of the sunscreens and you will find out that most people slather on way too much and waist the product. A little goes a long way, and more than recommended does not increase the effectiveness of the product. Just be wise and you will be fine.

I'm fully aware that too much sun causes cancer. I try to take as many steps as possible in all situations to prevent cancer.

However, that '05 tan was awesome. :tongue:

you should buy bullfrog gel

if you're actually going to wear a shirt, you don't need that much sunscreen, b/c the shirt is covering most... little squeeze for each arm and leg.

I would just get maybe 2 bottles. If you start to run out, ask someone on the admin team go pick some up for you. Someone from the corps goes out every day. Or you can grab some at a gas station after a show.

I'm fully aware that too much sun causes cancer. I try to take as many steps as possible in all situations to prevent cancer.

However, that '05 tan was awesome. :tongue:

Shirtless also keeps you cooler -- in fact it's probably the main reason so many kids at practice wear as little as possible (not the amazing tans). Strenuous exertion saturates the fabric of your shirt and actually makes you overheat since the evaporation no longer occurs on the skin. The body keeps itself coolest when working as designed unimpeded by fabric:)

(how's THAT post for drum corps parent :)

Edited by corpsband