Official DCP G7 Proposal Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

That makes sense.  My lack of knowledge HS brain had no clue of the drum corps scoring model.  In my HS years, I just thought anything below a 90 was really bad.  😁     

Well I lived less than 2 hours from Crossmens original home and had an ex corps mate join them before he aged out. Plus my corps, Reading Buccs and Crossmen would perform at each other’s concert shows in the late 70s.

So I’d know more about the organization that lot of others.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I wonder what DCI looks like in the parallel universe where the G7 proposal was accepted?

dead

• Like 4

On 5/15/2022 at 7:28 AM, waliman4444 said:

Not including some of the redundancy, I thought the document's grammatical errors gave the appearance of being hastily produced...That it was never fully realized does not surprise ..just my opinion...I'm just a fan..peace

For people that had been around a long time, the spelling errors, grammar errors, and writing style were telling us who wrote the "Report."

In retrospect, there was quite a bit of disparity in the levels of preparedness and commitment by the groups involved the G7 effort. Depending on the organizations, their intentions seem to have ranged from "negotiation point" to "going nuclear." Had they all been committed at the level of the audacious author, it may have been a different story.

Of course, that's me reinterpreting after the passage of nearly 12 years. Feels more like 25 years ago.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think nobody (myself included) wants to relive the attempted coup that was the G7.  I will however, say something which I had posted a few years ago.   The explosive growth of BAC, the 50+ menber BOD, the massive financial organization of Inspire,  the Boston Financial district's overwhelming support, and so many alumni going all in were, in my judgment,  a direct result of this proposal.   There was a feeling among many people in Boston that this was the final straw.  A considerable group of men and women who marched in the 80s and 90s who had become very financially successful made a commitment to do what ever it took to fund raise to do everything from buying properties,  hiring the best staff, and establishing best practices organizationally.   This proved to be the genesis of the "Building A Champion" mantra.   When will it actually be realized....nobody knows. But nobody can reasonably say they aren't trying.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I will say, I'm thankful that Boston did the Animal Farm show.  When "G7" came up, I got to explain to my students what happened that year politically.

It's amazing how art preserves history... just like our hunter-gatherer ancestors.  🙂

I enjoyed that Animal Farm show a lot.  Saw it first live in Fort Wayne and they hit that G7 form and I actually guffawed, "wait was that G7?  no...they didn't actually go there with this did they?"  A volunteer with BD who'd been touring with them sitting next to me grinned and said, "Yes, they did."  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

What I really liked the most about that show though was the music.  I'd love to see what one of Boston's more recent lines could do cleaning that chart!  The 2014 corps did well but it was clear they were pushing just a bit past what they could clean for the season in some spots.   The ballad though was incredible.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KVG_DC said:

I enjoyed that Animal Farm show a lot.  Saw it first live in Fort Wayne and they hit that G7 form and I actually guffawed, "wait was that G7?  no...they didn't actually go there with this did they?"  A volunteer with BD who'd been touring with them sitting next to me grinned and said, "Yes, they did."  

Yeah the first time I saw it I said what the heck was that?  But it grew on me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

u1L2maO.jpg

Drill by good friend, Matt James. He is the guy who got me into drum corps in high school. 

• Like 2