Corps Shows You'd Pay to See Again

2007 Blue Devils even if it was for just the opener.

2002 Cadets even if it was just for Bugle Boy

To me, those are two of the most entertaining moments in drum corps I've seen

Edited by BeachDrums

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blue Devils 1988. Happy Days are Here Again, Since I Fell for you. I want to hear them in a stadium that seats about 1500 and has no track around the field, like when I saw them the first time.

World Champions.

Hmmm,

Star 1990. Best arrangement ever with a hornline that made it magical.

Crown 2009.

Cavaliers 2002

Top 12 1987-89

Madison Scouts 1995

Going old school...

1983-86 Suncoast Sound

1980-86 Spirit of Atlanta

1982-84 Freelancers

1983 VK

1979-86 BD

1981-89 SCV

1982-85 Garfield

1981-85 Madison

1976-83 Bridgemen

1980-81 27th Lancers

1981-85 Phantom

'77 Regiment

'77 Kilts

'78 Santa Clara

'78 Kilts

'79 Regiment

'80 Regiment

'81 Santa Clara

'82 Regiment

'83 Sky Ryders

'84 Santa Clara

'85 Santa Clara

'86 Santa Clara

'87 Santa Clara

'88 Santa Clara

'89 Regiment

Going old school...

1983-86 Suncoast Sound

1980-86 Spirit of Atlanta

1982-84 Freelancers

1983 VK

1979-86 BD

1981-89 SCV

1982-85 Garfield

1981-85 Madison

1976-83 Bridgemen

1980-81 27th Lancers

1981-85 Phantom

Old school? Ha! :tongue:

Some real old school shows I'd love to see again...in no order...just as I think of them...

1969 Blessed Sac

1966 St Lucy's

1971 27th Lancers

1971 Blue Rock

1970 Troopers

1971 Skyliners

1971 Caballeros

1969 Kilties

1966 Blessed Sac

Most of these I've only seen on DVD...but:

76 BD...I mean come on....the first win....what's not to love? And the chart selections are CLASSIC.

76 Bridgemen...just to be part of the first year of the bannanas!

80 Spirit...to be on the receiving end of all the emotion for Jim Ott during "Let it be Me"

82 BD/SCV...the highest score under the tick and the surprise "Bottle Dance," ensemble tear and all

83 Garfield...to see the beginning of the continual excellence

83 Suncoast Sound...WHAT A HORNLINE!!!!

84 Garfield....so I could finally see it from the audience and in uniform

84 BD...$1 to Jeff Ream in the DCA version of this thread....to see it from my drill spot again.

84 SCV...for the push from "Tenderland" -- lush lush LUSH chords!

84 Madison...the Cats selection...parted my hair at Whitewater prelims (well...the three or four I had)

HM 84....Garfield at Whitewater finals....just so I could SEE the Wipeout!

85 Suncoast..."Midnight in Miami"

85 Star of Indiana...I knew they'd make finals when I saw them earlier in the season.

85 Velvet Knights....OH NO!!!

86 BD....need one say more?

86 Spirit...my fave Spirit show

87 SCV...see BD 86 comment

88 Madison (duh)

88 SCV...should've won

88 Garfield..a VERY underrated show

88 VK...everything INCLUDING the kitchen sink!

88 Suncoast...SO far ahead of it's time...a show I think that would hold up fairly well today.

88 Sky Ryders..."Sound of Music" gets no better (although I'd miss the vid of Tim Kviz #### near head-actioning his shako off at the end!

89 Regiment (see 88 SCV)

89 Bluecoats...my fave 'Coats show of the 20th Century

90 Star....my God....what a show! Fave Star program ever.

90 BD...awesome awesome awesome

91 Star...just so I could see Zingali's Magnum Opus of a closer drill live and scream my lungs out.

92 Cadets....hey, I'm an Air Force vet.

93 BD...how did they every MARCH to Ellis???

94 Magic....great hornline and show.

95 Madison...see 86 BD

95 Crown...my fave Crown show until 07

96 Magic...a great rendition of "12 Seconds to the Moon"

HM 96 Nightfire, just to see my guys on the field again.

97 Madison...see 95 Madison!

99 SCV...they were on fire.

HM 99 BD at the Concord "Lights out" show...finally saw the video and have NO &^#%& IDEA how they continued to march and the play the show with no stadium lights...especially considering that they learned the closer drill THAT DAY!

00 BAC...good old, solid drum corps.

01 SCV...New Era! NEW...NEW...NEW ERA!

01 Regiment....one of the most spectacular endings ever...made me forget 85 SCV for a moment.

02 Cascades...like 01 Regiment, they made me forget the various times Cadets did those charts.

HM 02 SoCal Dream....hey, we did DCI shows!

03 Regiment...GREAT program....almost cried when they first played "Sanctus" on the west coast (since my wife came down the aisle to "Canon in D" which Sanctus sounds like.

04 Cavies...I'll tell you later. :blink:

04 SCV...always thoughts Regiment would do "Scheherazade," but Vanguard nailed it.

06 Regiment...great 50th program

06 BD...I'm Sicilian, duh!

07 BD...FYWW!!

07 Regiment...spectacular

07 Crown...my fave of the year...fabulous!

07 Bluecoats....best use of narration ever.

HM BD/SCV alum corps....over way way WAAAYY too fast(and would've liked to have had BD's drum line at Stanford....thanks guys :tongue: )

08 Regiment...a show so spectacular I didn't even mind them beating my guys! Perfect storytelling in every respect.

08 BD....So close....sooooooooooooooo close!!

08 Bluecoats....for the brass shout in "The Boxer." We had a collective corpsgasm in the THEATER for quarters...finals must've been off the charts!

08 Madison....now THAT'S the old Madison we all know, love, and yearn for!

Edited by 84BDsop

Most of these I've only seen on DVD...but:

SNIP: Amazing, fun, insight-filled list of corps.

Thanks for that, Sam! I read every single word. I can't imagine how long it took you to come up with that. Are you involved in drum corps at all right now, or just a fan? You need to be directly involved somehow, if you're not. That enthusiasm is surely needed!

There are a few shows I long to see live:

79 Spirit...I play contra, OK?

83 SCV...Gianinni

83 Cadets...I must have listened to RPH 1000X between Dec 83 and Apr 84, even while driving out to SCV that April, lol

84 Suncoast

84 BD...La Fiesta, Are You F-ING kidding me? I heard it live, too. I can still hear it. "...and we're beating that? wow, we must be pretty good." used to go through my mind.

85-89 SCV...some of the best low brass lines ever. I heard all of them live except 1989.

89 Phantom..would love to have heard that live.

90 Star...I did hear it live. It was a transcendent moment, that they never captured again, IMO

93 Star under one condition: That I'm allowed to pump up the hornline during finals week. Somehow, they managed to play Dance of Vengeance like a Strauss Waltz. Technically perfect; incorrect implementation.

93 Phantom..heard it live many times, and never tired of it. Finals night was special.

96 Phantom..heard it only once,at Finals. I wished I had taken the time to hear it more that year.

99 SCV..Saw it in Erie PA, a small, yet nice stadium for backfield type stuff. The opener blew me away. Never saw it again :(

04 SCV..Scheherezade, saw it once, loved it.

07 Top 7 corps were so good, I could watch em all and smile. Bloo's tuba book was special.

08 Bloo..never tire of the Boxer

09 SCV..Someone close to me recently described SCV's music approach as "transcription," which made me smile. I look forward to Bartok.

Thanks for that, Sam! I read every single word. I can't imagine how long it took you to come up with that. Are you involved in drum corps at all right now, or just a fan? You need to be directly involved somehow, if you're not. That enthusiasm is surely needed!k.

Wow...thanks for the props! Took me about half an hour....mostly because I was at CorpsReps looking year to year so I could remember those shows!

Just a fan for now....but I'm starting to work on something that has a slim chance of getting back into it in about a year....depends on if I can sell the idea.

BTW....if you have a picture of SCV's last pose after the cutoff in 84, I'd LOVE to have that! Typical of mid 80s camera work....they corps starts moving into it, and then the camera cuts to the DM saluting...which would be fine if they'd GONE BACK to the pose!!

Camera work in the eary/mid-80s sucked big red donkey dick, and swallowed....truly.

Edited by 84BDsop